Fiction or non fiction?

I’m a new member here but I notice a few posts asking about books, authors and last book read.

Just curious what you guys like to read, fiction or non fiction?
In either category, what do you read, biography, economics, political, … scifi, mystery, adventure, …

Who are your favorite authors?
What are your favorite books?

I love a good mystery.
Nelson DeMille, James Patterson, Brad Thor, Catherine Colter, Dean Kootz, David Baldacci, Dan Brown, … I could go on and on.

As for books, Dean Koontz isn’t my favorite author but his Odd Thomas series are my favorite books.

I don’t read as much as I used to (not as much opportunity to get out to the library, and the only ones I have ready access to are small); I wish I did, because it helps inspire me for the amateur ficion that I write. Most of what I have read has either been nonfiction aviation and military aviation material and art technique books (not that I’ve been able to put them into much practice), and the Bible. In fiction, I’ve read a lot of sci-fi (mostly Star Trek novels) and fantasy, although I’ve also read a number of Agatha Christie mysteries (mainly Miss Marple and Poirot; I generally prefer the latter). I don’t focus much on individual authors, although in the Trek novels, Peter David is one of my favorites, and in military aviation, Bill Gunston’s name is on a lot of my books.

I have dry periods now and then but I’m a big reader.
I have done several books a week, but more often it’s 2 books every week and a half or so.

I’m retired, love the warm weather and enjoy being outside so I go to the pool or the beach or a park with a chair a book and a bottle of water and read.
I go back to NJ for a month at Christmas time that’s usually my slow period.
I can take a month to get through a book.

Love to read not much time to do it though. I can normally finish a 350 page book in about 8 hours.

My favorite author is R.A. Salvatore. I am a big fan of the fantasy genre though I have picked up a few non-fiction books before but most of the time those are the classics.

I also find it hard to find time to read these days, but when I do, I typically read either non-fiction (typically something about physics, history, computers or architecture), fiction (either political biographies or sic-fi).

I love Arthur C. Clark, Asimov and all the writers of that generation, though occasionally I’ll find someone new who has a new and interesting idea (China Mieville, for example).

Then, there is what I read for school, which tends to be part of the literary (Shakespeare, Faulkner, Hemingway, Oates etc.) or historical canon (Wood, Allison, McCullough etc.).

I have to mix it up. For every hardcore piece of non-fiction I need a couple doses of brain candy after. I love history but it can be very dry at times.

1 Like