Holder runs into roadblocks on off-the-record meetings on leaks

Holder runs into roadblocks on off-the-record meetings on leaks
CNN Senior Producer Carol Cratty
Updated at 7:21 a.m. ET on Thursday 5/30

Washington (CNN) - Attorney General Eric Holder’s plans to sit down with media representatives to discuss guidelines for handling investigations into leaks to the news media have run into trouble.

The Associated Press issued a statement Wednesday objecting to plans for the meetings to be off the record. “If it is not on the record, AP will not attend and instead will offer our views on how the regulations should be updated in an open letter,” said Erin Madigan White, the AP’s media relations manager.

The New York Times is taking the same position. “It isn’t appropriate for us to attend an off-the-record meeting with the attorney general,” executive editor Jill Abramson said in a statement.

Like the New York Times and the Associated Press, CNN will decline the invitation for an off-the-record meeting. A CNN spokesperson says if the meeting with the attorney general is on the record, CNN would plan to participate.

Even the purpose of this meeting, as described by CNN, sounds Big-Brother-ish. I wonder if this refusal by so many large MSM outlets signals more than just an, “I won’t go there,” moment. It would have to be a very large and loud bus, but … well … it’s a pleasant image. My face won’t be turning blue.

From the article:

A Justice Department official said Wednesday the sessions would be off the record to encourage a full exchange of ideas.

There are so many things going through my head about all this, but that quote might help reign in some of my scattered thoughts.

There’s something underhanded going on here. Can we all agree on that?

Just for starters, there already are laws dictating what the government may, or may not do, when it comes to one of its agencies investigating possible crimes.

AG Holder knows that he went beyond the parameters of the law, and he also knows that he lied under oath. Proving it might be another matter, but that’s what it is at the moment - another matter. (Sort of.)

What he didn’t count on was the media turning on him and this administration. At least not out loud.
And now he wants to have an “off the record” meeting with the very people he attempted to (illegally) investigate in what appears an obvious attempt to placate.

Two problems with that: the laws are EVERYbody’s business, and they gored the wrong ox.

There could be a silver lining to all this, and for once I’m proud of the DBM for not caving, even if it did take their personal ox being gored to stand up to these slimeballs in their attempt to appease so they could wash over their own crimes.

Furthermore, I’m fairly certain that that the administration went after not-so-very-conservative news outlets so that they could claim plausible deniability in who they were really after - their favorite news outlet to hate - FOXNews. IOW, “We treat them ALL the same!”

Again, what they never counted on was the DBM turning on them.

Tsk. Tsk.
Burn, fools!

Several MSM outlets chose to go to this OTR show. I hope at least one had the courage to have their reporter carry an MP3 player or other device capable of recording the travesty, just so the public can know all that went on. I won’t be turning blue.

It’s obvious that Holder is trying to give ice cream cones to DBM.

It’s fun watching him squirm, stunned that the flavor he chose isn’t to their liking.