For Ronald Reagan's Fans

A treasure of photos I found: Ronald Reagan

(edited as requested ~JStang)

I could have sworn I put Ronald Reagan Fans. Can a mod change the title? Thanks.

Oh Ronald Reagan… an actor president, a television president, who surrounded himself with such bad people… Oliver North, Cap Weinberger, Jack Kemp. What a complex man - his face and words soothed and invigorated a nation in times of crisis, and yet his administration propagated such disastrous policies and misguided practices. Inconsistent in ideology, inconsistent in results, and yet so inspiring. What does one think of a man like that?

He had good results during a time when America needed good results, even if in the long run it hurt us. And what do you have against Jack Kemp? You may not like his politics but he was a great person and a great legislator. Not to mention football player.

He had good results during a time when America needed good results, even if in the long run it hurt us. And what do you have against Jack Kemp? You may not like his politics but he was a great person and a great legislator. Not to mention football player.

I probably wouldn’t put Jack Kemp in the same category as North and Weinberger, who I hold responsible for Iran Contra and the embezzlement of millions of taxpayer dollars. He did, however, explode the national deficit with his supply-side economics. It was him and his persuasion of Ronald Reagan that supply-side was viable that put the United States on the course towards out of control deficit spending and an economy elevated above market performance by debt-fueled government spending.

A TIME FOR CHOOSING (The Speech – October 27, 1964)

President Reagan - We Must Fight - YouTube

This version gets me every time.

[quote=“cynicaloptimist, post:3, topic:39845”]
Oh Ronald Reagan… an actor president, a television president, who surrounded himself with such bad people… Oliver North, Cap Weinberger, Jack Kemp. What a complex man - his face and words soothed and invigorated a nation in times of crisis, and yet his administration propagated such disastrous policies and misguided practices. Inconsistent in ideology, inconsistent in results, and yet so inspiring. What does one think of a man like that?
[/quote]But but but Obama is okay right?

What a complete crock of horse carp.

Reagan’s policies turned this nation around from a downward spiral, almost as bad as the one we’re in today.

And with a hostile congress.

[quote=“Susanna, post:10, topic:39845”]
And with a hostile congress.
[/quote]Bingo. A congress that lied about doing things when Reagan signed their bills.

Im not buying that. The “democrats tricked him” excuse is the one used for Reagan’s abortion expanding bill in 1967. Are we really supposed to believe that Reagan was so slow he got tricked with the same trick over and over and over and over for 20 years? What happened to, trust but verify? Reagan is responsible for it all the good and the bad.

[quote=“UNTRugby, post:12, topic:39845”]
Im not buying that. The “democrats tricked him” excuse is the one used for Reagan’s abortion expanding bill in 1967. Are we really supposed to believe that Reagan was so slow he got tricked with the same trick over and over and over and over for 20 years? What happened to, trust but verify? Reagan is responsible for it all the good and the bad.
[/quote]Well all I can say I was around when this was going on and if you think the democrats didn’t do it then I guess you buy into the story of how the poor democrats were bullied by Reagan while they increased debt and failed to honer their pledge on immigration.

Im not saying the democrats didnt lie, Im saying Reagan knew they wernt going to hold up to their end of the bargain and signed the bills anyway

I digress that while I’m very mixed about the long-term wisdom of his economic policy his ability to work through a Congress he never once had a majority in is probably one of his most impressive feats.

But but but Obama is okay right?

I tend to try and avoid absolutes, but I think President Obama has done good things in ending the War in Iraq, passing equal pay for women, killing Osama Bin Laden, and helping the nation recover from recession. I think he has done bad things in continuing to seize private property without warrants (PRISM) and all the other scandals that have rocked his administration.

What a complete crock of horse carp.

Reagan’s policies turned this nation around from a downward spiral, almost as bad as the one we’re in today.

I have to say, I am intrigued as to what a horse carp is…

Anyway, as for Reagan’s successes/failures:
- He both cut taxes and increased spending overall, leading a a ballooning of the deficit
- He then proceeded to sign the largest peacetime tax hike later in his term, after realizing that supply-side economics was a baloney
- He nominated Alan Greenspan as head of the Federal Reserve, and Greenspan’s 2000’s era policies were the policies that led to the recession
- He presided over one of the worst scandals in recent memory - Iran Contra, in which senior aides sold arms to Iran covertly in exchange for money and hostages (who were not returned), used the money to buy arms for fanatical, unpopular right-wing extremists in Nicaragua, all the while embezzling millions of dollars for themselves.
- His policies facilitated the savings and loan crisis which cost American taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars.

- He reinvigorated the nation and brought a new sense of hope to its citizenry
  - He succeeded in pressuring the USSR into capitulation and eventual dissolution
  - He left the economy in a better state than he found it
  - He drastically lowered inflation

I would encourage all of you to read the late Sen. Warren G. Rudman’s (R-NH) excellent book Combat: 12 Years in the US Senate for a personal and insider view of Ronald Reagan as a person and as a policymaker. I found it very illuminating.

[quote=“cynicaloptimist, post:16, topic:39845”]
I tend to try and avoid absolutes, but I think President Obama has done good things in ending the War in Iraq, passing equal pay for women, killing Osama Bin Laden, and helping the nation recover from recession. I think he has done bad things in continuing to seize private property without warrants (PRISM) and all the other scandals that have rocked his administration.

I have to say, I am intrigued as to what a horse carp is…

Anyway, as for Reagan’s successes/failures:
- He both cut taxes and increased spending overall, leading a a ballooning of the deficit
- He then proceeded to sign the largest peacetime tax hike later in his term, after realizing that supply-side economics was a baloney
- He nominated Alan Greenspan as head of the Federal Reserve, and Greenspan’s 2000’s era policies were the policies that led to the recession
- He presided over one of the worst scandals in recent memory - Iran Contra, in which senior aides sold arms to Iran covertly in exchange for money and hostages (who were not returned), used the money to buy arms for fanatical, unpopular right-wing extremists in Nicaragua, all the while embezzling millions of dollars for themselves.
- His policies facilitated the savings and loan crisis which cost American taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars.

- He reinvigorated the nation and brought a new sense of hope to its citizenry
  - He succeeded in pressuring the USSR into capitulation and eventual dissolution
  - He left the economy in a better state than he found it
  - He drastically lowered inflation

I would encourage all of you to read the late Sen. Warren G. Rudman’s (R-NH) excellent book Combat: 12 Years in the US Senate for a personal and insider view of Ronald Reagan as a person and as a policymaker. I found it very illuminating.
[/quote]Boy do you love Obama. The thing is all those flowery things you said he has accomplished only exist in your mind and not reality.

The country is still in recession. Woman’s pay is not fixed. Hey he does not even pay the women in this administration equally. So on and so on.

As for Reagan a little history would be nice for you to learn rather than liberal hype.

The country is still in recession. Woman’s pay is not fixed. Hey he does not even pay the women in this administration equally. So on and so on.

When I said equal pay for women, I meant that he has passed a bill making it easier for women to litigate and obtain equal pay.

A recession is defined two consecutive quarters of GDP losses. By that definition we have not been in a recession since 2009. The stock market has hit nominal highs, economists are projecting up to 4% growth for 2014, and unemployment is down several percentage points from the depth of the recession. Consumer confidence, productivity, capacity utilization, and factory orders are all up. I would say the recession is largely over, except from a jobs and wages standpoint, and we are making progress in that department, despite headwinds from the sequester, tax hikes, and Europe. Whether this is largely attributable to Obama, quantitative easing, or just to macroeconomics, I couldn’t tell you

As for Reagan a little history would be nice for you to learn rather than liberal hype.

Please, educate me…

It just seems hypocritical since the 1st person women should sue under that law is Obama

A recession is defined two consecutive quarters of GDP losses. By that definition we have not been in a recession since 2009. The stock market has hit nominal highs, economists are projecting up to 4% growth for 2014, and unemployment is down several percentage points from the depth of the recession. Consumer confidence, productivity, capacity utilization, and factory orders are all up. I would say the recession is largely over, except from a jobs and wages standpoint, and we are making progress in that department, despite headwinds from the sequester, tax hikes, and Europe. Whether this is largely attributable to Obama, quantitative easing, or just to macroeconomics, I couldn’t tell you

Wrong a recession is defined by the NBER using this criteria

A recession is a period between a peak and a trough, and an expansion is a period between a trough and a peak. During a recession,** a significant decline in economic activity spreads across the economy and can last from a few months to more than a year**. Similarly, during an expansion, economic activity rises substantially, spreads across the economy, and usually lasts for several years.

The Committee does not have a fixed definition of economic activity. It examines and compares the behavior of various measures of broad activity: real GDP measured on the product and income sides, economy-wide employment, and real income. The Committee also may consider indicators that do not cover the entire economy, such as real sales and the Federal Reserve’s index of industrial production (IP)

The NBER’s Business Cycle Dating Committee

It took the NBER over a year after the recession started to declare it happening and a year after it ended to declare it over.

NBER is one of the exceptions to the rule, albeit a very well respected and knowledgable one.

Additionally, NBER does not disagree with me on the end date of the recession - they say 2009, I say 2009. The definitions in this case do not yield different results.