Harvard Prof says...

**After reading this article, I feel a triggering event coming over me. I should run to the rest room to cry…but which one do I use? There’s no rest room for dolphins!

Harvard Psychiatry Professor: Over Half Of America’s College Students Are MENTALLY ILL**

Especially those who go to HARVARD!

I’m thinking that what matters is the definition of “mentally ill”. If you use a broad stroke like “depression”, who doesn’t get depressed every now & then? Heck I get depressed for a day or two every 5 to 10 years so am I mentally ill? My guess would be that those college kids are mostly on their own for the first time in life & let’s face it, that can be very depressing if your not prepared for it. I tend to think of depression as a normal human emotion unless it’s to an extreme.
I would point out that in my opinion we don’t prepare out kids for the future the way our parents prepared us, nor did their parents prepare them they way that they were prepared. Humans seem to be growing “softer” over the generations (as a whole, some aren’t) & I don’t think it’s really a good thing. It seems to me that we are more into “feelings” than survival or at least that’s what we seems to be passing on. I look back to me as a young person & my priorities were to work & feed my family & do the best I could. Now days people are looking for a job they “love” to earn a living. I probably didn’t state that well but I can tell you that never once in my young life did I search for a job I loved. I searched for a job that paid enough to eat & put a roof over our heads.
So who’s fault is it? Well a lot of it comes down to parents teaching basic stuff to their kids or rather not teaching them basic stuff. The other fault comes down to consumerism. Kids now days want to start out with all the “crap” that they grew up with (big screens, electronic toys, cable, etc.). Both of my son’s are into having everything. That’s just fine for the oldest who has always been a hard working overachiever. He is successful in life & can more than afford it. The younger one is a great example of what not to do & how not to live. He lives a life that he can’t afford & just doesn’t understand that he has robbed from his future to pay for today.
I guess to sum up my thoughts it’s this: In raising our kids we’ve used:
We will help you fix this too much.
And haven’s used: Suck it up. You caused the problem & you need to put your big boy pants on & fix it.
If we had done that maybe our kids would have a better ability to deal with life when they have to.

My own baby brother is a good example of what you’re saying, Doc. I left home in 1960 to join the Army and my sister left the following year and married an engineer who was going to work for NASA. My mother was quick to tell anyone who’d listen how proud she was of us (after a few years) that we both had houses, nice cars, nice furniture and good spouses. My brother dropped out of school after 6 months enrolled in college, married probably the first girl who paid him any attention, bought a car, house and furniture–all on contract–had 3 kids very quickly and then lost his job, his house, furniture AND his car. W e tried to help him once his unemployment ran out but I quickly learned that he was lazy, wasn’t really interested in working and wanted people to keep “giving” him stuff. He’s now living with a granddaughter and her husband so they can use his SS to pay their rent. He and his wife have been separated for 10 or so years now.

> I guess to sum up my thoughts it’s this: In raising our kids we’ve used:
> We will help you fix this too much.
> And haven’s used: Suck it up. You caused the problem & you need to put your big boy pants on & fix it.
> If we had done that maybe our kids would have a better ability to deal with life when they have to.

That and blame the teachers when they won’t do well.

I’m not so sure the “mentally ill” is a good term for college kids, although I got my education, a BS and a Masters from state schools, so maybe it’s different at Harvard. College kids, especially in undergraduate school can be eccentric. As the late football coarch, Joe Paterno said, college is a time when you try things out and learn something without the risks you face when have a wife and family. Some of the brightest kids could be decidedly weird, but I wouldn’t have called them “mentally ill.”

Still maybe it’s different at the Ivy League schools.

Anyone who spends $250,000 for a college education…IS mentally ill.

Especially in this era, where we’re overloaded with educated fools. For a twentieth of the cost, someone could get vocational training as a plumber or bricklayer AND buy a union card, and have better employment prospects.

I was once talking to someone that was mad at the whole student loan system. It seems that she owed a little over $100,000 in student loans after finishing college & didn’t make enough to pay them back. She was talking about how unfair the whole situation was & I was a little sympathetic for her. Then she dropped the bombshell that her degree was in business. What? Now granted some people do well with a business degree & find super high paying jobs. But the normal person with one of those degrees starts off around $30,000. I did a round about way of pointing that out to her & her answer was “But that’s what I like to do”. All I could think of was thirty something thousand dollars per year to live on & pay off $100,000 of debt that they are charging you interest on? I’m guessing that math skills may have lowered her grade point average.

Yea, but learning the “trades” is not cool, you know. “Everybody needs to go to college” … NOT

I have great respect for plumbers, auto mechanics, builders and anyone else who can do the stuff I can’t do. I’m one of those educated fools who only knows something about money. I don’t know why people with college degrees look down on talented artisans. It makes no sense to me.

I believe in further education but I question the required electives colleges want to impose on students which drive up the cost and does nothing toward learning subjects pertinent to the course of study. When I went to college I choose a major and a minor which I felt would do me the best good rather than taking subjects like advanced basket weaving. In fact, I have no qualms with strictly vocational schools or business colleges where electives are not required.

I, too, have great respect for those artisans. If I’m looking for someone to fix a leak in my plumbing, I’m looking for someone who is competent about what he does. I don’t care if he never finished high school.

I’ve got around 35 years working on automatic transmissions, and I did not not go to school to learn it. I was taught by a mentor and after that, I learned on my own. People like these kids today, I don’t think, have the work ethic or the desire get there hands dirty and learn a trade. I’m semi retired now, and for the last 6+ years I worked in a prison. Part time I still fix trannies, and I make more doing one than I make in a week at the prison.

I think I agree that they probably aren’t mentally ill, perhaps just brainwashed?

Oh I can see you can have a hot time with those :grin:

When your investing your money there’s something called a ROI (return on investment) that people look at. Sadly it isn’t explained to college kids. It seems mostly they go for what they “want” to do. (Ok, not mostly but I’ll say mostly for those that find themselves in trouble). And a lot of people don’t stop & really think about paying debt back (either college costs or even credit cards). Creating a debt of $100,000 would probably be fine IF your going to end up with a high paying job. By high paying I mean that you will make enough to live well plus have extra to pay off those debts. Even then I would suggest living “lean” the first few years & front loading your payments on that debt. Most people don’t do that either. As someone who is basically cheap I look around & am shocked to see the insane way people handle debt. I have more compassion for the college students because many of them just don’t know about finances, others not so much.
Someone I know came to mind as an example. She graduated Vet school with $110,000 in student loans. Finally got a pretty good paying job of around $60+ thousand per year in a low cost of living area. And then spend the next 8 years paying just interest payments on that debt while she “enjoyed” her income. Oh & she was in her early 30’s when she graduated. In my opinion she is setting herself up for a bleak old age because that debt is going to haunt her.

People should know by now how low opinion I have of Psychiatry. This people are crazy.

My opinion is: A small percentage of people get into psychiatry because they really want to help people.
Another small percentage of people get into psychiatry because they want the money that they can make.
The biggest percentage of people get into psychiatry because they want to figure out what’s wrong with themselves or a family member.
Psychiatry is not even close to being an exact science.

Bingo! (to all of it)

As a proud owner of a couple of Hookers, I completely agree!