Government Workers Outnumber Manufacturing Workers

Government Workers Now Outnumber Manufacturing Workers by 9,932,000[FONT=Georgia]By Terence P. Jeffrey | September 2, 2016 | 9:01 AM EDT

(AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) - Government employees in the United States outnumber manufacturing employees by 9,932,000, according to data released today by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Federal, state and local government employed 22,213,000 people in August, while the manufacturing sector employed 12,281,000.
The BLS has published seasonally-adjusted month-by-month employment data for both government and manufacturing going back to 1939. For half a century—from January 1939 through July 1989—manufacturing employment always exceeded government employment in the United States, according to these numbers.
http://www.cnsnews.com/s3/files/styles/content_100p/s3/gov-manufacturing-chart-august-2016.png?itok=K_3RyF8O
Then, in August 1989, the seasonally-adjusted employment numbers for government exceeded the employment numbers for manufacturing for the first time. That month, manufacturing employed 17,964,000 and government employed 17,989,000.
Manufacturing employment in the United States had peaked a decade before that in June 1979 at 19,553,000
From August 2015 to August 2016 seasonally-adjusted manufacturing employment declined by 37,000–dropping from 12,318,000 last August to 12,281,000 this August.
The 22,213,000 government employees in August, according to the BLS, included 2,790,000 federal employees, 5,120,000 state government employees, and 14,303,000 local government employees.

Government Workers Now Outnumber Manufacturing Workers by 9,932,000

[/FONT]

I know it’s wrong to compare government workers to vermin, but that’s how I’m starting to feel about them. Their numbers have grown to all out of proportion and their reason for their existence is largely political. As their numbers grow, support, both in the form of political contributions and votes, benefits the Democratic Party.

Government loves to add people because they say it increases efficiency. I am reminded where I worked originally they had a director and secretary and later each building had to have a director and secretary plus assorted personnel who could not find their behind with both hands… Professional staff out numbered direct care staff.

I understand in Illinois that we have more government agencies than many other states with some with duplicate purposes.

Illinois: Land of too many taxing bodies?

I am reminded of a story years ago about a factory that was losing money so the employees formed an employee buyout and fired a lot of administrators and office staff and ended up being in the black again.

Employee Buyout (EBO) Definition | Investopedia

I once pointed out to a liberal that the government MAKES NOTHING & SELLS NOTHING so they are basically a drain on our situation. They not only couldn’t understand it but argued until I just walked away. What are you going to do?

When you add to these government numbers the fact that all of these pointless employees will receive their salary for life in spite of “retiring” at a very young age, and that “salary” includes full benefits; it is not hard to see the economic future that will inspire a revolt from the productive sector.

Just as nobody ever says “You can’t go wrong buying Real Estate” anymore because they have seen just how wrong that statement can be, the day is coming when those who believe that a government job is the most secure thing you could obtain for life will learn a devastating lesson.

The money will dry up and when it does only those with legitimately marketable skills will be able to earn a living, nobody will be giving money away just for showing up and killing time.

It used to be not all that bad of an idea as far as keep paying in retirement. The problem twofold though. 1. People live longer than they used to. 2. They now pay almost as much as a “normal” civilian job.
I’m one of those people that will collect for life (from the military). Back when I came in my first paycheck was $78 per month (after taxes of course - wink). When I got married & promoted twice my pay had increased to $690 per month. Someone doing my job on the outside would have received between 35 to 42 thousand. Add 18 years of time & experience & extra pay for serving overseas & I still was making less than 30 thousand per year (compared to civilian pay of over 60 thousand). So I guess that if they had “invested” the difference in pay for all of those years a lot of times the government would have come out on top. Basically though they were betting that a lot of people wouldn’t live that long. I would point out that many times they might be right in that depending on the career field. Oh & assuming a lot of people wouldn’t know this I’ll throw it in. There are a lot of career fields in the military that care very hard on a persons body & sometimes people don’t make 20 years. Working on a flight line can be VERY hard on a persons body (for instance).
Funny story for those that don’t know “military”. We had a pilot that was flying a mission. For some unknown reason (he was just flying along & everything was fine) his plane caught fire. His wingman pointed it out to him. He ended up ejecting over water & was lucky to be picked up very quickly by a near by fishing boat. (Here’s where it gets funny). Well to be in the A.F. you have to meet certain physical standards. (proper weight for your height for example). Well 2 months later he failed his weigh in (he was over weight compared to his height) because he had lost 2 inches in height by ejecting. (yes it compresses the spine that much). Funny stuff & almost every military member has a ton of stories like that.

The govt is a parasite on a society.

AND then there is Blood Suckers…errr LAWYERS:

Fortune 500: The Total Cost Of Litigation Estimated At One-Third Profits: Fortune 500: The Total Cost Of Litigation Estimated At One-Third Profits | The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel

Lawsuit Abuse Impact
America has the world’s costliest legal system. As a percentage of our economy, U.S. legal liability costs are double those of the UK, three times higher than those in France and five times higher than those in Japan. Our nation’s litigation addiction hurts families, businesses, communities, and America’s ability to compete for jobs and investment in a global economy.

Overall annual medical liability system costs, including defensive medicine, are estimated to be $55.6 billion in 2008 dollars, or 2.4 percent of total health care spending.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported earlier this year that the city has payed out nearly half a billion dollars in settlements over the past decade, and spent $84.6 million in fees, settlements, and awards last year.

New rule: LOSER PAYS All court costs and legal fees of the person or company you sue…

Loser pays is a good idea–but in a country with one lawyer for every 200 people, and many of them in politics, your chances of ever getting such a rule passed are virtually nil. Japan, by contrast, has one lawyer for every 3,000 people (and DOES have loser pays.) I say this as my daughter is completing her first month as a OneL law school student, too!

Makes me think of economic development, that great pastime of bureaucrats. I’ve got to imagine that the number of public employees who get tied up in these meetings a few times a year could fund several private sector jobs annually. But they spend their thousands sitting around talking about they can get business to move here from there, usually with some form of crony capitalist favoritism with taxes and perhaps development costs if the business is sufficiently large. Never mind that it actually sucks the business away from somewhere else and net gain is really negative as we waste tax dollars doing what private businesses ought to be doing in the free market. It’s every level of government that engages in this activity, local, county, state and federal, Republican and Democrat. Intel gets a $2 billion tax break over 30 years just to make sure it doesn’t leave Oregon. It’s the largest employer after all, some 17,000 employees. But I wonder what about those who work for small businesses, the vast majority of employees and employers. Why don’t they collectively receive the same favoritism? It would benefit so many more workers. This is the work of shifty politicians and bureaucrats who show up and kill time.

**Lawsuit Abuse Impact
America has the world’s costliest legal system. As a percentage of our economy, U.S. legal liability costs are double those of the UK, three times higher than those in France and five times higher than those in Japan. Our nation’s litigation addiction hurts families, businesses, communities, and America’s ability to compete for jobs and investment in a global economy.

Overall annual medical liability system costs, including defensive medicine, are estimated to be $55.6 billion in 2008 dollars, or 2.4 percent of total health care spending.**
I believe that those facts are very much related. Just think how many times you’ve seen lawyers advertising on tv about you having a procedure done, used a specific produce or used a specific drug. The truth is that there’s more profit to be made in lawsuits for people & lawyers than there is to be made in making drugs. That’s a huge part of why our medical care is so expensive.
As far as drugs & lawsuits here’s a TRUE STORY. Many years ago some doctor made a statement that a drug could “possibly” be dangerous to certain people. The lawyers ran with it. They found people that had been on the drug & started suing the heck out of it’s maker. The lawyers lost EVERY SUIT because the company was able to prove that there was nothing wrong with the drug. The end result was that the company took the drug off the market because they lost more money defending the drug than they made selling the drug.

I’ve proposed this before and reiterate here: It should be a criminal offense for ANYONE with a law school degree to run for public office at ANY level, punishable by immediate, public hanging once the filing fee has been paid.