FDA Approves Plan B for OVER THE COUNTER to 15 & above.

Following up on this CLOSED thread…
http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f47/judge-orders-morning-after-pill-available-any-age-without-prescription-40233/index7.html
… the FDA today announced that the PlanB pill will now be approved for over the counter sale to those over 15. The present age is 18 without a persciption.
The recent court case said it must be approved for ALL ages over the counter.
" The FDA said Tuesday’s decision was independent of the court case. Instead, after the Obama administration’s 2011 action, Plan B maker Teva Women’s Health had filed a new application with the age-15 compromise."

So…my take is that this is an attempt by the FDA to AVOID making the required legal decision…by initiating a compromise ruling a few days before the decision of the court must be instituted. If Teva Women’s Health, (the group that brought the suit), agrees to the age 15…then the court case would be moot.
If I were Teva …I’d tell Sibelius to stuff it…she had her chance at 15 for OTC use and over-ruled her scientists and blocked the compromise and dragged Teva back into court. They no longer have to compromise one bit.

The judges decision is supposed to be implemented by May 6th. Stay tuned to see if this is the end or a new beginning for the case.

(Note…since the prior thread linked above was closed… please confine your remarks to the new decision by the FDA and the legal situation. There are plenty of abortion threads available for those who wish to go down that road again. )

The government is moving the morning-after pill over the counter but only those 15 and older can buy it - an attempt to find middle ground just days before a court-imposed deadline to lift all age restrictions on the emergency contraceptive.

Today, Plan B One-Step is sold behind pharmacy counters, and buyers must prove they’re 17 or older to buy it without a prescription or else see a doctor first. Tuesday’s decision by the Food and Drug Administration lowers the age limit to 15 - and will allow the pill to sit on drugstore shelves next to condoms and spermicides or other women’s health products. But customers must prove their age at the cash register.

News from The Associated Press
The attack on morality continues

Thread already exists here: http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f47/fda-approves-plan-b-over-counter-15-above-40549/
Request MODS Consolidate.

Teeny-somethings buying a huge slug of hormones without parental knowledge and without family physician knowledge … what could go wrong? And I can think of some males other than teeny-something horndogs who will find this quite convenient.

I “get” that timeliness is the crucial factor in this being ruled OTC, but at least “adult” and adult women can understand and assume the risk. All the same, I do not think something this risky should be OTC.

There are drugs much riskier that are over the counter, like pseudoephedrine. Getting a prescription for Plan B makes no sense, especially since it needs to be taken within a couple of days, if not hours. If you’re old enough to be having sex legally, then you should also have access to resources that can make sex safe, whether for emergencies or no. And if the law believes you’re old enough to have sex and consent, then why should the law also restrict access to drugs for safe sex, requiring consent from the parent? It just doesn’t make sense. We’re treating people we think are old enough to consent to sex like children.

Umm…15 year old minors, by definition, are children. If someone’s child runs into serious health problems because of Plan B taken unbeknownst to the parents, then another government agency known as CPS can claim that the parents are unfit and take that child from them and place them into foster care where the probability of being abuse/negelcted for real is much higher.

Ummm…the 15 year old has a RIGHT to an abortion without consultation with her parents. At the same time more dangerous and more traumatic than taking the equivalent of an Advil in terms of risk. I’m for the earlier choice that gives a 90% chance of avoiding the later choice.

I love it how the socons are against abortions from the point of conception even before implantation…and yet when given an opportunity to see the number of abortions (even as THEY define them) cut way down through the use of a simple pill…they’re against that too…Presumably because if they don’t get that pill…they’ll have a conception and a pregnancy and then carry the fetus to full term [/sarc]…and then live on welfare the rest of their lives as teen mothers are prone to do.

If someone’s child runs into serious health problems because of Plan B taken unbeknownst to the parents, then another government agency known as CPS can claim that the parents are unfit and take that child from them and place them into foster care where the probability of being abuse/negelcted for real is much higher.

Wow…since plan B 1 step has been widely available since 2009…there should be lots of data on “serious health problems” it has caused…and since it was only available by prescription for under 18…than all those parents who APPROVED their kids taking such a dangerous drug should have had LOTS of kids removed from their callous and sacreligious moral environment by CPS. I breathlessly await your data and statistics on this huge problem and am prepared to speak out against this abomination upon receipt of your data. Please also provide similar statistics for Preparation H which I am informed may be purchased OTC by those of any age…but should not be taken orally. [/sarc]

Such a response from you doesn’t surprise me since you a big fan of mangling unborn human babies with the intent to kill them. The thought that a 15 yo child has the right to an abortion or a drug of any kind behind the parents’ back to facilitates your love and thirst for such EVIL.

I love it how the Pro-baby killers are against anything that limits access to abortions behind their parents’ back for anyone including girls that meet the LEGAL definition of being a child. Pro-baby killers will stoop as low they need to promote their love of killing babies at any opportunity that may be available.

15 year old “children” DO have the right to take drugs behind their parents back. Or are we going to start denying them advil, too?

And if you’re against abortion, why not let them get the drug that prevents abortions?

Talk about nanny state when you won’t let 15 year olds get over the counter drugs without their parents’ permission.

You must be purposely obtuse because no one is that stupid (are they?).Parents are not the nanny-state. Parents, by law, are responsible for their 15 yo children. That responsibility includes being aware of all medications they are taking and all medical/surgical procedures to which they are being subjected. When they are no longer minors and move out on their own and pay for their own medical insurance and/or medical procedures, only then should a truly good parent relinquish control and/or responsibility. It’s obvious that you have no clue about the LEGAL reality of promoting such things and the ways in which it usurps parental responsibilities that already exist.

I’ll think about providing stats when you prove to me that your claim that US birth certificates and/or passports are not required to establish US citizenship when they are born outside of the US and/or its territories.

Does or does not a child have to tell their parent and request their permission for over the counter drugs? I can tell you right now that any 15 year old can walk into a drug store and buy advil or aspirin or any other over the counter drug. Why should Plan B be any different?

Just say you don’t have stats. There’s no use pretending to be holding out because of him, especially when it makes no sense to do so.

So, in your opinion, a pill form of abortion is no different than Advil. You see, that’s your problem. You have no concept of reality.

I’m not wasting my time on the stats per the statement that I made. If you or anyone else don’t like it, that’s just too bad. I don’t jump through hoops just to waste my time for your entertainment.

How is it a pill form of abortion, when it doesn’t cause abortions? If you think it does, provide stats that it does do that.

Oh, okay then.

The pill doesn’t cause abortions. If anything, it prevents them. However, you’ll still be against this because it’s a politically divided issue, not for any logical real reason. Over the counter drugs never have required parental consent of any kind, and Plan B is far less dangerous than drugs like pseudoephedrin, and it can help prevent abortions. There’s no reason why a 15 year old should have to ask their parents before they buy it.

And the other shoe drops…Now the Justice Dept. is going to appeal the ruling that says ANY AGE may purchase plan B. This will NOT affect the new FDA 15 year old age…but the Justice Dept. is asking for the any age ruling to be suspended while the appeal is in process.
This MAY be the first thing Obama has done that Social Cons like! LOL

**" WASHINGTON (AP) – The Justice Department is appealing a judge’s decision lifting all age limits on the Plan B morning-afer birth control pill and a cheaper generic.

The federal government says the judge who issued the ruling had exceeded his authority and that his decision should be suspended while the appeal is underway."**

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:12, topic:39271”]
I’ll think about providing stats when you prove to me that your claim that US birth certificates and/or passports are not required to establish US citizenship when they are born outside of the US and/or its territories.
[/quote]The thing is you have told us of having to deal with this situation with your wife and extended family so I would say your personal experience is more compelling than someone reading it off the internet or such.

What CL said. Parents having control over their own kids is “nanny state?” Trekky, that is posterior-backward.

It’s more like head inserted into posterior.

Why yes I want my children to take drugs they think might be just for fun/sarcasm

The wisdom of children who get together and think they know all and think they are adult enough to do so is nonsense. Boys running around with their hormones going full blast. Sex education classes telling kids what to do. What could be the harm