Feds say teachers hired stand-in to take their certification tests

It was a brazen and surprisingly long-lived scheme, authorities said, to help aspiring public school teachers cheat on the tests they must pass to prove they are qualified to lead their classrooms.

For 15 years, teachers in three Southern states paid Clarence Mumford Sr. — himself a longtime educator — to send someone else to take the tests in their place, authorities said. Each time, Mumford received a fee of between $1,500 and $3,000 to send one of his test ringers with fake identification to the Praxis exam. In return, his customers got a passing grade and began their careers as cheaters, according to federal prosecutors in Memphis.

Cheating scandal: Feds say teachers hired stand-in to take their certification tests - U.S. News

You have to wonder how wide spread this is. With the teachers union and the problem of dismissing teachers for legitimate reasons, it reasonable to think that there are a number of teachers out there who should be removed because they are unqualified.

No wonder they don’t have problems with the students cheating.

Anyone who can’t pass the teacher’s exam on their own after getting a degree…should be required to return the degree.

This was a common practice on Union jobs. Welders had to pass a welding test before being hired to work on pipe lines, power plants, ships, ect… The regular certification was not enough. The skill can be lost from lack of practice or just aging. I worked on several jobs where welders tested for others.
I never saw it on non-union projects, not saying it didn’t happen, just that I didn’t see it.

This “news” isn’t exactly new - this case, not the practice. This character’s scam/scheme ran from 1995 through 2010. I doubt that it was shut down voluntarily. CNN had a report about it almost 5 months ago, yet AP (I assume NBC got their info from AP) only reported it over a slow-news holiday weekend (when it would get minimalnattention)? This smells of a cover-up–minimization CYA move!

The CNN report last July stated that some 70 teachers had gotten their jobs through this cheating scheme. I would be surprised if that number has not grown, due to new discoveries. How many thousands of students’ education were affected by these fraudsters?!

Sex-abusing teachers get minimal coverage (ccompared, for example, to the much less extensive priest abusers problem) from the MSM. Now this certification test fraud case is getting skimpy CYA-grade coverage. Do you want fries with your Bias-Burger and Union Shake-down?!