Great Appetizers, Side Dishes and More!

Get you a bunch of fresh spinach.

Wash it well. Set aside.

Melt a bout 3 tbls. of butter, not margarine, I don’t cook with that stuff.

Anyway, on low heat, melt the butter, add some pepper, anda bout a 1/4 cup + of red wine, merlot is good, but any red wine…not rose, not white, RED.

So, you got yourself some warm red wine ansd butter all melted together. Add the spinach, and stir it around ubtil it withers. Then serve it!

Gppd stuff…real good.

I sometimes make something kind of like that but I use sour cream instead of butter to mix with.

Sour cream? I’m checking it out! Sounds good!

Thanks for the Spinach and Artichoke Dip recipe. It’s one of my favorites. :slight_smile:

Shrimp Butter

8 oz cream cheese
1 1/2 sticks butter
two 5 1/2 oz cans water packed shrimp, drained
juice of 1 lemon (about 3 Tbsp)
1 Tbsp chopped onion
4 Tbsp mayonnaise

Puree in blender or food processor until smooth. Serve chilled with crackers.

I have had this recipe (without the cream cheese) and served on the tiny rye bread. Very yummy! Would like to try with the cream cheese!

This is called/has been called “cowboy bread”. But I really like it.

Get a big french bread, cut in half (like a sammy)

Get some Tilamook sharp cheddar grated (how much depends on how much cheese you like, but a pound would be sufficient)

Get a bunch of green onion
Get some “italian seasoning” or "herbs de provence"
Some grated reggiano parmesan is good to maybe 4 ounces.
Some mayo.

Mix it up (mayo binds it so it should be “wet” with mayo)

Spread on the bread and bake at 375-400 until it looks good.

Eat. I like to have this with salad (because the bread is kind of FATTY)

THE BREAD IS KIND OF FATTY??? the whole thing sounds kind of fatty, but it does sound pretty good.

Not something to for daily dining

Appam

In Kerala, India, almost everything is made with some form of coconut. My wife and I love this as a snack or breakfast, whatever time.

Appam is like a pancake with a thick, fluffy, soft center and thin, crispy edges.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups dry white rice soaked 3 or 4 hours in water
1.5 cups FRESH grated/ground coconut (won’t work with desiccated coconut or confectioners coconut)
1/2 tsp active yeast
1/4 cup sugar -more if you like it sweeter
1/4 tsp salt
water as required for grinding
coconut oil as required for cooking.

In India everyone has something they call a Mixie. It is like our blender, but it has an attached grinder. Here in America a vita-mix is just as awesome. A regular blender will work if it has a good motor and blade.

Grind the rice and coconut into a runny/soupy paste, adding water as required. If you buy a fresh coconut (recommended) you can use the water inside and that is usually enough.

Add the yeast and sugar and cover it with a towel. Let that sit over night in a warm place in your kitchen.

Next day the volume will have tripled. Add salt and stir it up a little. Now you have ‘maavu’, or batter.

Traditionally appam is cooked on a ‘appam chatti’, or appam ‘pot’. It looks like a small shallow wok with two handles and a lid. They aren’t too hard to find in the US and they are not expensive at all.

with a paper towel, coat a hot chatti with coconut oil and pour in some maavu (batter) and pick up the chatti and swirl the batter around the pan coating the whole thing in a thin layer on the sides.
Set it back down on medium heat and cover it for about a minute or so. Your done! Don’t let the pan get too hot.
The center should be thick and fluffy and the edges should be thin and crispy.
Some people like to put an egg in the center and let it cook slightly while covered. Most just like it plain maybe with a spicy or savory chutney to dip it in.

It takes practice to get it right, but even imperfect appam are delicious. The first time I made these not a singe one made it on a plate. we just stood at the stove eating them as they came off.

Sounds delicious! But I can’t see myself getting around to trying the recipe.