Gov. Cuomo's Nursing-Home Death Controversy

A state judge ordered New York’s Department of Health to release records about nursing home residents who died of COVID-19 in a Wednesday ruling that said the agency’s failure to do so already was a “violation” of New York’s open government law.

Albany County Acting Supreme Court Justice Kimberly O’Connor also ordered Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s administration Wednesday to pay legal fees for The Empire Center for Public Policy, a conservative-leaning, nonprofit think tank that filed suit demanding the release of the records last fall.

More at:

He’s been stonewalling this for months. Pundits are saying his political goose is cooked. Even the Dems in Albany aren’t too happy with him, including the AG:

ALBANY, N.Y. — For most of the past year, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo has tried to brush away a persistent criticism that undermined his national image as the man who led New York through the pandemic: that his policies had allowed thousands of nursing home residents to die of the virus.

But Mr. Cuomo was dealt a blow when the New York State attorney general, Letitia James, reported on Thursday morning that Mr. Cuomo’s administration had undercounted coronavirus-related deaths of state nursing home residents by the thousands.

Just hours later, Ms. James was proved correct, as Health Department officials made public new data that added more than 3,800 deaths to their tally, representing nursing home residents who had died in hospitals and had not previously been counted by the state as nursing home deaths.

The state’s acknowledgment increased the overall death toll related to those facilities by more than 40 percent. Ms. James’s report had suggested that the state’s previous tally could be off by as much as 50 percent.

More at:

1 Like

First, the joke responses:

Now do florida.

And I also made this:

Real response:

I’m not super surprised by this, but it is a shame. So I come from Illinois originally, absolutely rampant with corrupt politicians regardless of political affiliation. Is it safe to assume New York enjoys similar history?

@Gene Democrats are pretty much in control in New York and Illinois. I am not saying that it would be different if Republicans were in control. One party rule creates this. It is why “dreams” of one party rule are the roads to nightmares.

Think about this when you wish for total Democrat control in Washington. Neither party has a corner on virtue.

A lot of the conservatives here are, most often God loving or fearing people first, patriots to the nation second and usually conservatives or Republicans third. I want what makes government works. If the Democrat label worked, I would go for it. From what I have studied, big, controlling government does not work.

Eh, I wouldn’t call illinois 1 party. It’s had more Democrats in power, but the state just came off 4 years of Republican governor Bruce Rauner. 2 of the last 5 governors (including current) have been Republican in fact.

What does that have to do with illinois having a mix of Republican and Democrat leaders in recent years?

I used to live in Massachusetts. The Democrats totally control the state legislature, and they have both Senators and all of the seats to the House of Representatives. Every once an a while, the Governor is a Republican. The best he can do is to delay the Democrat agenda of raising taxes, spending more and increasing regulations and the scope of state agencies. It is a Democrat controlled state regardless of the fact they lose the governor’s chair now and then. Illinois and New York are exactly the same.

You can fool some people with you claims of bi-partisanship, but you can’t fool those who follow the events.

1 Like

Interesting. I thought democrats counted absolutely everything as coof death. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t jump at the chance to tally as many as possible.

Because he caused them, and they weren’t in the womb…

Abortions aren’t even counted as dead people I don’t think

That’s just it. He’s shameless about supporting abortion, because he (politically) dismisses it on the whole clump-of-cells nonsense, and so does most of his base. But few dismiss preventable deaths of seniors (they are, after all, long out of the womb). So he tried to cover it up.

And Cuomo may be in even deeper trouble (I’ll link at the bottom):

Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s top aide is admitting to a coverup in New York state’s Covid-19 nursing home death toll, according to multiple reports.

CNN and The New York Post report Melissa DeRosa, Secretary to the New York governor, privately apologized to Democratic lawmakers during a virtual call on Wednesday. DeRosa said “we froze” data on Covid-19 deaths among long-term care facility residents out of fear the true numbers would “be used against us” by President Donald Trump and federal prosecutors, according to sources who participated in the call.

A report from NYS Attorney General Letitia James last month showed the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) undercounted Covid-19 deaths among nursing home residents by approximately 50%. The AG’s findings were similar to those of a Syracuse.com investigation published earlier; the statewide death toll at nursing homes is now nearly 15,000, up from the 8,500 previously disclosed.

More at:

And deeper still:

The FBI and federal prosecutors in Brooklyn have begun a preliminary investigation into how New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s administration handled nursing home residents who contracted COVID-19 in the early months of the pandemic, a person familiar with the matter told CBS News.

Cuomo senior adviser Richard Azzopardi said only that the Justice Department “has been looking into this for months,” adding, “we have been cooperating with them and will continue to.” The investigation was first reported by the Albany Times Union.

The FBI and the U.S. attorney’s office for the Eastern District of New York declined to comment.

More at:

There’s also a LOT of bipartisan support in the NY legislature for removing his COVID-prompted emergency powers, and at least some Dems are agreeing with the Repubs about impeachment.

When you are big time Democrat, like Cuomo, and the Democrats in Albany and Washington are after you, you know you are in trouble. He has become too much of a political liability to ignore.

I disagree. I believe democrats dismiss old people dying unless is convenient to stick up for them. Democrats hate the unborn and the old-enough-to-die, because in their eyes as a society we shouldn’t have to care for either of them.

Just a thought… if Trump would have simply endorsed abortion, democrats would have come together to end planned parenthood. With simple reverse logic he could have done a lot of good. And democrats are stupid enough to have fallen for it, guided by the C.ommunist N.ews N.etwork and the rest of the msm

That’s just it; they have a foothold on abortion with the liberal base (although it’s eroding), but almost no one is on board with throwing old folks under the bus. Thus, it is convenient for Dems to stick up for them, and political suicide (or near to it) not to.