Holiday recipes

OK, gang. Hectorman inspired me this AM with his talk about the Christmas season being here, so let’s get to planning our Holiday menus. Post any favorite Holiday dish, and it’s recipe/instructions.

Ginger Snap Ham.

[LIST]
[]1 ham, hock end. I like the “shank” portion.
[
]1/4 cup brown mustard
[]2 cups dark brown sugar
[
]1-ounce bourbon (poured into a spritz bottle)
[*]2 cups crushed ginger snap cookies
[/LIST]
Heat oven to 250 degrees F.

Remove ham from bag, rinse and drain thoroughly. Place ham, cut  side down, in a roasting pan. Using a clean utility knife set to the smallest blade setting, score the ham from  bottom to top, spiraling clockwise as you cut. (If you're using a paring  knife, be careful to only cut through the skin and first few layers of  fat). Rotate the ham after each cut so that the scores are no more than  2-inches across. Once you've made it all the way around, move the knife  to the other hand and repeat, spiraling counter clockwise. The aim is to  create a diamond pattern all over the ham. (Don't worry too much about  precision here.) 

Tent the ham with heavy duty foil, insert a thermometer, and cook  for 3 to 4 hours or until the internal temperature at the deepest part  of the meat registers 130 degrees F. 

Remove from the oven, and pull away the diamonds of skin and any sheets of fat that come off with them.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. 

Dab dry with paper towels, then brush on a liberal coat of mustard.   Sprinkle on brown sugar, packing loosely as you go  until the ham is coated. Spritz this layer lightly with bourbon, then  loosely pack on as much of the crushed cookies as you can. 

Insert the thermometer (don't use the old hole) and return to the  oven, uncovered. Cook until interior temperature reaches 140 degrees F,  approximately 1 hour. 

Let the ham rest for 1/2 hour before carving.

Oyster and Cranberry Stuffing:
12 cups day old bread cut in 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes
4 cups chopped onions
2 cups diced celery
1 cup flat leaf parsley
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chopped almonds
2 cups fresh or packaged oysters, drained.
3 cups chicken stock
1 stick butter (real butter) melted
3 extra large eggs beaten
2 tsp. sage
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt(to taste)
2 9x13 glass casserole dish

Put little melted butter in baking dish to butter sides and bottom. Put rest in large skillet on high heat, dump in the onion and celery and sautee - you can add more butter if needed. Add almonds. While that is sweating, put bread into large bowl, Beat eggs, pour into bread mix. Put seasonings into mix and stir. Put drained oysters in mix (you can chop the oysters if you like) Add the cranberries, and mix it all up.
By this time the onions and celery are sauteed nicely - translucent - pour whole pan into stuffing mix - including whatever butter is left from the sauteeing. Stir loosely together…mix will still be fairly dry. Add 2 cups of warm chicken stock, mix stuffing together - if not moist enough, add more stock. Mix loosely, mixture should be moist but not oozing. Pour into buttered baking dishes and cover with foil. Put into 350 degree preheated oven and bake for about 35-40 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven. Dig in!
Enjoy.

24 hr ham

Butt or shoulder fresh ham, 10 -20 lbs

Place in a large covered Turkey roasting pan, fat side up

Start grabbing bottles of partially used ‘stuff’ (marinades, spices, non diary based salad dressings bbq sauce etc) dump them over the top (if you like sweeter, then molasses, honey or brown sugar added)

Pour some beer or wine, bit of water to bring liquid level up about halfway on the ham

Place in oven, 225 (200 if your oven runs a bit hot)

Check in 6 hrs to insure the fat has not rendered down and filled up the roasting pan (you might need to drain off some fat)

24 hrs later, eat

Wife and I just did a 19 lbs ham, we will eat on it a few days and she then bags it and freezes it in dinner sized portions. Last us all winter. Mixes well with beans, corn etc for a one dish meal…

I’ve got a recipe for cranberry and pistachio biscotti; I made them with raisins and walnuts (which I usually have on hand).

The cranberries & pistahios were for the red and green color.

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
Ingredients
• 1/4 cup light olive oil
• 3/4 cup white sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
• 2 eggs
• 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 cup dried cranberries
• 1 1/2 cups pistachio nuts

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, mix together oil and sugar until well blended. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts, then beat in the eggs. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually stir into egg mixture. Mix in cranberries and nuts by hand.
  3. Divide dough in half. Form two logs (12x2 inches) on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Dough may be sticky; wet hands with cool water to handle dough more easily.
  4. Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until logs are light brown. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
  5. Cut logs on diagonal into 3/4 inch thick slices. Lay on sides on parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until dry; cool.

I think I would like the pistacios and craisins, myself, but both sound great. I’ll make this for Christmas dinner. Thanx Susanna.

Sherried Green Beans with Mushrooms

1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans trimmed
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1/3 cup thinly sliced shallots
3/4 pound mushroom blend, coarsely chopped
(I use 1/4 lb cremini, 1/4 lb shiitake and 1/4 lb chanterelles.)
1/4 cup dry sherry
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Steam green beans 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; remove from heat.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots to pan; sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Stir in sherry; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid almost evaporates (about 2 minutes). Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter and green beans; cook 30 seconds or until thoroughly heated, tossing to coat. Remove from heat. Add parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper; toss to combine.
Enjoy.

On at least one of the Holidays, we will have our traditional fessenjoon.

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:7, topic:36387”]
[/quote]Is this the dish?

Savorychicks: Fesenjoon - One of the Best Persian Stews

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:7, topic:36387”]
[/quote]I looked at the recipe that Sam pulled up. Man, that looks scrumptious!
I love pomegranates. Have a bush in my back yard. I make pomegranate martinis, and Mrs. Tiny just loves them, in fact, too much. At a party we had for some friends who were moving away, she drank a few too many. Hilarious.
I suppose the syrup is pretty much the same. I use about 8 cups of Pomegranate juice, 1 cup of sugar and a bit of lemon juice. Cook down to 1 1/2 -2 cups.
CL, I am making this for Thanksgiving. My wife and daughter would prefer this to Turkey. Thanx a bunch. Yanno, I think I’ll make a trial run, next weekend.
I’ll let you know how it turns out. If you have any tips/tricks, let me know, please.

For the record, this is not a holiday dish. It just sort of became one in out our home. LOL!

Fessenjoon is a sweet and sour stew. I didn’t read the recipe that Sam posted. SOme people make it with beef because it is easier to cook. However, 99+% of the time, the meat in it will be chicken.

The twist on it is the balance of sweet and sour. Some like to balance it more one way than the other. The other part of it is that the sauce is supposed to be thick but no more chunky than the chicken itself. It is definitely not supposed to be runny. Grinding the walnuts into the smallest size possible (a little larger than powder seems to work fine). Of course, like many Persian dishes, if it meant to be served over fluffy saffron rice. The saffron gives he rice a subtle flavor and a yellowish orange appearance. The rice and fessenjoon are usually brought to the table separately. That way once can choose how much rice they want.

Now amongst my family, my niece refuses to eat it because it is brown. She claims that it reminds of something she should not eat which is her loss. Any of my family and firnds that have tried it, love it. It is a flavor explosion few Americans have experienced.

In amongst all the holiday eating, we often want to get back to something more normal:

17 Oaks Superburgers

• 4 lbs of extra lean ground* beef
• 1 lbs of sharp cheddar cheese, ¼-1/2 inch cubes or shredded
• 1 lbs of smoked and peppered bacon,* 1/2 inch slices
• 8 oz of yellow mustard
• 8 oz of your favorite BBQ sauce
• 1 large sweet onion diced
• 2 fresh jalapenos finely chopped
• 1 bunch of spring onions fine chopped to include the greens
• 2 oz Worsterschire sauce
• 2 oz Lime juice
• 4 eggs
• 4+/- oz of spices [steak seasoning, Southwest seasoning, etc
• Buns are optional

In large mixing bowl place hamburger meat, eggs, liquid ingredients and spices. Mix well using hands or mixer. Form meat in bottom of bowl to make a bowl and add rest of ingredients by sprinkling them across the meat evenly. Mix well using hands or mixer. Using hands make 2-3 burgers per pound of bought meat. I usually make 2 if no buns or 3 if I bring buns.

• I like the 90% lean ground or even the 92% if they have it. WHY? The bacon…I add bacon to proivide the for juciyness, flavor and keep the burger meat from being so dry. If you go with the high fat meats, like 80% you may not want to add the bacon…

Yes siree, Sam’s recipe was with chicken.
BTW, cook it on a Holiday, it becomes a holiday dish.
Oh, I am really excited about cooking this for my family.
Thanx again, CL.

[quote=“17Oaks, post:11, topic:36387”]
In amongst all the holiday eating, we often want to get back to something more normal:

17 Oaks Superburgers

• 4 lbs of extra lean ground* beef
• 1 lbs of sharp cheddar cheese, ¼-1/2 inch cubes or shredded
• 1 lbs of smoked and peppered bacon,* 1/2 inch slices
• 8 oz of yellow mustard
• 8 oz of your favorite BBQ sauce
• 1 large sweet onion diced
• 2 fresh jalapenos finely chopped
• 1 bunch of spring onions fine chopped to include the greens
• 2 oz Worsterschire sauce
• 2 oz Lime juice
• 4 eggs
• 4+/- oz of spices [steak seasoning, Southwest seasoning, etc
• Buns are optional

In large mixing bowl place hamburger meat, eggs, liquid ingredients and spices. Mix well using hands or mixer. Form meat in bottom of bowl to make a bowl and add rest of ingredients by sprinkling them across the meat evenly. Mix well using hands or mixer. Using hands make 2-3 burgers per pound of bought meat. I usually make 2 if no buns or 3 if I bring buns.

• I like the 90% lean ground or even the 92% if they have it. WHY? The bacon…I add bacon to proivide the for juciyness, flavor and keep the burger meat from being so dry. If you go with the high fat meats, like 80% you may not want to add the bacon…
    [/quote]That is pretty much how I make burgers, all the time. I use 90% beef when I make Pastrami burgers, too.
    Well done.

Soounds good. Are these OK on the grill or will te meat fall apart on the grill?

You should not be disappointed.

You guys have to stop this!!! You are not helping my diabetes–My blood sugar is rising just reading this thread:rofl:

I have never not done them on the grill and that is what the eggs are for, to hold it all together. I make 2-3 burgers per lb of meat so with all the ingredients they are quite large 1 per hungry adult. We rarely eat them with buns, but I do sometimes.

That’s why I limit myself to one cup of rice.

I prefer grilled meat but large burgers can be troublesome on the grill. It sounds great even if it’s not grilled.

Around here we rarely use the stove, in fact in our remodel we discussed a no stove option, but figured that other folks would not be able to deal with that. We grill everything and the trick on these burgers is to not flip them all the time. I only flip once and you need a good size flipper to pick up the burger. I suppose you could cook them in an oven, but never tried, I love my grilled foods…