Feds suggest anti-Muslim speech can be punished

A U.S. attorney in Tennessee is reportedly vowing to use federal civil rights statutes to clamp down on offensive and inflammatory speech about Islam.

Bill Killian, U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Tennessee, was quoted by the Tullahoma News this week suggesting that some inflammatory material on Islam might run afoul of federal civil rights laws.

We need to educate people about Muslims and their civil rights, and as long as we’re here, they’re going to be protected," Killian told the newspaper.

Feds suggest anti-Muslim speech can be punished - POLITICO.com

I am sure the federal government will go after Inmans who spew hate toward Americans–Oh wait I think not with our Muslim president

We need to educate people about Muslims and their civil rights, and as long as we’re here, they’re going to be protected," Killian told the newspaper.

So, sam, are you saying that Muslims shouldn’t have civil rights, or that those rights shouldn’t be protected?

Talking badly about someones religion does not violate their civil rights. Some of us still actually care about the 1st amendment.

[quote=“UNTRugby, post:3, topic:39684”]
Some of us still actually care about the 1st amendment.
[/quote]Not Jazz

[quote=“Jazzhead, post:2, topic:39684”]

So, sam, are you saying that Muslims shouldn’t have civil rights, or that those rights shouldn’t be protected?
[/quote]So what you are saying is I should sue you because you are infringing on my civil rights when you attack christians.

I agree, half the people on this forum would be in serious trouble if it did…still: Killian, along with the FBI special agent that runs the Knoxville office, are set to speak next week to a special meeting with the local Muslim community, informing them about their rights under federal law.
It doesn’t sound like the feds are actually going after anyone, just informing a group of what their civil rights are, I don’t think that violates the Constitution.

What rights? If they are telling them they have civil rights to not have their religion badly spoken of, that just ain’t so.

Right to be treated equally in public accommodations, right to practice their own religion freely, right to equal employment, right to equal housing, right to be free from threats of violence against them…I would presume the meeting would cover that sort of thing: tell the local Muslims that they have the right to pray and hold service free from interruption and that the Civil Rights Act covers religion in addition to race.
Seriously though it just seems like Killian is politely asking people not to be mean to Muslims.

• comes up to testify*

“I am going to plead the 5th on this matter.” :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

No but seriously. I have nothing against normal, innocent muslims, but Jihadi nuts are the muslims Obama wants to protect not the innocent ones.

A U.S. attorney in Tennessee is reportedly vowing to use federal civil rights statutes to clamp down on offensive and inflammatory speech about Islam.

This is not about civil rights.