Hello Hello Hello!

Hey! I go by Liz, and before I filled out the questionnaire I thought I might give you some more info about me. I’m 24 years old, and about to start my education at Appalachian State University in two weeks. My major is History/social studies Secondary Education. God willing, I am hoping to be a high school history teacher. I should be finished with my education in 2 years. I’m a Christian, and a staunch conservative. All that I have stated above makes me different than most people my age (especially girls) in college - and definitely sets me apart from the majority of public school educators in this country. I have an obsession with Disney and once upon a time I wanted to go into animation and work for them. Even looked into their internship program. Walt Disney was one of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th century. Only in our country could Disney ever happen. The only thing that kept me from persuing that goal was that my love for history and my country outweigh Disney (FYI, Walt and his brother Roy were republicans and were friends with Reagan! - This made me too happy). I have been a nanny for 3 years, and I worked at Build-a-Bear workshop this summer. I have been aware of politics since age 11 (no lie) since I have been a life long conservative since September 12th, 2001.

1. What state do you vote in? North Carolina
  2. Are you, or were you ever a member of the armed forces? No - I do have military history in my family tree, and I give so much respect for those who are serving or who have served.
  3. Does your username have any meaning? arielle for the disney princess (I know…I’m a red head and I’m told constantly I look like Ariel) and Liz because thats my name.
  4. What are 3 or more of your favorite books (not necessarily in order)?

The Bible
Chronicles of Narnia Series
Widow of The South

1. What is the most important topic for you in the next election?
    Foreign Policy, The economy, Domestic Terrorism, ISIS, Abortion

2. How long have you been lurking around the forums before signing up?
    Since Yesterday. I have been looking for a good conservative forum for a while and this place looks pretty good.

Welcome to RO Liz!

Welcome.

Trying to become a history teacher and being a Christian will put you into a conflict with how academia has been rewriting history.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome! I’m afraid I’m not as enthusiastic as you about Disney, at least the way it’s gone in recent decades (I think Walt Disney would be spinning in his grave). I do like some of the older Disney movies like Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Cinderella I didn’t see any of them until adulthood).

I do like the Narnia series (the book (I have them in a single volume)), and I read my Bible every day.

1 Like

Welcome, enjoy the site!

Thank you for the warm welcomes! :grin:

Devilneck
Welcome, enjoy the site!
07-27-2015, 07:32 AMFantasy Chaser

Hi and welcome! I’m afraid I’m not as enthusiastic as you about Disney, at least the way it’s gone in recent decades (I think Walt Disney would be spinning in his grave). I do like some of the older Disney movies like Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Cinderella I didn’t see any of them until adulthood).

I do like the Narnia series (the book (I have them in a single volume)), and I read my Bible every day.

Yes he would be, but the way it is now is do to the fact that the Disney family has little to no say in what goes on in the company. All together the family owns less than 3% of Disney, and no Disney has sat on the board of executives since Roy E. Disney passed away in 2009. Steve Jobs owned 7.5% of Disney which made him the largest owner of the Company. He is dead, so his wife now has that 7.5%.

I love the traditional style of animation displayed in the movies you mentioned and the pixar-computer animated movies aren’t my cup of tea. Disney was in it’s prime during the 40’s and 50’s and again after Beauty and the Beast. Now not so much, they are too busy acquiring other brands to make Disney movies with substance. It baffles me how Frozen did better in the box office than Lion King.

John Blutarski
Welcome.

Trying to become a history teacher and being a Christian will put you into a conflict with how academia has been rewriting history.

I know this, and its one of the reasons that if its financially possible for me (specifically when I get married) to teach in private schools once I graduate I will do so. I make it a point to educate myself on History outside of a school setting and a school textbook. I have not only chosen education as my future career out of my love of history, but because I also want time to raise my children if and when I have them. I want to raise my children rather than the state through the public school system. I want control of their education (for instance sex ed.) and I don’t want my children mandated to be inundated with information about different sexual lifestyles and liberal agendas.

1 Like

Hello, Liz and welcome to you. A conservative history teacher. An admirable profession and a lofty goal - running the university gauntlet and coming out the other end a conservative. However, it can be done and I’m pulling for you - and us - that you to do just that. I especially appreciated the fact you intend to read and research beyond the reading list provided by your professors. That is what it takes to come through the process with a broad, well rounded perspective. In my opinion, the university experience is most valuable if it is understood as a means to provide a framework centered around how to do research and how to think critically. I hope you are prepared to be told WHAT to think. What to think should be up to you based on the work/reading/research you’ve put into the subject matter.

Enjoy the site.

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, I am a sophomore/Junior right now (2 credits shy from being a junior) and I have already been through being told what to think by professors who would rather teach based on their opinions rather than fact. In a paper I wrote last year for one of my political science classes I wrote how the framers of our government intended for the legislative branch to hold more power than the executive. I was then told how wrong I was (they offered no reason as to why they didn’t agree) and was promptly given an 85%. I was fine with the grade, I ended up acing the course, but I chuckle because an all powerful strong executive is what the framers were avoiding. Any reasonably intelligent person can see that. Congress continues to hold more power than the executive branch, which is why Obama has such a disdain for the Constitution and Congress. I am sure it will only get worse from my future professors in Appalachian State, but I am prepared.

(Edit: I did respond to my professor’s comments on my paper by further clarifying my stance and received no reply back.)

Ditto what Doc said–and welcome to RO! In order to have a decent-looking transcript, you’ll have to parrot what your teachers tell you but you DON’T have to buy it hook, line and sinker, personally. If and when you apply for a teaching position, you DARE NOT reveal your political philosophy or you’ll never be hired. Good luck!

1 Like

I have already begun cleaning up my social media by not sharing as many political articles.
Its quite sad I have to even do that…I am friends with many of my former teachers from when I was in high school and they are unashamedly liberal.
They have no fear of their school administrators seeing what they post and being punished accordingly. However, I feel like this is God’s path for me. I can’t really explain it. The longer I wanted to do animation/graphic design the more my education was stalled. Once I decided on teaching history everything has been smooth sailing.

3 Likes

:wave:

My Daughter is 22 and also a Disney freak :slight_smile:
She also gives her professors hell when they push their Leftist agenda but she has also been blessed with a few “closet conservative” teachers that have given her a platform to “school the class” on occasion; it is frequently her against the room in open debate but she loves the challenge!

And she married a great guy who teaches 4th grade and they have given me two grandbabies so far so she can do NO wrong :slayer::banana:

2 Likes

Debating a lib is fun indeed. Watching them squirm when you use facts makes me too happy.

1 Like