Holiday recipes

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:14, topic:36387”]
Soounds good. Are these OK on the grill or will te meat fall apart on the grill?
[/quote]They have a tendency to separate a bit, if you cook them Well Done, but as long as there is some fat, you can manage them OK. The eggs help hold them together. I use 90/10 because it is less fatty, and healthier. Cook SLOWLY over medium heat, to keep the juices in, and only flip ONCE. Use cooking spray on the grill to prevent sticking. Do not “smash” the burgers. Makes 'em dry.
If you struggle, use 85/15. No difference in taste, and you can cook them well done, without them being dry, or falling apart.

Tiny,

Did you get a chance to try fessenjoon? My wife made some the other day. It was delicious.

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:22, topic:36387”]
Tiny,

Did you get a chance to try fessenjoon? My wife made some the other day. It was delicious.
[/quote]I have all the ingredients, but it has been quite hectic at the Casa del Tiny. I plan on fixing it for this Sunday’s dinner. Mrs Tiny is very excited. She wants to try to make some flat bread, mostly for the leftovers.
I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanx for asking.

I hope that you all like it. Most anyone that I know that actually tried it, likes it.

Just had fessenjoon for supper. It was GREAT!

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:24, topic:36387”]
I hope that you all like it. Most anyone that I know that actually tried it, likes it.
[/quote]Looks and sounds delicious. Tomorrow. Cannot wait.

Cornbread-oyster dressing
2 chopped onion
2 stalks celery, chopped
6 cups crumbled cornbread
salt and pepper, to taste
2 pint shucked oysters w/liquid
1pint chicken livers
2 cups okra
1 box of sage

WOW, I have been eating Cornbread oyster dressing for all of my 60 years and have never come across so many ideas. A dish has its roots in Texas with variations of it as one goes along the coast heading east. Those folks in La also make it in a tasty way! But to answer some of your questions:

• Yes its cooked outside the bird. Use a large pan that takes up the better part of the oven [depending upon how much you want to make of course]. Cook at 350 until the dressing is damp, but firm. Then put on broil and brown the top. Best to keep your mixture less than 3 inches deep. If deeper you will have to reduce the heat, but caution or you can dry it out.
  • I guess you can use store bought cornbread, but its so easy to make why make the drive.
  • Do NOT cook the oysters before hand. ADD the fresh oysters AND the juice. How oystery you like it depends on how much you add…I will normally put in about 3 pints or so. I like the smaller oysters since they do not need to be cut up.
  • Enhance the oyster taste by adding fresh chicken liver and cut up okra or aka “East Texas Oysters”. About a pint of each.
  • You could add mushrooms, but I never have for no other reason other than don’t need the extra flavor competing with the oysters.
  • Sage, YEP and a lot of it, I just add the whole can that I get from the store. Get the ground.

When its all said and done the cornbread carries the flavor of the oyster-livers-okra which meld together. Sage and pepper are key ingredients, salt to taste and the key veggies are celery and onions. Some celery salt is also acceptable. Use chicken broth to add more liquid.

You want it damp enough to eat without choking on it but not wet unless that is your style. A good brown crusty top adds to the flavor and looks.

Be sure to cook enough to have some left over. Then put a bit of butter in a frying pan and add enough water to make your dressing sticky. Fry it up a bit like a pancake only sandwich size. After you get a brown crust put it on a slice of bread with some cranberry dressing to taste, another slice of bread and you got lunch the next day. Almost my favorite way of eating it.

You just make yourself a batch of Texas cornbread-oyster dressing…ENJOY

Now for some get away from all the Thanksgiving leftovers:

1 lb uncooked med shrimp
1 lb Scallops
1 can coconut milk
1 Head of broccoli chopped into small florets
1 Bunch of spring onions chopped into 1” long pieces, reserve about a tablespoon for garnish
1 Big handful of bean sprouts reserve about a tablespoon for garnish
1 Big handful of snow peas reserve about a tablespoon for garnish
1 package of Thai soup seasoning
1 package of Thai Rice noodles [serves 2]
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped, reserve about a tablespoon for garnish
1/4 cup Toasted Sesame Sauce
2 tablespoons of Thai hot pepper oil [I didn’t have any Sesame oil]
1 8oz can of water chestnuts, drained
Fresh pineapple and juice*
Cayenne pepper to heat level
Old Bay Seasoning about 2 tablespoons worth

Serves 4 good size portions or 2 and left overs

*Buy 1 or 2 fresh pineapples. Slice in half lengthways, gut and reserve pineapple. Pineapple halves will be used as serving dishes.

Mix veggies/pineapple in large bowl adding Sesame sauce, Thai Soup seasoning, Toasted Sesame Sauce and Hot pepper oil until well mixed. Pour can of Coconut milk in wok on stove with largest heating element, on high. Heat until beginning to boil. Add veggie mixture using tongs stirring between. Add cooked shrimp last. Stirring occasionally, bring to boil, remove from stove and serve from wok. Use large spoon with drains to get goodies and then add liquid to fill pineapple bowl. Garnish with few pieces of onion, snow peas, bean sprouts and cilantro, sit down, and eat.

Bring all to a boil and add shrimp/scallops, bring to boil again and serve.

The pineapple is just for looks, but if you pass on it, get a can of pineapple chunks and use them and the juice, probably a 12 oz can.

YES these are MY recipes…

Wow, 17oaks, that looks amazing. I have been a fan of oyster dressing, for many decades. That one looks to be great. Your shrimp dish would be delicious, too. Thanks for the input. These are going into my recipe file. I’ll make the dressing for Thanksgiving, and the shrimp dish, for Christmas. Thanx.

CL, I had the fessenjoon on Sunday evening. It was truly delicious, although I made it a bit too sweet. I used a pomegranate syrup, that was very sweet. I am gonna try again, but with less sugar. My wife loved it, but my daughter wasn’t that thrilled. Her autism makes her resistant to changes. So, I wasn’t too surprised she didn’t accept it, for now.
Great recipe. One of my new favorites. Thanx CL.
Everyone needs to try this dish.

Thank you, I grew up eating oyster dressing, its South Texas dining. AND remember ALWAYS served Tamales at Christmas dinner, its how you start your year.

Glad you liked it. It is unique, to say the least. I can easily say that I never had anything like it until my wife made some.
It does come out a bit sweet when my wife uses the pomegranite syrup. Chopping up the walnuts is a pain if you don’t have something that will grind them into almost a powder.

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:32, topic:36387”]
Glad you liked it. It is unique, to say the least. I can easily say that I never had anything like it until my wife made some.
It does come out a bit sweet when my wife uses the pomegranite syrup. Chopping up the walnuts is a pain if you don’t have something that will grind them into almost a powder.
[/quote]I used my food processor. Worked great. I am making it again, soon. I want my son’s family to try this. Thanks again, CL.

Cool! I also never realized how much oil is inWalnuts until I helped my wife chop them up. It can be seen in the sauce.

Texas Potato Salad

5 lbs of potatoes
1 medium jar Sour Pickles (drained)
1 medium jar Sweet Pickles (drained)
2 medium SWEET onions
1.5 lbs bacon fried crisp
3 medium sized Jalapeño’s +/- to taste
1 bunch Cilantro
Kraft Miracle Whip*
French’s Yellow Mustard
Coarse ground black pepper to taste
Sea salt to taste

Boil potatoes then chop into 3/4 in cubes. Chop pickles, onions, cilantro and Jalapeño into 1/4 in cubes. Mix Kraft MW + French’s to taste.

Fry bacon till crisp and chop into small pieces.

Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl except the potatoes, after the other ingredients are well mixed than add the potatoes to covered with the Kraft/French’s to meet your desired wet/dry tastes. Mix KM and Mustard about 1/2 - 1/2 or less Mustard to taste

This makes a meal for the whole family. The pickles turn into ‘bursts’ of flavor in sweet and sour, bacon adds the smokey, meaty flavor everyone loves. I also eat this on a sandwich.

You can use Mayonnaise BUT CAUTION Mayo does not travel or keep well.

[quote=“17Oaks, post:35, topic:36387”]
Texas Potato Salad

5 lbs of potatoes
1 medium jar Sour Pickles (drained)
1 medium jar Sweet Pickles (drained)
2 medium SWEET onions
1.5 lbs bacon fried crisp
3 medium sized Jalapeño’s +/- to taste
1 bunch Cilantro
Kraft Miracle Whip*
French’s Yellow Mustard
Coarse ground black pepper to taste
Sea salt to taste

Boil potatoes then chop into 3/4 in cubes. Chop pickles, onions, cilantro and Jalapeño into 1/4 in cubes. Mix Kraft MW + French’s to taste.

Fry bacon till crisp and chop into small pieces.

Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl except the potatoes, after the other ingredients are well mixed than add the potatoes to covered with the Kraft/French’s to meet your desired wet/dry tastes. Mix KM and Mustard about 1/2 - 1/2 or less Mustard to taste

This makes a meal for the whole family. The pickles turn into ‘bursts’ of flavor in sweet and sour, bacon adds the smokey, meaty flavor everyone loves. I also eat this on a sandwich.

You can use Mayonnaise BUT CAUTION Mayo does not travel or keep well.
[/quote]Real, real close to my favorite potato salad recipe.
However, I cut the potatoes first, and then boil them. The reason being, after the starches in the potato releases, they tend to “mash”, when cutting. I also use Mayo.

I meant to add that I cut the taters in quarters then cut them a bit smaller for the salad. Seems like if you cut them too small like you said they mash on you…

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1747[/ATTACH]

Cannot believe I forgot this:

Texas Turkey Gravy

1 Pint Chicken Livers
1 Pint or package of Chicken Gizzards, cut in half
1/4 bottle rubbed Sage
1 Package Chicken Necks
1 Sweet onion chopped
Salt Pepper to taste
1/2 finely chopped jalapeño pepper more or less, you are looking for the Jalapeño ‘bite’ just a little to give the gravy some life of its own. If you want more add more but its really just a flavor enhancer and should be mild enough that ALL adults enjoy

Med large pot filled about 3/4 full of water, you can add some Red wine if you have any, about a 1/2 bottle or less

Put all in the pot, bring to boil, then reduce heat till it simmers/low boil with lid on. About 3 hours, remove lid and cook at simmer an additional 1 hr.

You can add your own Turkey drippings or buy them but you will need about 32 oz already made into a thick gravy. Heat, and while heating using a straining spoon or ladle with slots, remove livers, gizzards and chicken necks, but leave the bits and pieces.

Combine the qt of Turkey gravy and what you have just made, bring to a low boil and cook down to reach the thickness of gravy you want…or add a thickening agent such as Arrow root, flour etc.

Depending upon how thick you like…for me I like it thin enough to easily pour but not so thick it runs all over the plate and gets into your fruit cocktail, some will want it thick in which case I suggest you do not cook down that far but add a thickener instead.

This makes a concentrated gravy that you combine with more bland or neural gravy…I use “Harry’s” Turkey Gravy from Costco, which is quite good for most but us boys and girls from the S like a bit more to our food.

Texas WHOLE Cranberry Sauce

Bag of WHOLE Cranberries

It calls for 1 cup of water per 3 cups of Crans

It also calls for 1 cup of Sugar for 3 cups of Crans

I use NO water, neither should you

I use Amaretto and Orange Liquor and fresh (if you can get it or canned if not) Orange juice I use 1/2 OJ to 1/4/1/4 or 1/2 OJ and balance out the other two to your taste

NOTE: They are all sweet. I add a jar of Orange Marmalade with peel and then add in light brown sugar to taste as its cooking. You can also add maple syrup or some molasses or honey.

Bring the mixture to a boil, add crans and watch them pop but be careful as they will pop on you and stove top…after than have mostly popped then taste and add more sweetener to taste…I like the slight bitter of crans. Let slow boil about 10 min (UNCOVERED)

Add one 1/2 cup of pecan pieces

Remove from stove top, set out side over night and it will jell up…Enjoy

After making it with the whole crans you will never go back to the jelly crap

Tiny: I’ve heard of oyster stuffing, but never had it. My girlfriend from down south (southern Illinois…if that can be considered “down south”!) made it every Thanksgiving. I’ve never tried it, though. I love oysters and clams. Those are the only shellfish I will eat. I only like the fake crab stuff. I will try this, but not this Thanksgiving as I am going somewhere else for dinner.