Girly @$$ed Men Need Not Apply! 8)

Gotta say it … Weren’t No Girly men at work here!

What The #ell Is This Guy Hangin Onto?

That ain’t steel cable … That’s some ‘frayed’ @$$ Rope!

Check this site out …
Balancing on the Empire State Retronaut | Retronaut - See the past like you wouldn’t believe.

At the very least, that first pic is photoshopped.

I do not know why you’d make that statement.
Men did build sky scrapers just like that.
I couldn’t, but they did.

I heard that only three men died building the Empire State Building, if that’s true, I’m really impressed with those people.

I couldn’t be payed enough to do this, I was too frightened to go up the Space Needle on my vacation to Washington.

Frightened of the height or the price they charge to take you up?

I never said they didn’t; it’s just that the picture doesn’t look quite right to me.

They had safety nets and the photos were creatively taken, not as to say they wernt in any danger but not as much as the photos would have you believe

Modern Day ‘Macho’!:cowboy:

And …

Those ladder pics look more like modern-day stupid than modern-day macho.

Here:

Well when all you have is a…ladder…

BS, they did. Maybe on the Empire State Building, but my dad worked on the Throgs Neck and Tappen Zee, (amongst other huge bridges), and I can say with surety that there was no such thing as a ‘safety net.’ And he walked around on bridges just like that guy in the top photo. (Although I’d say that one does look a little odd.)

I couldn’t do that. Get me over 4 feet up, and you’d have to pry my arms and legs off the steel.

So BS and maybe? :rofl:

Heres an interesting article about some of the photos

The use of safety nets was common practice in the 1930’s and they were used extensively in bridge construction and other types of construction where a fall would likely be fatal. The effectiveness of the nets was sometimes called into question, as they were not always very strong or well anchored and if a worker did fall into one, there was not always a safe or easy way of getting out of the net and to safety.

Practices of the time were not very safe by modern standards, but it still should be noted that even if standards were lax, they were not non-existent and workers did not have a death wish.

Depleted Cranium » Blog Archive » Were Steel Workers Really This Reckless?

They mighta had some flimsy safety nets but they wern’t harnessed in, and that’s insane.

I’ve done some crazy things, but most didn’t involve heights like that. That’s a vertigo thing, some people don’t suffer from it. It’s like motion sickness. I get motion sickness so bad, it renders me inelligible for ship work, offshore, flight crews and so on. Heights do it to me also, but it’s not really a fear of heights. It’s a motion thing.

The “modern” pics are just plain dumb. They make ladder extensions for use on stairs, and longer ladders for the other dude.
The Philippino in the Dubai hotel (I’m guessing there) is typical.

Yeah, I went up the fire tower in Cook Forest (the fire tower is about 6 miles from where I live), and I was OK until I reached the top of the trees. Then I had an uncontrollable sense of panic. I even got that sense of panic when FC was on a ladder from the porch roof to a tree, cutting off a branch that was threatening the porch roof. His Dad had hold of a rope to guide the branch down so it didn’t fall on the porch roof. Unfortunately, the branch brook, and fell on the (rotten) porch roof anyway. That was a long time ago, but it was years before we could afford to repair the porch roof.

Oh. My. Lord. Are those guys out of their cotton pickin’ minds?!!!

Thanks for sharing, but I nearly puked and cried just watching it.
You don’t want to know what would happen if I actually got on it. lol

Those window washers that do the downtown highrises are nuts too.

I showed it to my mother and everytime he unclipped she’d cover her eyes.