Hey there

Hey there from Italy. I joined this forum for two reasons: first of all I am a conservative and second of all I love the USA, especially after visiting it for the first time last year.

The slow methodical turn right

Welcome to RO.

:usa:

Welcome! I am trying to learn the Italian language, but I’m not really going about it correctly; anyway, I don’t have the proper resources to do so.

Cool, any reason in particular why?

Thanks for the welcome people, even if you are out of power, it doesn’t mean that all is lost politically. In Italy we have an election next year, some form of left-wing coalition will most likely get in power thanks to to Berlusconi ruining everything, so we’ll most likely face the same problem.

Welcome to the forums.

No particular reason, except that I was writing a little fiction - not that I write worth a hoot - but it was sort-of a sequel to a piece of fan-fiction my son (Fantasy Chaser) wrote, and one of the main characters was from Italy. I had reason to try to translate a statement into Italian, and it took off from there. I had also audited a class in Italian for about half a semester 'way back in the dark ages when I was in college (in 1960). I remembered a few of the details I learned from that.

I see, that’s pretty interesting then! Have you been to Italy before out of interest?

Welcome.

Welcome. I’ve been to Italy… but it was as a 19 year old sailor, so I was only interested in… well, never mind, I’m sure everyone can figure out that it wasn’t the architecture :wink:

Hi and welcome! No, Mom hasn’t been out of the U.S., other than international airspace between California and Hawaii (same for me; I was stationed at NAS Barbers Pt. when it was still operational in the '80s).

Nope, never been out of the US.

I see, I can’t imagine not going outside of my own country, but with the size of the US, I guess its like never leaving Europe.

Heh, yeah, Italy is slightly smaller than New Mexico and slightly larger than Arizona.

I didn’t know that, I thought the only states bigger than Italy would have been Texas, California and Alaska. One thing that I envy about the US is the federal system you have, I’d love for the northern regions to have autonomy like American states do.

[quote=“Lega_Nord, post:14, topic:37070”]
I didn’t know that, I thought the only states bigger than Italy would have been Texas, California and Alaska. One thing that I envy about the US is the federal system you have, I’d love for the northern regions to have autonomy like American states do.
[/quote]Some of us would love it if our states had the autonomy they’re supposed to have :smiley:

Welcome to RO! I’ve been to Florence, Milan, Verona, Rome, Venice, and (perhaps my favorite) San Gimignano. Italy is truly a beautiful country.

Welcome!!!

The two countries nearest where I live in San Jose, CA are Mexico and Canada. The border with Mexico is 700 or 800 km from me, and the Canadian border is about 1500 km away (both in a straight line; in language and culture western Canada is very similar to the western US). It would be interesting to see 750 km radius circles drawn on a map of Europe, with center points at cities like Paris, Berlin and Vienna, to see how many countries are within 750 km from each of those cities. The US is a big place, and possibly not as homogeneous as some folks in Europe might imagine.