Head Transplants

“*A radical plan for transplanting a head onto someone else’s body is set to be announced. But is such ethically sensitive surgery even feasible?*IT’S heady stuff. The world’s first attempt to transplant a human head will be launched this year at a surgical conference in the US. The move is a call to arms to get interested parties together to work towards the surgery.
*The idea was first proposed in 2013 by Sergio Canavero of the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group in Italy. He wants to use the surgery to extend the lives of people whose muscles and nerves have degenerated or whose organs are riddled with cancer. Now he claims the major hurdles, such as fusing the spinal cord and preventing the body’s immune system from rejecting the head, are surmountable, and the surgery could be ready as early as 2017.”

First human head transplant could happen in two years - health - 25 February 2015 - New Scientist

*So suppose you have a typical brain-dead body with organs and tissues that could benefit (and even save) the lives of a dozen people. Would it be moral to stick someone’s head on that same body and save only one life? What if the person whose head you’re saving was rich and had signed a contract pledging $100 million in research grants if their head was reconnected?

Tough decisions are going to have to be made until we’re able to fabricate organs at-will.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/msLusZYoDZZViA0Xhs0hMsw.jpg

Yes, it’s been a well-sourced story.

I kind of doubt this, as if we had the ability to re-attach nerves in such a way where the body wouldn’t reject them, wouldn’t we have been to do this with limbs? By comparison, it should be a far simpler procedure.

I could resist, but I won’t. Is Joe Biden going to be the first recipient?..

Why anyone would WANT to save Biden’s head will remain one of the mysteries of the ages.

Um, he’s suggesting that Biden be the recipient of a new head. The old one could be tossed with no loss . . .

Remember Barney Clark? Recipient of an artificial heart.

We could give Slow Joe an artificial HEAD…

Fine, but who’d notice?

I foresee this being the replacement “source for jokes”; out distancing even Brian Williams’s “I was there–” or the Patriots “deflated footballs”!! :howler::thatsfunny::beerchug:

1 Like