"Fried Squirrel"

Fried Squirrel: As obtained from Cy Littlebee’s gathering of country recipes; contributed by Mis Elemer Ryals from Clifton Hills.
(Mind you, these are country recipes, so you’ll have to fermiddle as you see fit.)

Fried Squirell

After the squirrel is dressed and cut up, soak in salt water 'til free of blood. Drain and gently squeeze each piece free of water. Roll in flour and fry in deep skillet filled with enough lard to bubble around each piece of squirrel. Over each piece of squirrel shake salt, pepper, a little garlic salt or powder, Adolph Meat Tenderizer, and Kroger Herb and Seasoning. Fry each side a golden brown. Season each side as you go.

After both sides of squirrel are browned, turn heat low and add at least a glass of water, and cover skillet with a tight lid and steam. If it is a young squirrel by the time the water is gone the squirrel will be very tender and ready to eat. If an older squirrel, add more water and continue steaming until squirrel “sticks” tender with a fork. The squirrel will be rather soft and sticky if taken out of the skillet directly after steaming. If it is preferred more crisp, when water is gone take lid off skillet and fry a few minutes longer on each side.

Recipe continues on to say: My family prefers the soft sticky taste and this plus the seasoning is really what makes my squirrel taste different from the conventional way of frying brown and crisp in a hurry.

There’s a lot I could say, like…‘what SIZE glass of water?’ (I used an 8oz glass, and did the ‘continue cooking’ thing. As if squirrels come w/a birth certificate? lol)
As for the seasonings, “To tatse” is all I can recommend. Using Lawry’s Seasoned Salt and McCormick’s Meat Tenderizer in place of Adolph’s and Kroger’s didn’t seem to hurt in any.

Good luck, and bon appetite!

Mom did something generally similar, without the seasonings (other than salt) and with the addition of onions; it was tender and good. The one time I tried to fry a squirrel (it was the only game I ever took with a shotgun; all the other squirrels I got with .22, and the four deer I got with archery), it came out tough…

About the only seasonings I use with squirrel are salt and onions.

Try pressure-cooking it for about 30 minutes in 8 oz. of water. Remove from heat and when pressure is zero, remove bones and ligaments crumbling the squirrel meat, and add a quart and one half to two quarts of whole pasteurized milk. When milk comes to a rolling boil, flatten canned biscuits and drop them into the boiling milk mixture one at a time until all have been added. Add salt and coarse-ground pepper to taste. Let cool slightly and dip with a ladle into a bowl and eat like soup.

This works with rabbit, too.

I might have been born and bred in Oklahoma, but I don’t define squirrel as food. In addition, I don’t eat anything that in order to choke it down/make it edible requires me to drown it in salt, pepper, garlic, Kroger Herb & Seasoning, meat tenderizer, etc. Hell, you could fry up and eat a turd and not recognize it as such if you use enough masking agents/seasonings. LMAO!!

BTW - I don’t eat “bait”, either.

Squirrel has an excellent flavor in its own right!

Squirrel would taste wonderful if or when the grocery stores run out of food, however.

Yep, PD, when the market runs out of kitty litter I will be forced to buy/eat squirrel. LMAO!!

Did you ever even taste squirrel? Just plain squirrel, no frills? I remember the first time I tasted it. My two young nephews were visiting with us, and we had only one squirrel for about 8 or 10 people. My nephews keep calling out, “More squirrel! More squirrel!” And it was just plain boiled, no frills, no breading, no onion - just salt, as anything we ate would have. I don’t distinctly remember the taste from then - I probably didn’t get enough to taste. But I’ve cooked it up, dredged in flour, browned, then cooked in an electric skillet with a little water - sometimes with, sometimes without, onions. Delicious! I cook steaks the exact same way.

Edit: with the flour and water, it makes a nice gravy, too.

I suppose I’d agree IF I were ever reduced to eating kitty litter!

The wife cooked a quart of pinto beans in her crockpot the other day and added a can of diced “Mexican-style” tomatoes and a can of “original” Rotels. I had a bowl last night for supper with a dollop of “I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter,” salt and pepper and chopped, raw onion. I also crumbled a stale, leftover slice of cornbread, too. Yummy! And a real, Oklahoma meal!

Sounds good. I usually just skin and wash them, and throw them on the bbq with some Dale’s marinade.

Does this recipe go well for roadkill or only fresh squirrel meat? I am with the pressure cooker!

Only fresh squirrel!

And the gravy won’t be as good if you use a pressure cooker.

And about that squirrel among many relatives - my brother (one of the 2 hunters) said there were 4 squirrels, I think.

I choose pressure cooker for roadkill because it tends to be a little dry, and the PC gives it moisture. Gravy? With or without giblets?:eusa_think:

Sadly when I was young, we would squirrel hunt with shotguns [ which is the only way we could hunt in New Jersey at the time] [ back in the 50’s I might add] There was a bounty on squirrels back then, so being teens with little to do we went after them with a vengeance. The ‘sad’ part comes—these little buggers were so hard to kill it would take a couple of loads of buckshot to bring them down and by then they were more buckshot that meat. Same when we hunted duck on the reservoir .

I hunted squirrel with a .410 single-shot my mother’s first cousin gave me when I was about 13. I HAD borrowed a .12-gauge single-shot from his mother (my great-aunt Flora) that had belonged to his father. She’d loaned it to a neighbor man who promptly broke the stock at the grip and “mended” it with four tongue-depressors and a couple of pencils and electricians tape! When her son found out she’d given it to me, he cautioned me to NOT use it with modern shells as it had an old, 19th Century twist-steel barrel, likely to unravel with “modern” ammo (this was around 1955). I made the swap he offered and STILL have the .410. In fact, it’s on display in the gun-rack in my den as I type this. It was a great squirrel gun and I killed a LOT of squirrels with one shot from the thing (a natural, full-choke, BTW.) Some as high as 45’-50’ feet up in the tree. It goes to my daughter when I’m gone as it’s the first gun she ever shot when she was a pre-teen. I loaned it to my wife’s grandfather back in the early 70’s because he lived in the country in Texas and used it as a snake-killer, carrying it in his car everywhere he went. Four times he tried to buy it from me and I finally faked frustration with him and told him to “just give it back” to me. I took it to a gunsmith, had it re-blued and the forestock tightened up (it was a bit loose) and we gave it to Pap-Pap (as he was called) for Christmas that year! He was delighted, and proceeded to cut the butt-stock down a bit and paint an awful varnish on the wood! The family returned it when he died in 1980. I wouldn’t do a single thing to change it. I really loved that old man! He was a lousy hunter because he insisted on gabbing on when we were together, but he once managed to kill a wild turkey with an 8" beard with that gun and even took down a whitetail doe with a slug once. Who knows how many snakes he’s killed with it around area farm-ponds.

Ugh. Damascus barrel. I understand that modern experts recommend that you don’t shoot them at all.

True, but back to squirrels: Squirrel fried in a pan has always tasted a big strong to me–almost a bitter flavor–which is why I tried the pressure-cooked squirrel and dumplings thing. It’s delicious that way, and wastes virtually NONE of the meat.