Fraud Alert

Well I just received a call from a collection agency telling me I am some mexican and I owe them money. I have dealt with this in the past and for three years they tried to pull this scam and I even bothered to reply twice but the calls still came.

First I am not mexican nor do I have any outstanding debt other than what I am aware of. These individuals use multiple phone numbers and try to harass people to pay debts they do not owe.

The only thing unusual is the allegation I am someone else. The calls had stopped but apparently someone is trying to start up again.

I have a relative who gets calls from the IRS and Microsoft which both are scams and I have told them several times but hopefully they do not one day fall for one of them.

773-891-7889 | 7738917889 - Who is calling? Harassment calls KO +17738917889 1

Thanks for the reminder, Sam. I jotted down the robo-call number from the scam artists claiming to be from the IRS, but haven’t taken the time to find out who you call to report it.
My sister got one, too. I can’t believe that I had to convince her not to call back; that it was most assuredly a scam. I think I got through.

I have actually called the police because the relative asked me to and they know about it but unfortunately there is little they can do except warn people not to be taken in. Apparently these calls flood the area with similar calls trying to get money

I suppose it helps if you have caller ID, which I don’t. But I suspect the one scammer that called me around a year ago may have been an IRS scammer, because he wanted to talk to me about the $50,000,000 I had won. I hung up on him. He called back immediately, asked why I hung up on him; I said, “Because you’re trying to scam me.” and hung up again. Meanwhile, FC had walked into the room, and the telephone rang again. He picked it up. Crickets.

I got a call from some guy who said he was from the IRS and I owed back taxes. Here’s how the conversation went down:

Me: Hello?

Him: Hello, this is (whatever name), and I’m with the Internal Revenue Service. Our records indicate that you are delinquent on your back taxes from 2013. Now, I know it’s hard for people to –

Me: Delinquent? How much? (I know this is a scam, I decide to play with him)

Him: Our records indicate it is $4,500. However, I can help you resolve this very easily, ma’am.

Me: Okay, I’d love to get rid of this. What do I need to do?

Him: Our records indicate you have a credit card and a bank account. All we need is your credit card number and bank account number, along with the routing number, and we can draft or charge only $200.00 per month to whichever account you prefer.

Me: Really? Wow, that’s easy. You sure about this?

Him: Yes ma’am, I’m sure. We want to work with you in any way we can, of course.

Me: That’s so kind of you. I’m sure you know what I do for a living too, right? That’s why you want to work with me.

Him: We don’t have access to that kind of information, ma’am, but we appreciate you working with us in this matter.

Me: You’re so nice, sir. By the way, I’m an FBI agent, and get the @#$%&!! off my phone so I can call my supervisor and report you and this number! Good-bye!

I never heard from anyone again.

Tigger, we don’t have an ‘applause’, so I hope this works for ya:
:slayer: :banana: :ranger:

That was great! I’m almost tempted to call that number back just so I can play! lol

More soberly, there’s a number you can call - not the cops - if you get one of these IRS scam calls. I got a little too busy w/more serious issues to get around to looking it up.

[quote=“samspade, post:1, topic:48038”]
Well I just received a call from a collection agency telling me I am some mexican and I owe them money. I have dealt with this in the past and for three years they tried to pull this scam and I even bothered to reply twice but the calls still came.

First I am not mexican nor do I have any outstanding debt other than what I am aware of. These individuals use multiple phone numbers and try to harass people to pay debts they do not owe.

The only thing unusual is the allegation I am someone else. The calls had stopped but apparently someone is trying to start up again.

I have a relative who gets calls from the IRS and Microsoft which both are scams and I have told them several times but hopefully they do not one day fall for one of them.

773-891-7889 | 7738917889 - Who is calling? Harassment calls KO +17738917889 1
[/quote]I get pretend IRS and Microsoft calls a lot. On the IRS side I have a FICO of 850; how much in the way of taxes do you reckon I owe?

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Information?OrgCode=IRS#crnt&panel1-1

The FTC handles these. Link above will direct you to filing the complaint.