Godfather Alert!

Yes, I believe that was her first role in a movie. She was hanging on George Sanders’ arm. Did you know that Sanders’ killed himself? He had been diagnosed with something (don’t remember what it was) and he decided he didn’t want to go through it so he killed himself.

Did you guys ever see Bruce Willis in Hart’s War with Colin Farrell? Excellent movie. I don’t remember if it was based on a true story or not, but it was a great movie. And, I like just about anything with Clint Eastwood. I think my favorite movie of his was a tie between Gran Torino and In the Line of Fire. Of course, I enjoy all the *Dirty Harry *movies, too.

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:81, topic:45343”]
Yes, I believe that was her first role in a movie. She was hanging on George Sanders’ arm. Did you know that Sanders’ killed himself? He had been diagnosed with something (don’t remember what it was) and he decided he didn’t want to go through it so he killed himself.
[/quote] didn’t know the manner of Sanders’ death, that is always sad. Yes, MM was “arm candy” for Sanders playing acerbic film critic Addison Dewitt. In one scene, tho, Eve persuaded MM (“Miss Casswell”) to make a fake late-night phone call to Lloyd Richards about Eve being ill, to lure him to Eve’s place to create an irreversible rift (Eve hoped) between him and his wife Karen. In that scene, I recall Monroe had her hair in curlers and was chewing gum, not at all glamorous. I always thought MM was a better actress than sometimes given credit for.

Yeah… That orange blood though… BP

Oh, The Sound of Music never grows old! Although I’ve never seen Porgy and Bess, we’re in agreement w/the rest of the list.

If you like Bruce Willis be sure to see Live Free or Die Hard, which might be the very best of the Die Hard series. And if you like Bruce Willis and Clint Eastwood, you might like Mark Wahlberg…try Four Brothers or The Shooter.

Excellent advice, as I’ve seen them all. (Which must sound odd, considering I just got through saying that I don’t watch much t.v. Guess I view more than I realized.)

She was. If you’ve ever seen The Misfits with Clark Gable (his and her last movie) and Montgomery Cliff, you can see the depth of acting ability that she had. I read where that was always her frustration that no one took her acting very seriously. She seemed to have gotten started with the “dumb blonde” routine but then never seemed to be able to rid herself of it. She was good friends with Carl Sandburg who found her “down to earth, easy to laugh, and genuine”. He also noted that she wasn’t the “dumb blonde” she portrayed.

[quote=“2cent, post:85, topic:45343”]
Oh, The Sound of Music never grows old! Although I’ve never seen Porgy and Bess, we’re in agreement w/the rest of the list.

Excellent advice, as I’ve seen them all. (Which must sound odd, considering I just got through saying that I don’t watch much t.v. Guess I view more than I realized.)
[/quote] [MENTION=8831]2cent[/MENTION] you have excellent taste in films!! (smile)

[quote=“patriciareed, post:57, topic:45343”]
and your point, Jack, is…
[/quote][ATTACH]2429[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE=patriciareed;703948]

Got to thinking about highly respected works of literature that deal with complex and far from exemplary characters in a way that promotes empathy for those characters. One could say that they glamorize evil.

[Would like to mention in passing that I am to my great misfortune something of an expert in charismatic evil. I have a Ph.D. in that from the School of Hard Knocks. As a result, I have utter contempt for (the extremely large number of) people who fall for charismatic con artists, and I have said many times that I prefer a diamond in the rough to a smooth, pretty-faced liar any day.

There is an individual who quite deliberately set out to destroy me and largely succeeded. She is the most evil person I have ever known. She is also widely admired and looked up to. (Idiots!) But I always give credit where it is due. Though she cannot bring herself to give me credit for anything at all, I have always given her credit for a number of real achievements and loyalties. But that doesn’t change the fact that she is the most evil person I know, and I detest her.

I also was a teacher for nearly three years in a women’s prison. (No, Jack, I was not an inmate.) Many of my students had done really, really bad things. Nonetheless, some of them were personable and fun to teach. I appreciated that and ran my classroom on a basis of mutual respect. It did not erase my consciousness of the damage some of these gals had done to themselves and other people.]

ok, back to literature. Many great works of literature could be accused of glamorizing evil. But in the end (as in The Godfather), we do not feel the evil was just great and terrific and want to run out and be like those complex characters. Rather, we feel sad that original sin has to be wrestled with anew in each generation. We feel sad that sometimes a dysfunctional social environment provides a petri dish for dysfunctional “solutions” to problems. We do not endorse those “solutions.” But we understand them.

We could start with King David in the Old Testament.

The Brothers Karamazov–Dosteovsky

Faust–Goethe

Madame Bovary

Phantom of the Opera

The Great Gatsby–Fitzgerald

Love in the Ruins–Walker Percy

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde–Stevenson

What Makes Sammy Run–Budd Schulberg

Things Fall Apart–Achebe

Macbeth–Shakespeare

Hamlet–Shakespeare

Julius Caesar–Shakespeare

Wuthering Heights–Bronte

Jane Eyre–Bronte

Gone with the Wind–Mitchell

Crazy Horse–Sandoz

Lorna Doone–Blackmore

These are just off the top of my head.

Ancient Greek tragedy was almost always built around the concept of an attractive character with a “fatal flaw” that eventually causes his fall. Achebe’s Things Fall Apart quite consciously and deliberately (and successfully) placed this classic theme in the setting of a small African village, demonstrating that history repeats itself in unlikely places

The Roman Playwright Publius Terentus Aber (195-159 BC) wrote, “Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto.” “I am a human, nothing that is human is alien to me.”

Went back over this thread to see why I lack closure on it. I find that it’s because the above post (along with posts #59 and #62) made serious, thoughtful, non-inflammatory points that warranted some sort of reply from my principal “adversaries” in this debate, but never received it. Other folks’ arguments received respectful acknowledgements from them even late in the thread; only mine inspired ostentatious “thread fatigue” despite new points made. The resounding silence continues to this day, not just on this topic, and seems contagious. Lately I converse mostly with myself here. Obviously can do that without coming here but should it come to that will always wonder why. Or not wonder. [ATTACH]2430[/ATTACH]

charismatic con artists. I think we can now add de niro to that category. Remember his F*** Trump tirade at the Oscars or some such waste of time?

NOW:

A former employee at Robert De Niro’s production company slammed “The Irishman” actor with a federal lawsuit on Thursday claiming he harassed her and discriminated against her for being a woman – then retaliated against her when she told him of her plans to take legal action, according to bombshell court papers.

“Ms. [Graham Chase] Robinson has no choice but … to send him a message: the Harvey Weinsteins of this world should realize their approach is extinct. You can no longer intimidate women. You can no longer threaten them,” Robinson’s attorney, Jeremy Heisler, told FOX Business.

In one example, De Niro allegedly went ballistic on the woman, calling her a “spoiled brat” in an explicit voicemail when she did not answer his phone call, according to the suit.

“How dare you f------ disrespect me?,” he said in the voicemail, in which he also told her: “You’re f------ history.”

Hollyweird and the EneMedia will ignore this or rally round our Foul mouthed con artist because…Trump.

I think his last name was PRIZZI…as in the later movie, “Prizzi’s Honor.”

where’s the honor cause he doesn’t own any.

His own wife left him this past year. Seems the randy old goat is having trouble scoring.