Ham

I am not a big fan of ham. But, someone gave me a 4 pound ham. Now I have no idea what to do with it. Ham is way too salty for me. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this thing so it is edible?

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:1, topic:42055”]
I am not a big fan of ham. But, someone gave me a 4 pound ham. Now I have no idea what to do with it. Ham is way too salty for me. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this thing so it is edible?
[/quote]Is it a Country ham? They are cured in salt.
Regardless. Get a big pot. Put the ham in it. Make a solution of 2 cups of vinegar and 2 cups of sugar. Pour it over the ham, and fill with just enough water to cover the ham. Put it in the fridge for 12-24 hours. Discard the water. Rinse the ham really well.
Make a paste with 2 cups of brown sugar, a couple of tablespoons of dry mustard, and enough pineapple juice to make the paste. Rub on the paste and bake at 275 until internal temp reaches 160.
Enjoy.

Hmm, sounds very good. But I don’t think I’ll do it this year - don’t have everything handy, it’s a long distance to the nearest “real” store, and my regular grocery day is almost a week after Christmas.

1 Like

Oh, CT, if you want to step it up a notch, after applying the paste, spritz with a bit of bourbon(the alcohol with “cook out”) and pack on ginger snap cookies crushed in a food processor. Bake as directed.

Now Tiny, is all of that on Atkins??? :drool: This ham is oblong packed in plastic. There is no bone. It has some kind of a “skin” on it–not like the hams my mom used to make that had the bone and she would “score” the fat and put cloves, slices of pineapple, cherries, and brown sugar in the scores. I think she poured either ginger ale on it or beer–maybe both while it baked in the oven. But, I will definitely try your “marinade”. I was thinking about putting the whole thing in the food processor and making ham salad. That I’ll eat. But, I’ve never been one for ham–or any smoked meat for that matter. I’ll let you know how it comes out! Thanks, Tiny! I can always count on you to help me with recipes!

No ma’am, it is not low carb.
You see, the way to combat salt, is sugar. The way to combat sugar, is salt. Kind of a perplexing, for a low carber.
Now, you could omit the sugar, and use an artificial, like Truvia or Splenda, but it won’t negate the salt, as well. Soaking it will still reduce the salt, and if it isn’t a Country Ham, that may be enough. You can then omit the rub and cookies, and it will be low carb.
If your Mom was traditional, she probably used root beer, or Dr. Pepper.
edit: The rind on the ham has to be removed, then you score the fat and add cloves etc.

1 Like