Farm-Aid

The discussion on John Mellencamp in another thread got me to thinking that regardless of if you don’t like the side of the political spectrum that he’s on, you have to give him props for helping found and being a current contributor to Farm-Aid which helped pass the Agricultural Credit Act. Farm-Aid also implemented emergency hot lines for farmers and farm associations. They hold a farm disaster fund for farmers who lose their belongings and crops through natural disasters. The money raised is used to pay the farmer’s expenses and provide food, legal and financial help, and psychological assistance. Food for thought.

OSB, I’m in the middle of Neil Young’s book, have you checked it out? Neil is, of course, a long time supporter of Farm Aid, and (although he’s Canadian) strikes me as a patriot in the true sense of that term.

Neil’s book is quite unconventional, it appears to been essentially improvised - something this old jazzhead can dig. His new record, Psychedelic Pill, with Crazy Horse, is one of the absolute best of his long career - it has not left my CD player for a month now. The tracks are mostly VERY long jams, but, for me at least, they are mesmerizing.

[quote=“Jazzhead, post:2, topic:38675”]
OSB, I’m in the middle of Neil Young’s book, have you checked it out? Neil is, of course, a long time supporter of Farm Aid, and (although he’s Canadian) strikes me as a patriot in the true sense of that term.

Neil’s book is quite unconventional, it appears to been essentially improvised - something this old jazzhead can dig. His new record, Psychedelic Pill, with Crazy Horse, is one of the absolute best of his long career - it has not left my CD player for a month now. The tracks are mostly VERY long jams, but, for me at least, they are mesmerizing.
[/quote] Neil is a founding member of Farm-Aid and is a current board member. I never dug his music, however he’s got good taste in guitars and he’s one of those people I’d love to have a few beers with. What’s the name of the book?

It’s call Waging Heavy Peace.

Neil’s music is so deliberately eclectic, it’s only a precious few, I’ll bet, who dig ALL his music. But at this point in my life, I’d much rather listen to Neil than, say, Bob Dylan or any of the remaining sixties old guard. NONE of those old rockers who are still around are attempting to grow artistically the way Neil still does.

[quote=“Jazzhead, post:4, topic:38675”]
It’s call Waging Heavy Peace.

Neil’s music is so deliberately eclectic, it’s only a precious few, I’ll bet, who dig ALL his music. But at this point in my life, I’d much rather listen to Neil than, say, Bob Dylan or any of the remaining sixties old guard. NONE of those old rockers who are still around are attempting to grow artistically the way Neil still does.
[/quote] I’m adding the book to my Amazon Wish list. One of my favorite bands “Social Distortion” was an opening act for him on a tour that he did around 91-92. Neil Young definitley had a positive effect on the band, and to this day speak highly or him.

I was on the same plane as Neil Young when he was going from SF to INDY for Farm Aim in 1990. We talked some a baggage claim until the people that odolize him came along and hounded him for autographs. I has a case on my writst, perhaps I should have done so too,. LOL! Later on there was a report that only a small amount of the proceeds ever made it to the farmers for which the benefit concert occurred.

Funding channels for Farm Aid in Kansas lack adequate cultivation / LJWorld.com
There have been many other similar reports. But hey…Since when did Liberals ever expect results?

In his youth in Seymour, IN, Mellencamp was a musician that was too good to lower himself to actually work on a farm. He was too busy partying, DUI, and doing drugs to lower himself that way.

I’d re-read the article. They arent laying most of the blame on Farm-Aid, and crediting them with quite a bit of good work.

NO one want to bite a hand that may feed them even though they aren’t doing the job with the money that they convince good people to relinquish.

I read so many different stories that had the same experience in other states as well. It seems to be SOP for Farm Aid.

OSB: Clear out your pm’s, ok?

Ok, didnt know it was full.

Not that I have anything against people helping out victims of natural disasters, but I thought that’s what crop, home, and equipment insurance was for.