Hello to All

Hi, I’m new here and I’m just looking for some like-minded people to comment on the news about. In 08 I was young and stupid and voted Obama. In 12 I was older and still stupid and leaned Obama and didn’t vote. Then I converted to Catholicism and the world made sense in a different way to me. I learned the value of small and local business by having a job in one for an extended period of time (still do). I learned how our current way of looking at the world is contributing to the awful suffering we’re going through and that we cause. I will be voting for Donald J Trump this November, and will be voting Republican for the foreseeable future, unless they become something I cannot morally vote in favor of.

1. What state do you vote in?
    Illinois

2. Are you, or were you ever a member of the armed forces?
    I was not a member of the armed forces, but I have the utmost respect for anyone who did serve. Thank you to those who did.

3. Does your username have any meaning?
    Not beyond being a Trump reference and an excuse to use this as an avatar. Of course, if we really want to get into specifics, finding things funny is a very important and very deep part of my personality, without laughter I would do nothing but cry. So I suppose it does have meaning in the end, if you think hard enough.

4. What are 3 or more of your favorite books (not necessarily in order)?
    I’ll be very, incredibly honest in that I don’t read much. If I had to pick, I suppose I’d go with The Bible, Gaston Leroux’s Phantom of the Opera, and F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby. I’d like to give an honorable mention to The Giver, which, while teen lit, was a powerful enough read in my youth that I can still remember it.

5. What is the most important topic for you in the next election? It’s impossible to pick just one because all of them are so intertwined. I’d say pro-life policy, but pro-life policy doesn’t stop at birth. We need to have the choices and freedom necessary to give those children a proper education and upbringing. We need to focus on the positive aspects of marriage, and also on keeping men and women married to bring up their children together. We need to be certain we didn’t send all their jobs overseas. We need to make conditions favorable for having children again, and not focusing on just one aspect. There’s a reason there are so many abortions, and it’s because our society has rejected children. We need to give our society a reason to want children again and then the crisis will solve itself.

Economics, social policy, defense, and all of government in the end focuses on one thing, whether or not they know it, and that is “how do we make things best for the next generation?” That is what we must ask ourselves every time we evaluate our opinion, because our legacy is what we leave the ones who are next.

1. How long have you been lurking around the forums before signing up?
    I only really found you guys yesterday. I’ve wanted to post with some like-minded people because I find myself surrounded by a lot of liberals, making having simple discussion about anything nigh impossible.

And our younger members would like to know:
7) What is your favorite music?
I like an eclectic variety of music. My Big Five are Genesis (including associated solo careers), Elvis Costello, David Bowie, Al Stewart, and Jethro Tull. But I also enjoy country music like Alan Jackson, some hip hop like Bone Thugs, a lot of arena rock like Journey, metal like Queensryche and Dream Theater, even some swing like Louis Prima or some sappy stuff like Barry Manilow.

1. What galaxy are you from? The Lylat System

2. What are your favorite video games? Star Fox 64, the Zelda series, classic Sonic games, and Madden.

Welcome. I’m fairly new here myself. Most a good group of people with only a couple that lash out if you step on their toes. Don’t feel bad about voting for Obama. He’s a great speaker & it takes time & logic to understand that democrats will say anything to get votes. Again, welcome!

Thank you for the welcome.

I’ll be honest that I used to subscribe to that worldview. It wasn’t until, strangely enough, I thought about the euthanasia debate that my mind started changing. I had a dream that my mother was terminally ill, and her doctor had told her about the option for euthanasia and she asked me what she should do. I told her that I loved her, but she didn’t have to live through the pain just for me. I thought I was being merciful to her, and then I woke up and thought about it and I was helping a doctor push a vulnerable patient into ending her life. My own mother.

And that’s when I realized that when the government, or any organization, takes charity on you, they own your freedom. A trusted organization will never take advantage of that, but the United States government is not a trusted organization. That was the real catalyst to my change of mind.

Welcome. Hope you enjoy it here.

** A trusted organization will never take advantage of that, but the United States government is not a trusted organization.**
I love my country. On the other hand I don’t trust my government either. We need to make it smaller not only to cut costs but to cut back on their fingers being in everything. Any new “right” that the government gets will sooner or later be expanded beyond what it was intended. Sad but true.

I’ll add my hello. I am the old crank on here, but lately on very seldom, health reasons and such.

Welcome!!!

It was that, “What is it and what does it do?” thought process that turned me from on the fence to being Pro-Life, many decades ago. Perhaps strangely, it was an agnostic or atheist who cemented my being, generally, against long-term government social programs. Speaking without reference to religion, he referred to government social programs as coerced “charity”. IOW, government took away some of his ability to support charities of his choosing to the degree of his choosing. Being a believer, I find it horrifying to hear fellow Christians speaking of government social programs as part of fulfilling Jesus’ commands to be charitable. I do that - charity - but Christians using government taxation power for “charity” amounts to imposing “Christian” beliefs on and theft from people who are not believers.

Sorry for rambling, just pointing out where thinking things through can lead one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/SusannaHarriff/Mikes%20Stuff/Magnaclam-RO.jpg

Hi and welcome!

Well I can forgive for voting for Obama the first time, thankfully you did not vote for him twice.

I hope you will join in the discussions and hopefully learn something as you continue to hammer our your own personal dogma.