Hebrews 1:1-2

*Hebrews 1:1-2
Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.

The O.T. was written in 39 different books reflecting different historical times, locations, cultures, and situations. These included visions, symbols, and parables, written in both poetry and prose. Though the literacy form and style varied, it was always God’s revelation of what He wanted His people to know. The revelation of the O.T. described God’s program of redemption (1 Peter 1:10-12) and His will for His people (Romans 15:4; 2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Jews understood the “last days” to mean the time when Messiah (Christ) would come (Numbers 24:14; Jeremiah 33:14-16; Micah 5:1-2; Zechariah 9:9, 16). The fulfillment of the messianic prophecies commenced with the advent of the Messiah. Since He came, it has been the “last days” (1 Corinthians 10:11; James 5:3; 1 Peter 1:20, 4:7; 1 John 2:18). In the past, God gave revelation through His prophets, but in these times, beginning with the Messiah’s advent, God spoke the message of redemption through the Son.

The writer of Hebrews says that in the old days, God spoke in many different ways. God spoke through the prophets. God spoke to Moses through a storm and thunder up on the mountain and through a burning bush. God spoke to Elijah through a still small voice which, by the way, was not some inner impression, still a voice. In the book of Numbers chapter 22, God even made a donkey talk. So God did indeed speak in many different ways. But in these last days, says the writer of Hebrews, God has spoken to us in His Son. Jesus is the final speaking of God. Everything that God has to say to us, He has said in His Son Jesus Christ, and we have a perfect, inerrant, infallible, all-sufficient record of that in His Word. Jesus is the final speaking of God.

The Holy Spirit brings people to our mind, guides our steps, convicts us of sin, draws unbelievers. We, as Christians, are led by God’s Holy Spirit in His sovereign will. But, when people say God spoke to me, God told me to tell you, or something to this effect, they have entered some very dangerous territory. If God is speaking that way today in a direct quotable sense, outside of Scripture, then whatever God is saying should be just as authoritative as any verse in God’s Word. It should carry the same authority. God does not speak less authoritatively on one occasion than He does on another. If God is speaking, God is speaking. If God is speaking today outside of Scripture, then what we’ve got is an open canon of Scripture, suggesting the Word of God is not sufficient. That’s where the battle is being called today. The truth of the matter is, despite the supposed direct revelations of the likes of Beth Moore, Sarah Young, and others, God does not speak today through direct or divine revelation and they canons are indeed closed and the Scripture is indeed sufficient. This is the way God speaks to us today, though the Scriptures.

If you want to hear God speak to you, there’s one way I can guarantee you will hear God speak. That is to read your Bible. If you want to hear God speak to you audibly, read it out loud. Here’s how you know God’s will for your life. Read and study the Word of God, obey it. Pray for wisdom. The Word of God is sufficient.

I’m not aware of anything in scripture that precludes God from speaking by other means (the scripture you cited doesn’t exclude other means). That doesn’t mean we should be overly credulous; but neither does it justify summary dismissal.

If we reject the “full Sola Scriptura” position and accept that such personal revelation from God is possible (or worse – commonplace), how can we know that what we (or others) are hearing is from God? After all, Satan masquerades as an angel of light.

The way I approach my communications/interactions with God is that it is a one way street; generally when I pray. Any said “speaking” from God will hopefully result in positive world experiences, decisions and of course, through reading of the bible.

Without rejecting free will, I have to have faith that my environment will allow me the opportunity to land on the right side of the ledger in this process called life.

Thanks for responding. No need to hope for what opportunities your environment will allow, man. Repent and believe the Gospel. Put your trust in Jesus Christ as the only way.

I agree that we don’t have to hear from God Audibly because He has had everything written and placed in His Book. YET, I have heard him speak to me…no doubt the holy spirit and I don’t mean telling me who will be the next president, or when the world will end…but in answer to my prayers or when i’m speaking to him and he puts that audible thought in my head that is the answer to my question or a response to me that I know didn’t come from me. …I hear him.

For any that hear Him audibly…and there could be some…You weigh those words against what He said in His scriptures. He does not contradict himself. He does not say kill this person or blow up these people. That would be a contradiction. or islam.

Caroline, why the need to end your posting on a such a negative and broadly, generalised note? For the most part, this forum is positive and often informative, then somethings a positive discussion ends with an angry note.

Just my two cents, it’s a downer and certainly a disingenuous statement in my experiences.

I’m not a Catholic, but Sola Scriptura isn’t actually in the scriptures. I’m not advocating that we not be discerning, and anything clearly contrary to scripture is a candidate for dismissal. But scripture itself says that it didn’t record everything Jesus did on Earth, and I don’t believe it’s a stretch to say that it doesn’t say everything He said.

My understanding of the term “Sola Scriptura” means that everything we need to know is in the scriptures. However, sometimes the experiences of other people may sometimes help us understand the scripture. But anything that is* contrary* to the scriptures should be rejected.

truth is uncomfortable.

He’s also fond of (mis)interpreting scripture.

Which do you think is more susceptible to being tricked, the earthly mind or the spirit? Interpretation is a mental process, that can only be guided by the Spirit. While direct communion with the Spirit is beyond the Earthly flesh realm.

God reveals Himself to His people. He revealed Himself in many ways and now reveals Himself through the Scriptures, which were inspired by the Holy Spirit and this is the inerrant Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Communication to God is done with prayer. Prayer is not contemplative. The way God speaks to us now is through the Word.

That’s backwards. The Spirit is needed to read the word. The word without the Spirit is inert. One can have salvation without ever touching a Bible, but none can do so without ever communing with the Spirit.

That’s true. The Holy Spirit draws people, indwells every believer and seals the salvation of every believer. For someone to be saved, though, they need to somehow know about salvation, not that knowledge saves, but that they need to learn about what they are saved from, Christ is the only means of salvation and they need to have faith in Him and repent. Also, prayer is not contemplative. The way God speaks to us now is through the Word and this is how He reveals Himself.