Gingrich for defending ethanol subsidies

Gingrich blasted the media for its skeptical approach to ethanol subsidies, especially the Wall Street Journal, saying that “big urban newspapers want to kill it because it’s working,” and then questioned the WSJ’s values. The editors have responded in an unsigned editorial titled “Professor Cornpone,” and they give Gingrich both barrels:

WSJ rips Gingrich for defending ethanol subsidies « Hot Air

Ethanol is working? No Newt it is not because it has resulted i n higher prices in food products and robs gasoline of power.

This is a good case of why Newt should be ignored because he apparently is stuck in RINO mode and would not benefit the nation if given a position of power in the government.

You know food prices which have been ignored when calculating inflation.

Newt Gingrich has been touring Iowa lately, attempting to generate interest in a run for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination, and he’s been going the traditional route of defending farm subsidies, especially for ethanol.

OK, Iowa, 2012 GOP presidential nomination, farm subsidies…now I see…wonder what pandering he’ll use in PA. :rolleyes:

It is not just the Iowa primary, Newt went down the Enviro-Nazi/Kill America First route a long time ago.

Just one of the reasons I can never support him.

What happened to him?

He’s a sell out.

It’s been two years or so since I read his book, but as I recall he said stop all agricultural subsidies. Of any kind. Bottom line, he’s another lying politician.

[quote=“tperkins2009, post:6, topic:29032”]
It’s been two years or so since I read his book, but as I recall he said stop all agricultural subsidies. Of any kind. Bottom line, he’s another lying politician.
[/quote]Pander to groups and then when elected go the other direction-sound familiar? One of the tools in a politican’s bag.

Pretty much.

But that has not always been Newt’s way. Who “got” to him?

[quote=“samspade, post:1, topic:29032”]
Ethanol is working? No Newt it is not because it has resulted i n higher prices in food products and robs gasoline of power.
[/quote]It also destroys small engines and has resulted in boats erupting into flames after the ethanol melts the fuel tank.

Making ethanol uses more power than it produces and it lowers the MPG that you car gets.

It’s a complete hoax brought on by the green movement and used to buy votes in the Midwest.

Yeah Mr Gingrich is definitely in RINO mode, and he is way off base with the ethanol subsidies. Interestingly enough though he did recently call for the elimination of the EPA. At least he is on track with something.

The only track Mr. Gingrich seems to be on is the one that can’t make up his mind whom to please first.
At least now I can simply delete the “American Solutions” e-mails that I get before reading about how much they want me to donate.

True, he is the ultimate appeaser.

This is why the Tea Party should not stop.

This is why we should never give into anything that the left wants.

Exactly, fight to win and run away from any GOP candidate that is so dense they still think they can “reach across the isle” and get cooperation in return.

We need to be in bulldozer mode for about 10 years, any lefties still standing will have a good taste of their own medicine by then.

In as much as I have always appreciated Newt on his vast knowledge of America and the Constitution, I also have had reservations about his pragmatism. Yes during the last election I sincerely wanted him to run, but now the more I listen to him the less I care about his middle stance. It is a sell-out of all American ideals.
As for his support of ethanol subsidies, I would not be against alternative fuels of any kind BUT at the same time a real SUBSIDY of natural fuel exploration might be in order. I say this glibly in that the economic climate does not lend itself to ANY subsidies at this time, and that private enterprise SHOULD be reinvesting THEIR profits into the energy infrastructure of this country, with all EPA limits suspended.
Lets encourage Methanol, Ethanol, Wind, Solar, Browns Gas, Geo-thermal, 'Cold ’ fusion nuclear, friction, all types of energy for future use, BUT HERE on American soil and not foreign. and private investment not government subsidy.

Yes, the key is private sector investment, not government subsidization, particularly with the federal government’s current fiscally disastrous state. There’s nothing wrong with innovation, in fact it is favorable, but “innovation” by government does not constitute innovation in my opinion. Private sector innovation is effective because money is spent in the right places and not towards special interests.

[quote=“freemarkets101, post:18, topic:29032”]
Yes, the key is private sector investment, not government subsidization, particularly with the federal government’s current fiscally disastrous state. There’s nothing wrong with innovation, in fact it is favorable, but “innovation” by government does not constitute innovation in my opinion. Private sector innovation is effective because money is spent in the right places and not towards special interests.
[/quote]Yep and one thing to remember, private industry doesn’t have the money to chase after technology that will never work. Inefficient use of resources and process focused projects results in “former” companies and a 14 Trillion dollar national debt.

Exactly, private money follows promise and viability.
Government money goes to whoever is connected regardless of viability.