Go For It: ISIS Vows To Destroy Mecca’s Kaaba, “Kill Those Who Worship Stones”…

Representatives of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) stated that they will ruin the Kaaba after capturing Saudi Arabia.

APA reports quoting Turkish media that ISIS wants to take control of Arar city of Saudi Arabia and start operations here.

ISIS member Abu Turab Al Mugaddasi said that they would destroy the Kaaba in Mecca: “If Allah wills, we will kill those who worship stones in Mecca and destroy the Kaaba. People go to Mecca to touch the stones, not for Allah.”

Go For It: ISIS Vows To Destroy Mecca’s Kaaba, “Kill Those Who Worship Stones”… | Weasel Zippers

Could this start a war among muslims who are tired of seeing more radical elements go wholesale not only against others but other muslims who they think are not pure enough?

1 Like

I could see some good Sunday Morning funnies coming from all this.

[quote=“samspade, post:1, topic:43912”]
Representatives of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) stated that they will ruin the Kaaba after capturing Saudi Arabia.

APA reports quoting Turkish media that ISIS wants to take control of Arar city of Saudi Arabia and start operations here.

ISIS member Abu Turab Al Mugaddasi said that they would destroy the Kaaba in Mecca: “If Allah wills, we will kill those who worship stones in Mecca and destroy the Kaaba. People go to Mecca to touch the stones, not for Allah.”

Go For It: ISIS Vows To Destroy Mecca’s Kaaba, “Kill Those Who Worship Stones”… | Weasel Zippers

Could this start a war among muslims who are tired of seeing more radical elements go wholesale not only against others but other muslims who they think are not pure enough?
[/quote] showing ignorance here but are the saudis sunni or shi’ite?

Technically they are Sunni, following Wahhabism. Just wanted to further confuse you…

Seriously, Islam is broken up into what we would call denominations (Sunni, Shi’a or Shiite, Sufi and Ahmadiyya being the most popular) and sects or schools of thought within those, like Wahhabism in Saudi Arabia.

Edit to add: Why Mecca and the Ka’ba is of importance here is because it is the most holy of sites for Islamists, followed by Medina and Jerusalem. Mecca is believed by Islamics to be the first created part of the earth…

[quote=“Hiscupbearer, post:4, topic:43912”]
Technically they are Sunni, following Wahhabism. Just wanted to further confuse you…

Seriously, Islam is broken up into what we would call denominations (Sunni, Shi’a or Shiite, Sufi and Ahmadiyya being the most popular) and sects or schools of thought within those, like Wahhabism in Saudi Arabia.

Edit to add: Why Mecca and the Ka’ba is of importance here is because it is the most holy of sites for Islamists, followed by Medina and Jerusalem. Mecca is believed by Islamics to be the first created part of the earth…
[/quote] hmm, its even more complicated than I thot. guess I need to bone up a bit!

I have long had the gut feeling tho, that even if the Islamists succeeded in getting rid of the “pigs and monkeys” (Israel) and “the Great Satan” (that’s us), that would just be the warmup for the great war BETWEEN or AMONG islamists for supremacy… and for the spoils.

Saudi’s have already destroyed most of Mecca. Wahhabism is ultra-orthodox, they believe that old historical buildings and artifacts will lead to idolatry and corruption of Islam. Thus they’ve since destroyed most of old mosques, mosques, and tombs that represented early Islam while building hotels, shopping centers, and even bathrooms to accommodate the growing number of Muslim pilgrims. Imagine if the Church of the Holy Sepulchre was torn down to make room for apartment buildings and you get the idea…and yet somehow this ISIS group is even more radical when it comes to Holy relics.

I guess when they claim that there was a mosque on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem at the time of Adam, they will tell you it was destroyed so it wouldn’t lead to idolatry.

[quote=“Robert_Clay, post:6, topic:43912”]
Saudi’s have already destroyed most of Mecca. Wahhabism is ultra-orthodox, they believe that old historical buildings and artifacts will lead to idolatry and corruption of Islam. Thus they’ve since destroyed most of old mosques, mosques, and tombs that represented early Islam while building hotels, shopping centers, and even bathrooms to accommodate the growing number of Muslim pilgrims. Imagine if the Church of the Holy Sepulchre was torn down to make room for apartment buildings and you get the idea…and yet somehow this ISIS group is even more radical when it comes to Holy relics.
[/quote] truly amazing. and unsettling to say the least. what hath the Arab Spring wrought?

ISIS is also making provocative moves against al Qaeda and its affiliates. Besides trying a hostile takeover of the al Nusra front, proclaiming its own leader as “Caliph” will not go over well with the leader of Al Qaeda, who once had the former as his disciple.

Lots broken dreams to be sure. Tunisia seems to be doing fairly well…Syria, Iraq, Libya, and Egypt *maybe *not so much.

[quote=“Robert_Clay, post:10, topic:43912”]
Lots broken dreams to be sure. Tunisia seems to be doing fairly well…Syria, Iraq, Libya, and Egypt *maybe *not so much.
[/quote] yes I believe that’s an accurate assessment

The problem with the ME is the religious extremists and the fact that they are in high positions of power throughout ME countries. You have a small monitory in control and they do nothing bu destabilize the region with their religious bantering. Can you imagine if Protestants and Catholics were still going at it the amount of carnage it would cause.

I see nothing funny about people being slaughtered, even if they do follow a false religion.

[quote=“Jebby, post:13, topic:43912”]
I see nothing funny about people being slaughtered, even if they do follow a false religion.
[/quote]Viewing comics as humor only is a very limited outlook. Comics expose absurdities too (“Dilbert” is a good example). And this is definitely an absurdity.

1 Like

I spoke briefly with a sales clerk on my way back to OKC yesterday who told me her husband was in the Army, stationed in EGYPT! I didn’t know we had troops stationed there. Did anyone else?

Sinai peninsula most likely: we still have a few peacekeepers to enforce the Camp David Accords, mostly just observers I think.

[quote=“Pappadave, post:15, topic:43912”]
I spoke briefly with a sales clerk on my way back to OKC yesterday who told me her husband was in the Army, stationed in EGYPT! I didn’t know we had troops stationed there. Did anyone else?
[/quote] a few hundred troops, between 200 and 400 (seems to fluctuate). supposedly to help with Sinai peacekeeping force. Egypt also gets really big bucks from the US in military aid --equipment etc. wikipedia says egypt is the second largest non-NATO receiver of military aid after Israel from the US. interesting. but then, the suez canal is of vital national interest to the US and indeed the whole world.

Oops, DN strikes again