Fertilizer Plant in Waco, TX Explodes, 70 dead

Several homes are on fire, and residents of a nearby retirement home are trapped inside after an explosion at a fertilizer plant in West, Texas, a small town near Waco. The cause of the explosion and extent of the damage is unclear, but the local Department of Public Safety says that a number of of people are severely injured. The explosion could be felt as far away as Dallas, which is nearly 100 miles away. (Scroll to the bottom of this post for a live feed from the local NBC affiliate.)

Witnesses nearby reported seeing a massive fireball rise from the site of the plant. It’s all pretty scary for those nearby. “I said, ‘This thing is going to blow’ … and I told my mom and dad to get in the car,” one witness told the Waco Tribune. “I was standing next to my car with my fiancee, waiting for my parents to come out and [the plant] exploded. It knocked us into the car… Every house within about four blocks is blown apart.”

A Fertilizer Plant Just Exploded Near Waco, Texas - Adam Clark Estes - The Atlantic Wire

Cell phone video (I really hope the little girl in this video is okay):

EDIT: WARNING This video is very shocking and scary, especially if you don’t want to hear a distressed child. Just FYI cuz it freaked me out.

Yeah, there were several lives lost in this one.

Ironic how something like this gets overshadowed by an event like Boston.

Almost exactly 20 years to the day of the violent and bloody end of the Branch Davidian siege in Waco in 1993.

Either a very spooky coincidence or domestic terrorism.

Not that spooky since it didnt happen in Waco. It happened in West, Texas a small town about 20 miles north of Waco known for its kolaches

Close enough. I bet it’s the closest fertilizer factory to Waco.

Curiously, the Oklahoma bombing, which was a protest against the federal government’s handling of the Waco siege, was a massive fertilizer bomb.

Not here in Texas. This will be on the news here just as much as Boston. It was all I saw this morning on the local news

That video was just creepy. To be that close to that explosion…

Well near as I can learn, there was a fire , which the local fire departments were working on, when it began spreading to Nitreous tanks which then exploded with the force of a 2.5+ Richter scale impact. THAT dear friends is an explosion. Leveled buildings as reported this morning on a 5 mile radius. My only question is why, with this kind of volatility were so many public buildings in such close proximity/ Schools, Nursing homes,

Why would they skip the closest gas station to Waco. Would they drive past the closest oil tanks to Waco too? Or the closest hardware store with dynamite to Waco? Don’t hurt yourself reaching for this conspiracy or jumping to conclusions.

I think is was obviously German’s who made this explosion happen, they are mad at the Czech for making such good kolaches

Another video:

There is that milage thing, ya know.

Check out this story. May explain a few things.
Dozens Feared Dead, Hundreds Injured In Fertilizer Plant Explosion « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

These parts, especially:

School buses and ambulances were sent to evacuate residents from the area.

snip

Dr. Smith said he saw the initial fire and became concerned. “When I saw the fire I went to the nursing home, because I knew there were hazardous chemicals [in the plant], and I helped the nursing home personnel move them [residents] away from the area close to the explosion.”

snip

people being treated for injuries on a flood-lit local football field, which had been turned into a staging area for emergency responders. Triage was eventually moved to a nearby softball field because of a strong odor in the area.

Nice to know that SOME mayors and governors know how to respond to an emergency.
No, not comparing this to Boston. The response there was incredible.
It was in comparison to another disaster when all the mayor and governor could do was the chicken dance.

So, between milage and self-sufficiency (or lack thereof), depending on which team resides in the W.H., which tragedy do YOU think will get the most attention and coverage?

Well…one is in flyover country and the other one isn’t.

Fox covered both very much.

Just going to point out that okc had a stolen uhaul truck (empty) parked outside the federal building two days ago. A similar truck was used in a bomb on the federal building with that truck being full of many different ingredients but having some fertilizer. The okc bombing was done in retaliation of Waco and ruby ridge. I don’t know if any of this is connected or not though

??? BOP??? you serious?

Will we ever know for sure if this was sabotage or not?

Good question.

Now I have one.
We all know fertilizer is combustable. (Well, all of us who went to school, that is.)
What they didn’t each is if it is self-combustable or not. Is it? As in, like hay is?

In either case, horrific as this is, I truly hope that it was stupidity/carelessness, and not purposely done.

It doesn’t need to be. Anything can start a fire, once it’s started then it blows up

Dadgum…

Hmm??? I’m not sure you understood the question. Sure, just about ANYthing can start a fire, but most things need an outside ignitor, such as a person dropping a lit cigarette on the couch, or what have you.

Hay, otoh, if stored damp and mildew builds, just heat alone, (from the sun, i.e.), can make it go KAPLOOHEY! - all on it’s own.

I was wondering if fertilizer had that same characteristic.
If not, an outside source would be needed to ignite it. (Which could even be a lamp blown over by the wind.)

Yeah my bad I didn’t explain we’ll. I don’t think fertilizer is that unstable, I think it needs an igniter. In bombs it’s usually combined with another ingredient to become explosive. ANFO for example is a mix of fertilizer and “fuel oil”