Florida man charged with felony for romantic balloon-release gesture

Florida man charged with felony for romantic balloon-release gesture on Valentine’s Day

Meet Anthony Brasfield, charmer and now an alleged felon for his amorous efforts:
Anthony Brasfield saw romance when he released a dozen heart-shaped balloons into the sky over Dania Beach with his sweetie. A Florida Highway Patrol trooper saw a felony.
Brasfield, 40, and his girlfriend, Shaquina Baxter, were in the parking lot of the Motel 6 on Dania Beach Boulevard when he released the shiny red and silver mylar balloons and watched them float away Sunday morning.
Also watching the romantic gesture: an FHP trooper, who instead noted probable cause for an environmental crime.
Brasfield was charged with polluting to harm humans, animals, plants, etc. under the Florida Air and Water Pollution Control Act.

Florida man charged with felony for romantic balloon-release gesture on Valentine’s Day « Hot Air

Flahriduh is the new Kalifornia.

With all of the Northeastern transplants and illegal aliens, they are bound to be no different in their stupidity.

What if a cute little baby duckling got ahold of one of those balloons and ate it? :frowning:

Being in the Coast Guard for ten years I certainly understand environmental concerns.

HOWEVER…a felony??? REALLY?
Far too often Politian’s make laws with over reaching punishments.
A misdemeanor can put a person in jail for one year and cost them $1000!!!
Is that NOT strong enough for a stupid balloon release?
Remember our elected officials commit crimes all the time and are not held accountable. (different topic I know)
But to take this mans right to vote? Right to own a firearm? Destroy job opportunities?
Too much punishment for a simple lack of awareness.

[quote=“Moby, post:5, topic:38441”]
Being in the Coast Guard for ten years I certainly understand environmental concerns.

HOWEVER…a felony??? REALLY?
Far too often Politian’s make laws with over reaching punishments.
A misdemeanor can put a person in jail for one year and cost them $1000!!!
Is that NOT strong enough for a stupid balloon release?
Remember our elected officials commit crimes all the time and are not held accountable. (different topic I know)
But to take this mans right to vote? Right to own a firearm? Destroy job opportunities?
Too much punishment for a simple lack of awareness.
[/quote] I take it you didn’t pick up on the sarcasam there…

I did partner. I was addressing the article that stated an environmental law was broken.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. The cop that witnessed the act should have known better.

[quote=“Moby, post:7, topic:38441”]
I did partner. I was addressing the article that stated an environmental law was broken.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. The cop that witnessed the act should have known better.
[/quote] Agreed. It’ll probably be tossed out. But the Cop should be demoted to Dog Catcher.

I agree on the un-reasonableness of the “felony” and the fine. I disagree on the law itself being nutty. These things are REALLY damaging to wildlife…particularly endangered turtles and sea birds and there should be laws prohibiting DELIBERATE release and with misdemeanor type fines for first offenders.
I am a CONSERVATIONIST which used to be an honorable term among conservatives…particularly those who like to hunt & fish.
This is obviously a case of overkill…but there IS a reasonable principle behind the law.

How come that fool who claimed his son was in that big silver balloon floating away wasn’t charged with endangering the environment? His stupid balloon was made of the same stuff–mylar. And, wasn’t this same idiot from Florida, too? Geesh…it’s gotten nuttier and nuttier since I left that state of confusion!!

It is under a communist choke hold.