For White People Who Want to Attend #BlackLivesMatter Protests

For White People Who Want to Attend #BlackLivesMatter Protests
Ashleigh Shackelford, Jul 11, 2016

But after a while, I started realizing that trying to work with white people in direct actions became extremely triggering and tasking. I would witness many white people show up and want to be in the front — not to protect us, but to be visible and be in a photo. There would be swarms of white anarchists showing up, chanting “F#$% the Police,” completely disrupting our original chants and heightening the potential for violence against the Black protestors. Easily though, the anarchists almost outdo the groups of #AllLivesMatter folks who come out to walk in the protest but miss the entire point — even when most of the Black people call them out.

… So when I see white people show up to rally excited and smiling, ready to march like it’s a hobby — I’m disgusted and absolutely f#$%ing livid. When I witness white people taking up space, pushing myths of whiteness as political truth or using white saviorism to reframe their power and privilege, I’m ready to fight.

… Here are the things that matter the most at this point in time for white people who want to show up to a #BlackLivesMatter protest:

1. Ask yourself why you need to go to a #blacklivesmatter protest.

Unless Black organizers have specified that you need to come to a rally for buffers against the police, as a legal observer, or to collect other white people, why are you going to a protest when you’re the oppressor? …

2. Reparations.

Nothing you have is yours. Let me be clear: Nothing you have is yours. Also, Let me be see through: Reparations are not donations, because we are not your charity, tax write off, or good deed for the day. You are living off of stolen resources, stolen land, exploited labor, appropriated culture and the murder of our people. Nothing you have is yours.

Whiteness operates in a way that means that using your privilege “for good” often requires Black folks to still be a position to be “saved” or “in need.” We don’t need white saviorism. We don’t need white people to speak for us. We don’t even really need white people to show up to rallies. We need our reparations, we need intentional disruption that involves high risk and we need y’all to stop playing.

First a couple of not insignificant points where I agree with her. First, anarchists and other political groups are trying to co-opt BLM to their purposes (though Shackleford shows in one of her “things that matter” that she herself is somewhat of a tear-it-all-down anarchist). Second there are many libs & Progs who have been playing savior to and exploiting blacks. What Ms. Shackelford seems not to realize is that the chains that have been used to hobble and exploit blacks are the social programs and other freebies that kill the necessity to work and create (it has the same sort of effect on whites, too) of which she demands more.

But underlying BLM and other semi-related protests is something very ugly, that Ms. Shackelford reveals very clearly - racist hatred for whites. Some MSM folk have experienced this at first hand. How deeply they understand it, that nothing but blood and destruction will satisfy that hatred (and even then, temporarily), I won’t try to guess.

Cloaked in lots of convoluted words and pretzellated arguments, Ms. Shackelford’s real message to whites who wish to support them is twofold and rather simple: stay away; we will hurt you without giving a @#$%.

Nothing you have is yours. Let me be clear: Nothing you have is yours. Also, Let me be see through: Reparations are not donations, because we are not your charity, tax write off, or good deed for the day. You are living off of stolen resources, stolen land, exploited labor, appropriated culture and the murder of our people. Nothing you have is yours.
I’m still laughing. That is funny as hell. I’m an Indian…So I guess you can all go home!!! ha-ha
I guess it depends on your perception. I also would point out that my wife’s grandparents immigrated here from Europe. Slavery wasn’t legal back then so they never could have owned a slave. Also most slavers were BLACK.
Oh & here’s an interesting point. Back then the different tribes in Africa were at constant war with each other. The stronger tribes captured the weaker ones & sold them into slavery. One would assume that if they hadn’t been sold they would have been killed. So coming to America saved their lives.
Just checking are the blacks & whites leaving? After all it’s OUR land. Funny as hell!

Well Ms Shackle you seem to be wanting it both ways: ** “Whiteness operates in a way that means that using your privilege “for good” often requires Black folks to still be a position to be “saved” or “in need.” We don’t need white saviorism. We don’t need white people to speak for us. We don’t even really need white people to show up to rallies. We need our reparations…”**

You go from whitey aint got nothing and we don’t want nothing except yo money, pay us pay us pay us. Well guess what? Reparations have ALREADY been paid! You didn’t get yours, well maybe YOU were not a slave…DUH!

The District of Columbia Emancipation Act
1866 On April 16, 1862, President Abraham Lincoln signed a bill ending slavery in the District of Columbia. Passage of this law came 8 1/2 months before President Lincoln issued his Emancipation Proclamation. The act brought to a conclusion decades of agitation aimed at ending what antislavery advocates called “the national shame” of slavery in the nation’s capital. It provided for immediate emancipation, compensation to former owners who were loyal to the Union of up to $300 for each freed slave, voluntary colonization of former slaves to locations outside the United States, and payments of up to $100 for each person choosing emigration. Over the next 9 months, the Board of Commissioners appointed to administer the act approved 930 petitions, completely or in part, from former owners for the freedom of 2,989 former slaves.

Although its combination of emancipation, compensation to owners, and colonization did not serve as a model for the future, the District of Columbia Emancipation Act was an early signal of slavery’s death. In the District itself, African Americans greeted emancipation with great jubilation. For many years afterward, they celebrated Emancipation Day on April 16 with parades and festivals.

More Information:

Supplemental Act of 1862

D.C. Emancipation Act Transcription

Featured Document: The D.C. Emancipation Act

All that said, I SUPPORT Reparations for you, I really do. Here is the 2 part deal and its simple. You need be or have some blackness in you, a picture of yourself and a statement saying you are or have been is good enough, no govt ID required, you know just like when you go to VOTE. Part 2 is you leave America, I mean why stay, you hate it here. Now we don’t care or ask where you go, we just ask you don’t come back. In fact when you step on that plane you leave your citizenship behind and you can never ever return under any circumstances and of course we know you would not. Don’t call us, we will call you!

Reparations Cost:

“On the other hand, one of the cases often made against reparations is that it’d be impractically difficult to calculate how to fairly take and give so many years after the fact. But in a new paper, published in the journal Social Science Quarterly, Craemer makes the case that there are other examples of historical reparations paid many decades later after “damages” were incurred. He also has come up with what he says is the most economically sound estimate to date of what reparations could cost: between $5.9 trillion and $14.2 trillion.
Craemer came up with those figures by tabulating how many hours all slaves—men, women and children—worked in the United States from when the country was officially established in 1776 until 1865, when slavery was officially abolished. He multiplied the amount of time they worked by average wage prices at the time, and then a compounding interest rate of 3 percent per year (more than making up for inflation). There is a range because the amount of time worked isn’t a hard figure.”

Slavery Reparations Could Cost Up to $14 Trillion, According to New Calculation

Oh, I’m fully in favor of reparations. I’ll happily pay reparations to ANYONE who can prove that they are now, or once were, held as a slave in the U.S. with government sanction other than for a crime for which they’d been imprisoned…which isn’t actual “slavery” since they aren’t making money for someone else, but are COSTING someone else. I’ll even expand that to include anyone whose PARENTS were once slaves with U.S. government approval in the U.S. I might even be willing to include anyone whose GRANDPARENTS were so held.

If people remember the government paid reparations to black farmers which were said to be 900 but over 9000 claimed to be farmers.

IIRC it was over a $Billion++ and there was NO, ZERO requirement to prove you ever even applied for a loan, owned a farm, nothing, only requirement was that you were black…

Yes undoubtedly the same if one wants to claim reparations for being a slave. Hasn’t all the programs and give aways been enough for their claimed suffering. Rhetorical question.

I am reminded of a radio program years ago I heard while driving about how blacks are not permitted in positions of authority then the black mayor of Detroit was introduced on the program.

Frankly I have gotten to the point I do not want to see black shows or shows where blacks are part of the cast because inadvertently the blacks will be portrayed as saviors of the white characters.

Black actors I used to enjoy watching after listening to them tell me how bad they have it while enjoying a robust career are now on my do not watch list.

I had some relatives serving with one of the New York regiments…forget which one…drawn out of Oneida County, New York…served in Union Blue. And paid the ultimate price.

WHERE ARE MY REPARATIONS? That line of my family was very-highly accomplished. My grandfather was a mechanical engineer with a number of patents. Our ancestor was on the Mayflower. They founded a little town on the edge of the Adirondacks; and they thrived, from the first landing to my grandfather’s time.

What is the cost of a talent and ability not able to flourish, that they gave their lives FREEING these ungrateful cretins with their race-hatred?

On the other side of my family…my grandfather lost his life answering questions by the Gestapo. My grandmother and family fled in 1936, in the hubris and chaos of the Olympics that year, using false papers. They lost EVERYTHING.

WHERE ARE MY REPARATIONS FOR THAT LOSS?

It goes without saying that those debts are uncollectible. With no body and no documentation, I cannot pursue the German government; and we see what sacrifice, my distant cousins’ and my own in the Navy, gets from supposedly-fellow Americans.

It gets more race hatred and demands that government take from me to give to these idle, unemployable, ambition-free wastrels.

You din’t get he memo? You white people don’t get reparations because y’all weren’t enslaved for hundreds of years.

That argument is one that I hear and it makes me sick. There are many forms of slavery and every race has experience the oppression of slavery at some point and time.