Fitness guru Jack LaLanne dies

Jack LaLanne, a one-time sugar-holic who became a television fitness guru preaching exercise and healthy diet to a generation of American housewives, died on Sunday at age 96, his daughter said.
LaLanne, who became U.S. television fixture in his close-fitting jumpsuit starting in 1959 and came to be regarded as the father of the modern fitness movement, succumbed to pneumonia following a brief illness at his home in Morro Bay, along the California’s central coast.

Fitness guru Jack LaLanne dies at 96 in California | Reuters

Here is a man who is a legend. LaLanne in his older age was an inspiration to many to still exercise.

In one of the comments it points out that George Burns lived to be 100 without exercise. I am reminded of the Kellogg’s brothers who exemplified this.

One brother was a fitness guy and the other started the cereal company and both died at the same age.

Will Keith Kellogg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jack LaLanne helped me Keep fit when I was pregnant with FC.

“I can’t die,” LaLanne would say. “It would ruin my image.”

RIP Jack LaLanne

On his TV show, he would use just a chair and a towel because he knew most people did not have exercise equipment back then… 1950’s.

It was in the sixties when I watched - and exercised - with him. Started out with Ed Allen, then they took him off WGN, and put on Jack LaLanne. Then when they took him off, they put on some dippy woman - Gloria something or other, the program was called “Exercise with Gloria.” She seemed to be there more to “show off” than instruct people in exercising - at least that is the impression I got. I eventually gave up my regular exercising regime because I couldn’t stand her.

[quote=“Susanna, post:4, topic:28944”]
It was in the sixties when I watched - and exercised - with him. Started out with Ed Allen, then they took him off WGN, and put on Jack LaLanne. Then when they took him off, they put on some dippy woman - Gloria something or other, the program was called “Exercise with Gloria.” She seemed to be there more to “show off” than instruct people in exercising - at least that is the impression I got. I eventually gave up my regular exercising regime because I couldn’t stand her.
[/quote]There were two female exercise programs I remember

One was a woman who really knew how to exercise and the other was eye candy for men because she could not exercise much of anything but men’s imaginations.:wink:

TV: One, Two - TIME

Gloria could exercise all right - but I felt she was just showing off. She would probably have been considered “eye candy” for the men, too. Ed Allen & Jack LaLanne were just no-nonsense, let’s work at getting/being fit.

Other than Richard Hittleman’s 28 Day Yoga Excersize Plan, - from a book - I’ve never used any excercize/diet whatever program. I never did get into work outs that took your mind off what you were doing with loud music, or made you beat yourself to death to achieve a goal.
What is BEST about Hilltleman’s is the pure joy and calm experienced within from the movements.