Hi from Nevada!

Hello fello GOP members! I’m liberterian on the social stuff, but fiscally conservative.

`
Welcome to RO, the best posting board on the web, home to
many wise and ancient Conservative philosophers, gurus, and
kind-hearted-wizards.

Many the Force be with you.

:diamonds:

Welcome, just so you know, you’re not alone as a classical liberalish person here. :slight_smile:

Welcome Malerin. I’m just to the right of Ghengis Khan.

TT

Welcome!!!

Please be sure to read our Guide to Surviving RO. The questions are to help us start to get to know you in a sometimes fun way. Besides, we’re a nosy bunch.

welcome!

Welcome to RO!

Thanks alll!

It’s all good, American Girl. Some of my worst enem- I mean best friends are liberals!

It’d be more convenient if the “liberals” of the Anglophone world would actually call themselves what they are, social democrats. Whereas in Europe, a liberal is someone on the right of the political spectrum.

We have our own way of classifying; don’t try to make us use Europe’s. We’ve already got too many people trying to “Europeanize” us. We know what the terms mean to an American; doesn’t matter what they mean to a European.

Classical liberalism is well known historical term, which all right-wing economic thought stems from, where would any of us be without people like Smith.

I know of only one person on this site who uses that term to identify himself. None of the rest of us identify him as that. His premise is that usage of words never change. He is absolutely wrong.

Of course the meaning of words do change, classical liberalism in the US is more so represented by libertarianism, which is basically classical liberalism on steroids anyway. What would you identify a classical liberal as then?

I don’t use the term.

Fine, what would you define someone with socially libertarian social views, but economically right wing views?

Confused.

I just really don’t make a big deal out of it. If I’m called upon to “define” someone, he’s usually liberal or conservative.

One cannot believe in Conservatism and think that redistribution of a nation’s wealth is a “good idea” any more than one can believe in Conservatism and think that women have the “right” to kill their unborn babies for “convenience.”

Lucky for you I neither support abortion or extreme redistributions of wealth. I do believe to an extent that redistribution of wealth is necessary, I would be a hypocrite if I was against it, as it’s been what has allowed many Central and Eastern European countries to prosper in recent years.

Not that I’m surprised, but you just contradicted yourself. You claimed to be an “economic conservative” but a "social “liberal.” Obviously untrue. Sorry, but what has allowed many Central and Eastern European countries to “prosper” in recent years is CAPITALISM.

I’m economically right wing, but socially liberal for the most part, that’s not hard to understand. I agree with you 100% there, capitalism with distribution of wealth from the wealthy European states to the poorer ones, the agency to choose a European destiny and being given money from the more affluent Western European countries has allowed countries like Poland to spend more, yet cut taxes, the best of both worlds really.