Gitmo closing

I’ll be brief:

In an hour, Obama is scheduled to announce the plan to close GITMO he ordered be provided to him from the Defense Department several months ago.

The plan will then go to Congress for approval. There is no doubt Congress will reject the closure.

Obama has already indicated that should Congress turn down the closure he will order GITMO closed by Executive Order.

IMHO - Obama, before he leaves office, will not only close GITMO, he will - on his way out the door - hand the facility over to Castro/Cuba. I think his establishment of official ties with Cuba has been nothing more than preparing for transferring GITMO to Cuban control.

Such a move plays perfectly into Obama’s misguided legacy/lunacy - that is, denying future presidents the option of holding terrorist/enemy combatants in a facility outside the US and that allows for interrogation and does not require they be granted the same rights as US citizens.

IMHO - this is a done deal

The current detainees at GITMO are no doubt the very worst of a bad bunch… Releasing them to other countries ensures that a significant percentage will return to the fight - they WILL kill innocent people, including Americans. Distributing these terrorists in prisons in the US will ensure they infect the most dangerous and ignorant among us with their brand of suicidal hatred - many of whom will eventually be released to walk the streets of your city and mine.

Bottom line - we elected the most dangerous man ever to sit in the White House - TWICE. - and we are going to pay a huge price.

Doesn’t matter; even if he does, nothing stops us from building another prison just like it somewhere else. Unlike most of his actions, this one can be mended.

The current detainees at GITMO are no doubt the very worst of a bad bunch… Releasing them

Pretty sure they aren’t releasing all of them, there’s no way he could justify releasing people responsible for 9/11. It’d be suicide for the Democrats. More likely, most will be transferred to something else. Perhaps one of those CIA mobile facilities that don’t “always” exist.

he will - on his way out the door - hand the facility over to Castro/Cuba.

Then good riddance, we don’t need to have our prison there. I never understood why we couldn’t just have a annex attached to Ft. Leavenworth to store these people.

I have no doubt that this is his plan. When Carter shamefully gave away the Canal Zone he at least did it lawfully through the Congress. This will surely go to the courts and it may be used as an argument to nominate and confirm a supreme court justice. He may also be looking for cheering crowds on his upcoming "“fun” trip to Cuba, which even the Washington Post has denounced. If America is not yet totally brain dead this will hurt the democrats in the upcoming election. We are getting the government we deserve. Trump made a joke recently that Obama would have gone to Scalia’s funeral if it were held in a mosque. I believe that there is a lot of truth in that joke.

I disagree with every point you made, AS. Some will be released to other countries and no doubt, a core will be held in prisons in the US. Building another such facility - where? That will simply never happen.

If we choose to hold terrorists caught on the battlefield within our borders, as Obama is demanding, we give up our ability to gain intel from these people - they will simply “lawyer up”.

Obama just announced it is his “best thinking” that demands the closure of GITMO. I would point to the cesspool he has helped create in the ME as an example of his “best thinking”.

Slim, it is not just a prison, it is an important naval base.

Many of these Gitmo prisoners went right back to fighting for terrorists groups

This is not going to be the final outrageous action of his final months. And he is going to go for ones that are irreversible to inflict maximum damage. I may have to permanently wrap my head in duct tape.

The bill would only close the prison, not the base.

He hasn’t stated it publically yet but his plan is to return Guantanamo to Castro.

It isn’t. We haven’t had any large Naval unit stationed there since the mid-90s.

The “fleet” in harbor is largely just tug boats, ferries, and some landing craft.

There’s facilities there to repair ships, but they’re hardly crucial, and most of the personnel stationed there are either ground protection, or in some way associated with the prison.

OK. I’ll believe that when he announces it, but that hasn’t been in the news. The only thing I’ve heard is the closing of the prison and the moving of them to several different prisons.

We already were. Technically, there is supposed to be no difference between holding the prisoners in Guantanamo, and holding them in the Continental United States.

That’s why there was a policy, at least for a while, to hold people on ships, on aircraft or in the CIA mobile prisons, where everything is far more grey.

as Obama is demanding, we give up our ability to gain intel from these people

Pretty sure even his opinion is a bit more nuanced than that. If he thought it was straightforward as that, he would have done it years ago, when the Democrats had a majority in both houses.

I would point to the cesspool he has helped create in the ME as an example of his “best thinking”.

And I would point out the ME was already a cesspool, something like ISIS and Al Nusra was inevitable.

The Muslim Brotherhood has existed for over a century, and they’re simply the old guard of ideas Muslims in the region embrace. The former two are the new guys on the block, acting on the young’s cries for action while condemning the Brotherhood for their relative “inaction”.

ISIS was FAR from “inevitable.” Had the US kept troops stationed there, there’s NO WAY they’d have expanded into Iraq in that fashion. It came into being ONLY after Obama’s precipitous withdrawal of most combat forces from the country. Whatever else they may be, ISIS’s “leadership” aren’t foolish enough to take on the U.S. military in a stand-up fight.

ISIS was inevitable with Barack Obama as Commander in Chief!

They came from Syria, a nation ruled by a tyrant it’s neighbors want out of power, funded and aided by Qatar, Saudi Arabian and Turkish elements.

Yes Dave, it was.

Had the US kept troops stationed there, there’s NO WAY they’d have expanded into Iraq in that fashion. It came into being ONLY after Obama’s precipitous withdrawal of most combat forces from the country. Whatever else they may be, ISIS’s “leadership” aren’t foolish enough to take on the U.S. military in a stand-up fight.

Actually, they’re counting on it.

They don’t plan plan to win Dave, they plan to make themselves martyrs, cut their numbers down to about 5,000, and then in some unclear way, bring about the start of the apocalypse. The end of days, as they understand it.

It’s only if a fight with us/the broader west doesn’t happen, then a new Caliphate is the default plan.

It is the next logical step in his strategy. Trump wants to “Make America Great Again”; Obama wants to “Make America Irrelevant Finally”.

ISIS gained power because Obama allowed the Shia through Al-Malaki to abuse the Sunni in western Iraq and turn them against us after we won them over in the Anbar Awakening.

Hardly; Maliki abused the Sunni while we were still there. He was making arrests in 2007.

Today, the Iraqi government is doing all it can to recruit those tribes to fight ISIS

You mean like that wall you’re sure (IIRC) is neither necessary nor ‘doable’?

Pretty sure they aren’t releasing all of them, there’s no way he could justify releasing people responsible for 9/11. It’d be suicide for the Democrats. More likely, most will be transferred to something else. Perhaps one of those CIA mobile facilities that don’t “always” exist.

You mean like they “justified” releasing FOUR of their WORST top leaders in exchange for a traitor? Seriously?

Then good riddance, we don’t need to have our prison there. I never understood why we couldn’t just have a annex attached to Ft. Leavenworth to store these people.

As was said, we need the naval base, and it’s most likely the next to go.
It’s absurd to disqualify it based on the number the ships at bay there, as the facility is so much more than that.

NAVSTA GTMO provides assistance and services to the US Navy and US Coast Guard ships as well as other foreign naval ships operating in the Caribbean Sea. It also supports the fleet participating in the narco-terrorism operations. It launches migrant operations to provide shelter for Haitians and Cubans. It supports joint operations though it is not a joint operations command.
“The naval station has continued its migrant assistance mission after Sea Signal.”

The base hosts numerous tenant commands including the Southern Command Joint Task Force-Guantanamo, Joint Task Force Guantanamo, US Naval Hospital and Branch Dental Clinic.

Other detachments located at the base are: Personnel Support Activity, Naval Atlantic Meteorology and Oceanography Command, Naval Media Center, Naval Communications Station, Department of Defense Dependent Schools, Navy Brig, and Fleet and Industrial Supply Center.

US Naval Station Guantanamo Bay - Naval Technology

I can’t believe how easily you dismiss the importance of our presence there.

The closing down of GITMO is an utter disgrace and embarrassment. And meant to be exactly that.

If they want to become martyrs and go meet Mohammed in “paradise,” I’m all in favor of arranging the meeting for them. No, AS. They want control of the Middle East and it’s vast oil reserves…period.