Hey

Hello there!

Stumbled on this forum about 2 days ago and have decided to make an account. I created this account because on most political forums, I am in the majority, so it will be interesting to be in the minority for once :eek:
Views:

Very strongly atheist (ill primarily debate/post about religion)

Liberal Socially - Gay is okay, abortion is okay in most situations, disagree with religion.

Republican on Governmental issues - Local politics > Federal, low taxes unless something needs funds, strong army.

Other:
Don’t care about grammar and spelling as much as some people.
Into coding Java and sometimes C++
Favorite color is gray
Live in North Carolina

Hope to have some good debates!

HOWDY!!

A word of advice. If you are going to be primarily posting about religion please read over the countless threads started by other atheist that have visited the forum. I am sure some of your points have been hashed out countless times here and it will save all of us some time in the long run.

Also a bit of a personal question. I was once an atheist like yourself but I never felt the urge to disprove something I did not believe existed. Why do you feel that urge? Also I am Buddhist now and have been for nearly 10 years.

Thank you for the advice!

I guess the reason that I try to prove that god is fake is to convert people away from their beliefs that I think are to outdated and immoral to be accepted in a modern society. I believe that the world would be a much better place if everyone was atheist just as many Christians believe the world would be a better place if everyone was Christian. It goes both ways.

Thats all I can say for now. Ill probably elaborate later.

I suspect that the reason you try to prove that God is fake is that you’re trying to convince yourself. If everyone was atheist, sin and violence would be rampant. If everyone were Christian - well, we’d still have our differences, we’re still human. On the other hand, if everyone were Christian, I daresay God would see no reason to perpetuate our fallen world, and would renew to the new heavens and new earth “wherein dwelleth righteousness”, and Satan would be cast into hell where he could no longer tempt people to sin.

I disagree Susanna. Sin and violence is rampant today in the US despite a majority of Americans being Christians. Humans beings are humans beings regardless of what labels we attach to ourselves.

It’s not rampant to the point it would be if everyone were atheists - there would be NO restraints.

True, Susanna. There is sin and evil in the US today because Satan is hard at work here–and we have an ever-growing population of non-Christians settling here almost daily…including many who CLAIM Christianity but who are in no way “Christians.”

[quote=“Susanna, post:4, topic:48114”]
I suspect that the reason you try to prove that God is fake is that you’re trying to convince yourself. If everyone was atheist, sin and violence would be rampant. If everyone were Christian - well, we’d still have our differences, we’re still human. On the other hand, if everyone were Christian, I daresay God would see no reason to perpetuate our fallen world, and would renew to the new heavens and new earth “wherein dwelleth righteousness”, and Satan would be cast into hell where he could no longer tempt people to sin.
[/quote]o_O
When did you become postmillennial? Jack convince you?

Saying you are Christian and being a Christian are not the same.

I’m a bit confused as to how I am listed as the person who referred you to this site. Would you care to explain?

I disagree. People can follow rules and have restraints with out believing in a higher power or god. Morals come from in you, not from an ancient book with “facts” that have been proven wrong.

You do not need to worship a higher power or god to be a good person with restraints and morals. In fact, atheist are actually LESS likely to commit crimes ( Atheists Are 0.07% of the Federal Prison Population, Threatening Fact for Christian Fundamentalists | Alternet ). Your restraints come from inside you, not an ancient book written by people that needed something to follow.

EDIT:
Double post my bad. I thought the first one didn’t send.

Untruthful as usual

[quote=“goobishYT, post:12, topic:48114”]
You do not need to worship a higher power or god to be a good person with restraints and morals. In fact, atheist are actually LESS likely to commit crimes ( Atheists Are 0.07% of the Federal Prison Population, Threatening Fact for Christian Fundamentalists | Alternet ). Your restraints come from inside you, not an ancient book written by people that needed something to follow.

EDIT:
Double post my bad. I thought the first one didn’t send.
[/quote] Nonsense. Where do you think the very CONCEPT of good and evil comes from? Did it spring, unbidden, from some primitive’s forehead?

Oh, yes, how much better the world would be if all its leaders were atheists - like Josef Stalin, Chairman Mao, Pol Pot, Adolph Hitler, Saddam Hussein . . .

And before anyone tries to tell us that those last two were Christians - well, Hitler made a pretense to enlist the support of Christians. He wasn’t exactly atheist, though, I think; I understand he followed pagan religions - but he was certainly not a Christian. As for Hussein - he would have been called a Christian by the Muslims, because to the Middle-East Muslims, there are only three groups of people - Muslims, Jews, and Christians. So if you’re neither Muslim nor Jewish, they call you a Christian. I don’t believe Hussein claimed any religion, which would make him an atheist.

Also, being a Christian is not like other religions, to which you can claim “membership,” and chose to follow their rules as loosely or tightly as you please (or dare), while being a Christian is not that simple - yet it is much more simply. It is believing the gospel of Jesus Christ, having your sins forgiven through the efficacy of the blood of Christ, and having a personal relationship to Jesus Christ. No religion other than Christianity has a Saviour, nor a close relationship with the god of said religion.

Susanna I do not think there is any religion(other than Scientology) that you “claim membership” religion is not that simple. Just like with Christianity you cannot just claim to be X and not follow it the ways of that religion. If you claim to be X and do not folly its ways and teachings then you are not X.

Well, some religions are “looser” than others about enforcing their ways. Just as many churches are loose about their membership, taking in people who do not follow their stated beliefs. Doesn’t mean, of course, that they are Christians, even though they probably call themselves so.

This crap is just as obnoxious as as bible thumpers trying to convert you to Christianity.

1. Welcome

2. About what you have said: While it might be true that you do not need to worship a higher power or god to be a good person with restraints and morals, the fact is that you were raised in a traditionally Judeo-Christian society with laws based on Judeo-Christian beliefs and general societal norms based on those same beliefs, and you have internalized some of those beliefs… Therefore, you are the product of those beliefs, whether you care to admit it or not.

But if a society were to arise without that foundation, but rather with a foundation that there is no God and no higher source of morals, it would be a dark, cold, ruthless existence, as have many human societies in millennia past. In fact, you have already adopted some evil beliefs, thinking its okay to slaughter babes in the womb, and the acceptance of sexual perversion (homosexuality). You are actually the product of a traditionally Judeo-Christian society that has started to drift away from that tradition, and such evils are the signs of that drifting.