Fixing bath tub faucet

Yesterday I noticed that the faucet was dripping so I figured today I would shut off the water and get out the washers and the tools.

So here I am, I shut off the water and turned the water heater to pilot and turned on a faucet to drain water before working on the faucet.

The thought came to mind that perhaps I needed a special wretch to access the recessed valve. I have done this before and I figured these valves were the brass type.

Nope.

I removed the screw and pulled out the stem and it was plastic and not brass which I would expect on a older home.

So I put it back together figuring I would have to go to the store and see if I could find a replacement.

To my surprise once I reassembled the faucet the leak vanished. I figure what occurred was the screw had loosed and it somehow allowed the valve not to close completely.

Who says an old man can not learn?

This reminds me that I want to check the washers on the outside faucets come warmer weather

The other possibility was a bit of dirt getting into the valve washer and upon opening the dirt was dislodged.

[quote=“njc17, post:2, topic:32724”]
The other possibility was a bit of dirt getting into the valve washer and upon opening the dirt was dislodged.
[/quote]I vote with njc. I have had that same thing happen on more than one occasion. I always clean first, and replace, later.

Sometimes the seat will have a burr that damages the washer.
If you remove the washer and put it back in a different position it will seal again until the burr messes up the new spot.

I would probably have a new seat and washer in the drawer just in case, at least you have time to research and find the parts now without hearing a constant drip!

When I took the handle apart I discovered it was a Moen with a 1224 cartridge in it. I believe that when I reassembled it I tighten the screw and that forced the cartridge to compress the spring which stopped the drip.

I had expected the faucet to have brass stems which I am familiar with. I have extra faucet washers from doing other work but as I found out I did not need them.

The Moen is a ceramic cartridge and what you did WAS dislodge some foreign matter, fairly common with these type of valves.

[quote=“njc17, post:6, topic:32724”]
The Moen is a ceramic cartridge and what you did WAS dislodge some foreign matter, fairly common with these type of valves.
[/quote]All I know is it stopped leaking and I did not have to buy a new one.

Our bathtub faucet is starting to drip a bit. I don’t know how to mess with it, so I will probably get the guy who does most of our plumbing to do it. He is retired, but he is usually able to accommodate me when I need plumbing workd, and he just lives about 10 minutes away.

[quote=“Susanna, post:8, topic:32724”]
Our bathtub faucet is starting to drip a bit. I don’t know how to mess with it, so I will probably get the guy who does most of our plumbing to do it. He is retired, but he is usually able to accommodate me when I need plumbing workd, and he just lives about 10 minutes away.
[/quote]I had replaced two faucets with newer ones and put washers in another one but I felt the tub was okay. Luckily the drip was easy to fix. I still want to check the frostproofs and replace the washers. A frostproof is a fauct which has a very long stem so that the washer seated is inside the home and not subject to freezing.

It is just a matter of unscrewing the valve and replacing the washer.

If you ever try to stop the dip in the tub be sure to set the flame on the water heater to pilot and shut off the water before proceeding.