Great Appetizers, Side Dishes and More!

I start this one off with one of our new favorites. I didn’t know what hoison sauce was until this little recipe. YUMMY!!! We actually had just these for a meal the other day.:grin:

http://images.scrippsweb.com/FOOD/2004/02/25/sh1a11_pork_wrappers_e.jpg

Oriental Pork Wrappers Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Cooking, Miramax Books, 2002.See this recipe on air Wednesday Jul. 20 at 5:30 PM ET/PT.

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 24 minutes
Yield: 24 wrappers
User Rating:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/images/icons/4_stars.gif

1 (12-ounce) package pork sausage
2 green onions, minced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
24 square wonton wrappers
Nonstick vegetable cooking spray
For dipping: soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili garlic sauce, and hot Chinese-style mustard

In a medium bowl, combine the sausage, green onions, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and garlic. Place 8 wonton wrappers on a clean surface and brush edges with water. Place 1 tablespoon of pork mixture in center of each wrapper. Gather edges of wrapper together over filling. Press edges of wrapper together, enclosing the filling completely. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.

Place a collapsible metal steamer rack in a large wide pot. Fill pot with 1/2-inch water. Spray steamer rack with nonstick spray. Bring water to a simmer. Working in batches, arrange dumplings on rack 1-inch apart. Cover pot with lid and steam dumplings until cooked thoroughly, about 8 minutes. Watch the water level and add more as needed. Transfer dumplings to a platter and serve with dipping sauces.

Episode#: SH1A11
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

You might wanna set up different dipping sauces to go along with them like:
hoison sauce
spicy mustart
soy sauce

Smoky Orange Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 sandwiches
User Rating:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/images/icons/5_stars.gif

1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan, plus some for drizzling
1 small onion, chopped
3 chipotle peppers (smoky hot peppers) in adobo sauce, found in cans in Mexican foods section 1/2 cup ketchup, eyeball it
1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
1 orange, zested and cut into wedges, for garnish
1 cup chicken broth
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Vegetable oil, for drizzling
Grill seasoning or salt and freshly ground black pepper
Romaine lettuce
Sliced red onions
4 crusty rolls, split, toasted and buttered
Red Cabbage, Beet and Currant Slaw Salad, recipe follows
Crispy Topped Bacon and Green Onion Baked Beans, recipe follows

Preheat a grill pan or griddle pan over medium high heat.

Heat a small saucepan over moderate heat. Add oil and onion. Saute onion in oil for 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are soft. Combine chipotle peppers in adobo, ketchup, orange juice concentrate, orange zest and chicken broth in a blender. Blend on high until sauce is smooth. Pour sauce into saucepan with onion and heat to a bubble. Reduce heat to simmer. Coat chicken lightly with a drizzle of oil and season breasts with grill seasoning blend or salt and pepper. Grill 5 to 6 minutes on the first side, turn. Remove 1/2of the barbecue sauce to a small bowl and baste chicken liberally with it. Turn chicken after 4 minutes, coat with sauce again and cook another 2 to 3 minutes. To serve sandwiches, slice grilled chicken on an angle and fan out 1 breast on each bun bottom. Spoon remaining sauce from saucepan over the sliced chicken. Serve open faced with the lettuce and red onions setting on bun tops to the side. Pair these sandwiches with your favorite sides or, with Red Cabbage Slaw and Crispy Topped Baked Beans.

*** I have done this with a whole chicken baked in the oven too.

**Red Cabbage, Beet and Currant Slaw Salad: **
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

1 pound red cabbage, cored, shredded
1 can sliced beets, drained and sliced
1 cup walnut pieces
1/4 cup dried currants, a couple of handfuls
1/2 cup water
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup apple cider or white vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup prepared red currant jelly
1/2 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine cabbage and beets in a mixing or salad bowl. Sprinkle the slaw salad with walnuts. Bring the remaining ingredients to a simmer in a small pot: currants, water, lemon juice, vinegar and brown sugar. Simmer 5 minutes to dissolve sugar and transfer mixture to a bowl. Whisk in currant jelly and oil. Pour dressing over the slaw salad. Toss salad to coat evenly with dressing. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper and serve or, stored chilled up to 3 days.

Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Ease of preparation: easy

Crispy Topped Bacon and Green Onion Baked Beans:
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

6 slices bacon, chopped
1 cup plain bread crumbs
4 scallions, thinly sliced
Coarse black pepper
2 (15-ounce) cans prepared barbecued baked beans, about 4 cups

In a medium skillet over medium high heat, brown bacon but do not fully crisp the pieces. Remove the skillet from heat and toss bread crumbs in the pan with the bacon and drippings. Add scallions to the bread crumbs and bacon and season the mixture with cracked black pepper, to taste.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Add 2 cans of barbecued beans or extra spicy beans to a shallow casserole dish. Top with bacon and bread crumb mixture and place in oven. Bake 15 minutes or until top is crispy and beans are bubbly. Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 5 to 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Ease of preparation: easy

**** This is one of my favorite ways to make baked beans!! I usually use Bush’s country style baked beans or their bold and spicey baked beans ****

Those sound awesome Angel. I do love stuffed wontons; and hoisin sauce reminds me of Mexican Mole sauce. They’re both delicious.

I know I’ve posted this’un before, but I reckon the new forum merits a re-post:

TEX’S VENISON WRAPS

[list]
[]This is the perfect use for all that venison scrap that’s leftover from boning-out the carcass. Takes a bit of time and effort, but when weighed against the alternative of makin’ ground meat or sausage, there’s no comparison.
[/list]
[list]
[
]Cut up the scrap into pieces about the size of your finger/thumb. Alternatively, you can use scrap that’s about the size of a saltine cracker and about 1/4" thick. This is flexible and can be altered to whatever size trips your trigger.
[/list]
[list]
[]Whip up a batch of your favorite marinade and toss the scrap pieces and marinade into a gallon ziplock, mush it around for good coverage and let 'er sit overnight in the fridge. This should assure the marinade to pentrate all the way through the meat.
[/list]
[list]
[
]Take it out the next day and drain it good. Save the marinade for the next batch (I’ll use it a few times before chunkin’ it).
[/list]
[list]
[]Prepare some jalapeño strips by slicing them lengthwise and removing the seeds. I use strips about the size of a pencil. Use hotter or milder peppers according to your “heat tolerance”. You’ll need as many of these pepper strips as you have venison chunks.
[/list]
[list]
[
]Cut a package of thinly-slice bacon strips in half, which’ll yield your pieces about 4" (ish) long.
[/list]
[list]
[]Grab a box 'o toothpicks (use the square or round ones, not the flat ones…they’re too wimpy)
[/list]
[list]
[
]Roll the jalapeño slices into the venison chunks. For the chunks that are thick instead of flat, just give 'em a vertical slice in order to insert the pepper strips.
[/list]
[list]
[]Roll the chunks up with the bacon strips so they look like “pigs in a blanket”.
[/list]
[list]
[
]Use a toothpick to secure the wrap.
[/list]
[list]
[]Toss 'em on the grill over “subdued” heat (ie, not over direct flame). The toothpicks are handy for turning them over, etc. These don’t take very long to cook, so watch 'em carefully and make sure your fire ain’t too hot. Remember, the marinade has already “chemically cooked” them to some extent.
[/list]
[list]
[
]Once they’re finished, use a big bowl covered with aluminum foil to keep 'em all warm, as it does take a while to get 'em all finished.
[/list]

…and if you have even a smidgeon of venison-junkie in yer blood, be prepared to cram yer gullet full 'o heaven!

We really like this one…however I like to make it at home better than eating it at the restaurant because I prefer a lot more avacado in mine!

Rockfish’s Mexican Shrimp Martini

Shaken, not stirred

Ingredients

½ Cup Cold Water
1 Cup Roma Tomatoes Chopped ¼ inch
1 Cup Yellow Jumbo Onion Chopped ¼ inch
¼ Cup Cilantro Chopped fine
½ TBSP Jalapeno Pepper Chopped fine and deseeded
6 TBSP Avocado Chopped ½ inch chunks
¾ Cup Heinz Ketchup
2 TSP Lime Juice
1 TBSP Red Tabasco Sauce
1 TBSP Green Tabasco Sauce
¼ TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
<LI>¼ TBSP Cajun Chef Hot Sauce

Directions: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix Well. Serve chilled. Yields aprox 1 quart.

For each serving:

6 oz. of MSM Cocktail Sauce (see above recipe)
30-40 Small/Medium Shrimp - Peeled, Boiled, and Chilled
1 TSP Blackening Spice (add to desired flavor)
1 Lime Wedge
2 Sprigs Cilantro - no stem
<LI>1,2 Count of Tequila (optional)

Directions: Place all ingredients in a Bartender’s Metal Tumbler and shake like you’re making a real martini Tortilla Chips-red, blue, white corn-for dipping

Sorry, Im in a Blue state and our conservative mayor has been forcibly ‘outed’ and is also accused of child molestation back in the '70s.
All I can tell you how to make is WHINE

Nope…you live in the red part…I live in the blue county that made the state blue.

edog…you’re pretty good at thread jacking hu? You’re gonna give Dee a run for her money. joke dee. LOL

Im the Abu Nidal of thread hijack. except I rarely need to take hostages.

:howler: you are fitting in nicely.

The only stuff I have is “blue state” recipes:frown: :howler:

New England food is good though, I specialize in New England style food riddled with Italian basics. Mostly secret…:ninja: Any of you ever have a stuffed Quahog???

[QUOTE=Pale Horse]The only stuff I have is “blue state” recipes:frown: :howler:

New England food is good though, I specialize in New England style food riddled with Italian basics. Mostly secret…:ninja: Any of you ever have a stuffed Quahog???[/QUOTE]

Never heard of Quahog…but if you want to share a few secrets start an Italian food thread or New England favorites. I’m sure some folks would like to check them out.

[QUOTE=angelmack]We really like this one…however I like to make it at home better than eating it at the restaurant because I prefer a lot more avacado in mine!

Rockfish’s Mexican Shrimp Martini

Shaken, not stirred

Ingredients

½ Cup Cold Water
1 Cup Roma Tomatoes Chopped ¼ inch
1 Cup Yellow Jumbo Onion Chopped ¼ inch
¼ Cup Cilantro Chopped fine
½ TBSP Jalapeno Pepper Chopped fine and deseeded
6 TBSP Avocado Chopped ½ inch chunks
¾ Cup Heinz Ketchup
2 TSP Lime Juice
1 TBSP Red Tabasco Sauce
1 TBSP Green Tabasco Sauce
¼ TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
<LI>¼ TBSP Cajun Chef Hot Sauce

Directions: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix Well. Serve chilled. Yields aprox 1 quart.

For each serving:

6 oz. of MSM Cocktail Sauce (see above recipe)
30-40 Small/Medium Shrimp - Peeled, Boiled, and Chilled
1 TSP Blackening Spice (add to desired flavor)
1 Lime Wedge
2 Sprigs Cilantro - no stem
<LI>1,2 Count of Tequila (optional)

Directions: Place all ingredients in a Bartender’s Metal Tumbler and shake like you’re making a real martini Tortilla Chips-red, blue, white corn-for dipping[/QUOTE]

I’ll be making this today, minus the tequila, but add some beer:biggrin:

I bet that will be good too…and I always put more avacado than the recipe calls for! :cowboy:

Spinach & Artichoke Dip like Houston’s®

[left]Serves : 12
Prep. Time : 0:40

2 cloves garlic - minced
2 Tbls. minced onion
1/4 cup real butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup fresh-grated Pecorino Romano cheese
2 tsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp. hot sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sour cream
(2) 10 oz. boxes frozen chopped spinach - thawed, squeezed dry through a fine sieve
12 oz. jar artichoke hearts - drained, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese

-In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, sauté garlic and onion in butter until golden, about 3 - 5 minutes.
-Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
-Slowly whisk in cream and broth and continue cooking until boiling.
-Once boiling, stir in Romano, lemon juice, hot sauce, and salt; stir until cheese has melted; remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
-Stir sour cream into pan, then fold in dry spinach and artichoke hearts.
-Fold the mixture into a microwave-safe serving dish, or into several serving-size dishes.
-Sprinkle cheddar evenly over top(s).
-At this point, the dip can be refrigerated until ready to serve, if desired.
-Microwave dip on 50% power just until cheese has melted.

Notes : Serve with sour cream, salsa, and tortilla chips for dipping.

http://robbiehaf.com/Recipes/H/77.htm[/left]

Lookin for a recipe for Creamy/mashed Sweet Potatoes…

I have been trying to find a recipe similar to the one my Sister-in-law made for Thanksgiving and again for Christmas…dang I should have just written it down!

But in the process I found this link here:

http://www.sweetpotato.org/c2.php?action=view&rid=6

Lot’s of recipes there! Maybe I can combine a few of those with what I remember and come up with my own delicious dish!! :cowboy:

Homemade Egg Rolls

1 lb. Chinese cabbage (Napa)
2 stalks celery
1/2 lb. cooked shrimp
1/2 lb. cooked pork (or just use more shrimp)
10 water chestnuts
1/3 cup bamboo shoots
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
Liberal dash pepper (I use lots!)
1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
1/4 tsp. sesame oil
1 beaten egg
10 egg roll skins
3 cups oil (sometimes I like to use a spicy wok oil)

PREPARATION: Boil cabbage and celery until very tender. Drain and squeeze
out excess water. Shred very fine and set aside to drain further. Parboil shrimp
and fry or bake pork. Mince both. Shred water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.
Mix all ingredients but egg together. Beat egg. Wrap filling in egg roll skins and
seal with egg.

COOKING: Heat oil in wok or deep fat fryer to 375 degrees and drop in egg rolls.
When skin turns light golden brown, remove from oil and drain. (At this point
restaurants refrigerate them and finish the cooking process as needed.)
When cool, drop again into hot oil and fry until golden brown. Makes 10.

The two-stage deep frying method is actually a professional Chinese chefs’
secret. It assures that the inside will be moist and not overcooked (as anything
overcooked becomes dry) and the outside will be crisp.

Those sound great. This thread has my mouth watering.

This whole Recipe forum is a diabetic’s nightmare.:holy-shee :rofl: