Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin indicted

Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin indicted
By Rick Jervis
USA TODAY
5:01p.m. EST January 18, 2013

NEW ORLEANS – Ray Nagin, former New Orleans mayor and the public face of the battered city in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, has been indicted by a grand jury on 21 federal corruption charges.

The indictment, released Friday, alleges Nagin awarded lucrative city contracts to

contractors in exchange for more than $200,000 in kickbacks and first-class trips to Hawaii, Jamaica and Las Vegas.

Detroit & New Orleans … different means of destruction but same root cause: choosing “leaders” by the color of their skin rather than their competence and character (didn’t some one say something once about judging people by their character rather than the color of their skin?)!

$200,000?
That’s walking around money in Detroit. In Chicago, it’s a rounding error for payola. Obviously the quality of corruption in politicians has taken a serious hit in recent years.

Sway, $200k is what they can prove.

Ray Nagin sentenced to 10 years in prison…

former Mayor of New Orleans during Katrina has been sentenced to hard time in prison. Funny…how…lefties painted him as a saint even while painting Bush as a demon in the aftermath of Katrina…and despite his dismal failure in even following the city’s emergency procedures.

He left hundreds of school busses unused in flood waters that could have or should have been used to evacuate New Orleans citizens that were unable to evacuate without assistance.

Well…not actually funny. Just…typical and expected re: this outcome.

Ray Nagin, Former New Orleans Mayor, Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison

NEW ORLEANS — C. Ray Nagin, the former mayor of New Orleans who was convicted in February on corruption charges, was sentenced to 10 years in prison on Wednesday in federal court in New Orleans.

Mr. Nagin was found guilty in February on 20 counts, most relating to kickbacks from contractors looking for city work. The sentence was imposed by Judge Ginger Berrigan of United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.

Mr. Nagin, a Democrat, was arrested in January 2013, nearly three years after he left office. He was charged with taking kickbacks in the form of cash, cross-country trips or help with the family-run granite countertop company; the bribes were handed out by men looking for city business ranging from software supplies to sidewalk repair. Many of the schemes, though not all, took place after Hurricane Katrina, when contractors crowded into the city for rebuilding work.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/10/us...ayor.html?_r=0

I don’t know about you guys but it warms the cockles of my heart when a politician gets hard time. Especially one that so righteously deserves it.

Ray “Chocolate City” Nagin is estimated to have accepted over $500,000 in bribes, kickbacks, etc. As though being ravaged, left homeless and left to die largely as a consequence of his Obama-like lack of leadership during Katrina weren’t enough, “Chocolate City” Ray took it upon himself to personally victimize the city of New Orleans and its residents.

For this he could have received a maximum 20 year sentence. He was, instead, sentence to 10 years.

Question: What the hell would he have had to do to get the full 20 years? Bite off the head of a baby on Bourbon Street as Al Hirt played, “When The Saints Come Marching In”?

Sway - where have you been? Welcome back.

I have already promised my coworkers that I will buy them all lunch if Coco Ray actually servers 2 full years.

good point. I feel safe taking that wager myself.

That’s right. I don’t know about Louisiana, but many states are “one-for-one” states = 1 yr off for each yr of “good time”. He will likely serve no more than 2.5 years. Let’s see, $500,000 worth of bribes and kickbacks/2.5 yrs = $200,000 per year for doing the only thing he appears qualified to do - serving time.

I don’t think he is back; his posts in this thread are from early last year.

Not to mention that he steered several contracts to companies run by his kids.

Also, keep in mind, this is only the bribes that they could prove. There were many, many more. Also, Ray Ray like to use city funds for personal expenditures. He’d hit Commander’s Palace (and all the other high dollar eateries) with his family and large group of friends. Then, he’d use the city credit card to pay for it.

“Well, somebody axed me about fixing potholes, so it was official business.”

Actual quote. I kid you not.

Unused buses … like these?

There’s even a Snopes page in which some one questioned the authenticity of the pix of drowned buses. :rofl: Snopes concluded the obvious, that the pix are real: real drowned buses; really in NO; really drowned, unused, by Katrina.

Serve 2 years? I’ll be shocked if he serves two months! Nagin is supposed to report to prison in September of this year. What are the odds of that reporting date being pushed out to early 2015, and Nagin’s sentence being commuted and/or of Nagin being pardoned some time shortly after the first week of November?

10 years? Pfffft! I’m with Pete and whoever said he served N.O. like 0 runs this country. They’re peas in a pod. Hence, Nagin sentence will be communted.

Like Momma always said: “Ain’t no such thing as justice on earth.”