flashback self therapy: grad school revisited

when jousting recently with another poster, who was demanding scholarly standards of evidence, i started having ptsd flashbacks (smile) to my PhD writtens. for therapy, i started looking for them this morning but havent found them yet. did find a buncha term papers from grad school. so for any folks who werent even born yet, here is what we wrote term papers about in the early 1970s. with a typewriter. i am so glad portable computers were invented even tho i cuss them all the time.

“Views of explanation in culture theory: white, kroeber and malinowski” (30 pages for david bidney)
“social structure in levistraussia: alliance for solidarity (+) against history (-)” (20 pages for judith hansen)
“social exchange in social change: a logical analysis” (17 pages for chien chiao)
“some theoretical problems in studying child-rearing as enculturation” (21 pages for melody forgot last name)
“the relationship between freedom and responsibility among the plains indians” (45 pages for david bidney)
“some jural and economic aspects of african bridewealth, marriage, and divorce” (19 pages for james vaughn)
“patterns of political expansion and consolidation among the lake-river nilotes of east africa” (24 pages for james vaughn)
“passion and disillusionment: african education in kenya” (23 pages for richard stryker)
“chinua achebe and the tragic tradition in western literature” (16 pages for forgot name)

some others around somewhere. anyway, boys and girls, thats what we were writing about back in the early 1970s. this works as sleep therapy, too. :asleep: that must be why i kept them.

Patricia,

Interesting, those titles back in the 70’s.

I note that the subject matter of the term papers of the 70’s
were saner than what the secular degenerate professors of
the 21st century might possibly ask of their students.

These term paper title possibilities came from my imagination:

Are they intended to insult the secular academic talking head
professors of the 21st century? Yes!

“How To Maintain Self-Esteem Even When You’re To Lazy To Get The Lice Out Of Your Hair.” (20 pages)

:howler:

"Harry Potter As A Reincarnation Of Lady Goo Goo’s Transvestite Chihuahua. (16 pages)

:banana:

“What To Do When Your Arms Will Not Reach Around The Entire Tree When You’re Hugging It.” (68 pages)

:freaked:

“Are You Guilty Of Eating Corpse Broth When You Partake Of Chicken Broth?” (30 pages)

:thatsfunny:

“Five Reasons Why It Is Racist To Believe That Feminists Have More Gorilla-Like Leg Hair Than Normal Women.” (50 pages)

:rofl:

“How To Proudly Perform A Word [SIZE=3]*Re-Appropriation On Being A Groveling Sniveling Politically Correct Coward.” (57 pages)[/SIZE]

:drink3:

***Re-Appropriation - **the deliberate well-thought-out and bold public use of a word
over a long period of time, by which a group reclaims a word that has become a
pejorative (insult) and brings it back into acceptable usage in the public mind,
to the extent that they can now wear the word as a label of pride and transform
what was formerly an insult word into a synonym for what is good, decent, noble,
and honorable. For example, they repeat endlessly and publically that “we are proud
to be Groveling Sniveling Politically Correct Cowards” and they keep doing this
boldly and publically until the soft wimpy equality-worshiping Western electorates
meekly submit and agree with them that being a Groveling Sniveling Politically Correct
Coward is a good, decent, noble, and honorable thing to be." __Jack H.
(to my best knowledge I assembled all that … I found it on one of my index
cards that I’d written and filed away]

↑ :thatsbs: too, but it pretty much describes the gullibility of liberal secular Western electorates!

:diamonds: :diamonds: - :diamonds: :diamonds:

2 Likes

[quote=“patriciareed, post:1, topic:43191”]
when jousting recently with another poster, who was demanding scholarly standards of evidence, i started having ptsd flashbacks (smile) to my PhD writtens. for therapy, i started looking for them this morning but havent found them yet. did find a buncha term papers from grad school. so for any folks who werent even born yet, here is what we wrote term papers about in the early 1970s. with a typewriter. i am so glad portable computers were invented even tho i cuss them all the time.

“Views of explanation in culture theory: white, kroeber and malinowski” (30 pages for david bidney)
“social structure in levistraussia: alliance for solidarity (+) against history (-)” (20 pages for judith hansen)
“social exchange in social change: a logical analysis” (17 pages for chien chiao)
“some theoretical problems in studying child-rearing as enculturation” (21 pages for melody forgot last name)
“the relationship between freedom and responsibility among the plains indians” (45 pages for david bidney)
“some jural and economic aspects of african bridewealth, marriage, and divorce” (19 pages for james vaughn)
“patterns of political expansion and consolidation among the lake-river nilotes of east africa” (24 pages for james vaughn)
“passion and disillusionment: african education in kenya” (23 pages for richard stryker)
“chinua achebe and the tragic tradition in western literature” (16 pages for forgot name)

some others around somewhere. anyway, boys and girls, thats what we were writing about back in the early 1970s. this works as sleep therapy, too. :asleep: that must be why i kept them.
[/quote]What the heck is “jural”?

My “Critical region anomalies and phase transition constants” would rival your papers as sleep aids.

original quote from BobJam

What the heck is “jural”?
think legal.

My “Critical region anomalies and phase transition constants” would rival your papers as sleep aids.
:holy sheep you win, hands down. I cant even figure out your subject area. geography? ecology? linguistics? brain surgery?

I don’t suppose any of these writings are available to read? I’m interested in reading some of the less mainstream works from the 1970’s in those fields. I’m pretty sure I’ve read even read some of the works of David Bidney. Is very cool to to hear of someone writing PhD level works in the socio-anthropological(I assume?) field from that time frame.

[quote=“patriciareed, post:4, topic:43191”]
geography? ecology? linguistics? brain surgery?
[/quote]Physical Chemistry . . . and at this stage of the game, I’ve destroyed so many brain cells, I don’t even understand what I wrote myself. I guess that was in the long gone days when I was smart.

Now, I can barely balance my checkbook.

[quote=“Jack_Hectormann, post:2, topic:43191”]
These term paper title possibilities came from my imagination:
[/quote]Your imagination made the liquid I was drinking come out of my nose. (That’s a GOOD thing, BTW.)

[quote=“Jack_Hectormann, post:2, topic:43191”]
“Five Reasons Why It Is Racist To Believe That Feminists Have More Gorilla-Like Leg Hair Than Normal Women.” (50 pages)
[/quote]This is my favorite, but they were all . . . priceless!

1 Like

[quote=“EZCW, post:5, topic:43191”]
I don’t suppose any of these writings are available to read? I’m interested in reading some of the less mainstream works from the 1970’s in those fields. I’m pretty sure I’ve read even read some of the works of David Bidney. Is very cool to to hear of someone writing PhD level works in the socio-anthropological(I assume?) field from that time frame.
[/quote]gosh i’m flattered that anyone would even be interested in reading these dinosaurs, (and please remember they are only term papers) but we can talk about it. please message me privately and tell me a little about yourself so I would know where my “babies” are going.

I am delighted that the name david bidney resonated with you. he was one of my favorite teachers of all time, even tho he was a hard grader and some avoided his classes for that reason. I was no exception–he didn’t do my gpa any big favors–but he was an inspiring teacher. I believe he practiced orthodox Judaism, a bit unusual in academia. btw the archives at IU have a large collection of his papers.

he was short and plump, and his wife was the same. once I was standing next to a fellow grad student (who also loved prof. bidney) at a departmental social event. he looked across the room at the bidneys, and he said, “omg, i’m looking at a pair of salt and pepper shakers!” I looked across the room and that’s exactly what I saw too!
like this
[ATTACH]2069[/ATTACH]

[quote=“BobJam, post:6, topic:43191”]
Physical Chemistry . . . and at this stage of the game, I’ve destroyed so many brain cells, I don’t even understand what I wrote myself. I guess that was in the long gone days when I was smart.

Now, I can barely balance my checkbook.
[/quote] well, all I can say is that by some magical process, you come up with some brilliant posts.

1 Like

This David Bidney?

https://ph.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A2oKiHJ6j0lTBkYAnCK1Rwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTIya2hhMzZvBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAMzYWU5MWYzMGY2NGRlYWIxN2IxODA5MTE2NGU0MzlkNQRncG9zAzIEaXQDYmluZw--?back=https%3A%2F%2Fph.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Ddavid%2Bbidney%26ei%3Dutf-8%26fr%3Dsfp%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D2&w=600&h=741&imgurl=upload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2F7%2F75%2FMaurice_Bloch.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jewprom.50webs.com%2FJewPromSite_files%2Fsheet149.htm&size=91.9KB&name=<b>David+Bidney<%2Fb>&p=david+bidney&oid=3ae91f30f64deab17b18091164e439d5&fr2=&fr=sfp&tt=<b>David+Bidney<%2Fb>&b=0&ni=21&no=2&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11s4d1645&sigb=130she4rm&sigi=11t7hsi5h&sigt=10j4fneig&sign=10j4fneig&.crumb=tGsj.5nm9sc&fr=sfp

♫ ♪

[QUOTE=Jack Hectormann;663640]This David Bidney?DEFINITELY NOT

THAT GUY DOESNT LOOK LIKE A SALT SHAKER. LIKE THIS. [ATTACH]2068[/ATTACH]]

the guy in your pic is pretty hunky tho. in a liberal kind of way.

I guess I missed that one,
I thought I had found a pic
of David Bidney because
I kept getting a pic of this book …

… along with the pic of David Bidney …
I checked Bing Images, Yahoo images,
and Google Images and I kept getting
pics of the book and the “hunk” together

:slight_smile:

Why’d I even bother?
… lol … I have “a thing” about trying to locate
pics of people on the web, and other stuff
that’d be likely hard to find, its like a little
entertaining game I play with myself.

I am often successful. This time, not :smile:

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

[quote=“Jack_Hectormann, post:12, topic:43191”]
I guess I missed that one,
I thought I had found a pic
of David Bidney because
I kept getting a pic of this book …

… along with the pic of David Bidney …
I checked Bing Images, Yahoo images,
and Google Images and I kept getting
pics of the book and the “hunk” together

:slight_smile:

Why’d I even bother?
… lol … I have “a thing” about trying to locate
pics of people on the web, and other stuff
that’d be likely hard to find, its like a little
entertaining game I play with myself.

I am often successful. This time, not

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
[/quote] jack I think you may be onto something. notice that the book has an intro by “martin bidney.” though I never knew much about prof. bidney’s family, i’m guessing that martin bidney is a son. who knew? the salt and pepper shakers produced a wild stallion?

1 Like

Don’t worry about it, BJ. You don’t balance one’s checkbook chemically anyway.

1 Like

[quote=“Pappadave, post:14, topic:43191”]
Don’t worry about it, BJ. You don’t balance one’s checkbook chemically anyway.
[/quote]And my calculator has a bunch of “log” buttons and all manner of “arc cos” “arc tan”, “arc (this)” and “arc (that)” buttons (I know they are trig functions, but that’s it), and I have absolutely no idea how or why I would ever use them, but at one time apparently I DID.

It’s a good thing balancing your checkbook just requires adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing WHOLE NUMBERS. THAT I can do.

It’s always amused me that even in basic mode, a calculator will show the square root symbol. I remember in school I learned how to do square roots manually. Now, I couldn’t even BEGIN to do that, and would have to use the calculator key if balancing your checkbook required doing square roots.

But, Phewwwww, balancing the checkbook, as you said, doesn’t require Chemistry equations, nor does it require square roots. (Why in the heck would that square root button be there in the basic mode anyway? I mean, what square root operations are needed in day-to-day events anyway?)

Yeah, I wouldn’t know how to do trig functions any more, either; I also learned to do square roots manually, in seventh grade, I think. Recently I looked it up on the internet, and I have a paper I printed out that shows how, but I can’t do it without following the paper in detail. It seems that most math functions beyond the basic (add, subtract, multiply, divide) are so rarely used - unless you are in a profession that requires them - that they are easily lost.

1 Like