Home and Garden

Well, it’s summer though, why waste summer on pulling weeds?:no:

And yes it is purple-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/jmack242/guestbath1.jpg

Very pretty, and I am not really a purple kind of person…more blue, and pink.

Tyler HGTV Dream Homes Becoming Nightmares For Winner

Owner Owes $631,000 In Taxes

**TYLER, Texas – **Don Cruz moved from suburban Chicago to East Texas thinking he’d be living in a dream – a $1.5 million lakefront sanctuary he won in a Home and Garden Television “Dream Home” sweepstakes.

Cruz, 40, moved his family into the 5,000-square-foot Lake Tyler residence last month with the hope that he could raise the money by renting out parts of the property, opening a bed and breakfast, and charging for public tours.

But a city ordinance prohibiting commercial use of the land – and the Tyler City Council’s unanimous decision Wednesday not to change that ordinance – have foiled his plans.

full story

It’s terrible when dreams become nightmares…thanks to government

That has happened to every “winner” Of course though I guess they still enjoy the little bit of money the get when they sell their winnings far bellow market value. Check out the site. Look at what every “winner” has had to do with their “winnings” NOt one person has been able to keep their “dream house”. That’s just wrong, but I guess that’s how it goes.

It does stink! I guess you’ve got to be a millionare to live in a million dollar home no matter what!

Look at what happens to Lotto “winners” :dead: …

They’re lucky if they get to keep a third of their winnings, then “relatives” and “friends” generally rob em… and they usually end up broke again.

[QUOTE=angelmack]Tyler HGTV Dream Homes Becoming Nightmares For Winner

Owner Owes $631,000 In Taxes

**TYLER, Texas – **Don Cruz moved from suburban Chicago to East Texas thinking he’d be living in a dream – a $1.5 million lakefront sanctuary he won in a Home and Garden Television “Dream Home” sweepstakes.

Cruz, 40, moved his family into the 5,000-square-foot Lake Tyler residence last month with the hope that he could raise the money by renting out parts of the property, opening a bed and breakfast, and charging for public tours.

But a city ordinance prohibiting commercial use of the land – and the Tyler City Council’s unanimous decision Wednesday not to change that ordinance – have foiled his plans.

full story[/QUOTE]

I saw that coming when they showed those homes. We entered and dh and I both agreed that if we would have won, we would have put the thing on market right away and just pumped that money into our own home. We knew there would be no way to pay the taxes and likely the utilities. While I do think it stinks they are moving out, I wonder if many people really consider their tax bills on these behemoths?

We wonder the same thing about the extreme home makeover thing as well. The convert those homes to luxury accomadations and I bet the taxes go up 3 fold at least. These have mostly been families who can not even afford basic remodeling or repairs on their homes.

NOtice on abc’s extreme home makover though, they are constantly paying off mortgages, and giving, and raising money for the family (to help pay the taxes) to help offset the future costs that they will incure. THey seem to have their bases covered there. They do more than just “band aid” the problems. I think. Did you see the episode where they had Randy Travis performing at the family’s farm to raise money to give to them? THey do stuff like that all the time now. Hopefully those families actually make it…after all the dust settles. I know the mother, and her girls not far from my area have a bed and breakfast wing on their new house from extremem makeover, and the mortgage was paid off for them as well. I think they are doing well…last I heard.

That’s good to hear about those other ‘winners’ on abc…and with the HGTV home I thought they were giving away $250 Grand to pay the taxes…wonder what happened with that cash???

article reads: Owner Owes $631,000 In Taxes
----------------
Guess the 250,000.00 for taxes wasn’t quiet enough. ALthough, how does a home, and prizes worth a little more than a million become more than half million in taxes?!! I hope that is not what they owe for what they won?! I hope this includes some back tax mess they were in or something.

edit to add: I belive most in the past (all that I read about on hgtv site) owed around 250,000.00-yr in taxes for the property they won. I really wonder why so much for this last prize “winner”?

[QUOTE=smichellen]article reads: Owner Owes $631,000 In Taxes
----------------
Guess the 250,000.00 for taxes wasn’t quiet enough. ALthough, how does a home, and prizes worth a little more than a million become more than half million in taxes?!! I hope that is not what they owe for what they won?! I hope this includes some back tax mess they were in or something.

edit to add: I belive most in the past (all that I read about on hgtv site) owed around 250,000.00-yr in taxes for the property they won. I really wonder why so much for this last prize “winner”?[/QUOTE]

Good point! Those numbers don’t seem to add up!

Just watched the video on hgtv.com of them getting their home. Very sad to watch. He has a cane to walk with. I wonder if there were some medical bills or something. The way the patio is set up with umbrellas and such, it looks like a resort. Strange story.

Good!!! I am so glad to hear that because it defeats the purpose to build such an extravagant home that the people living there lose their original home. I was really concerned for a family in Alabama I think recentlyl who basically had a shack made over into a beautiful home. I was so worried that thing would price them off of the beautiful piece of land that was thiers underneath that beautiful house. It was the type of place that I suspect had been in their familly one way or the other for generations.

[QUOTE=smichellen]article reads: Owner Owes $631,000 In Taxes
----------------

edit to add: I belive most in the past (all that I read about on hgtv site) owed around 250,000.00-yr in taxes for the property they won. I really wonder why so much for this last prize “winner”?[/QUOTE]

Well I believe prizes are taxed at nearly 50% their value. Apparently they get a form 1099-misc(miscellaneous income) and 1.1 mill is going to put you into a totally different tax bracket and I bet they have no deductions against that amount like the wealthy would. That income right there would already be at 35% taxation–on that 1.5 mil that is 525k–the other 100k must be some other miscellaneous service or something that came with the house–another 300k or so in services won with the house? Or travel? or something.

The family in our area on extremem makeover home edition was a widowed mother of two (or three?) teenage girls. Their house burned down, and they were living in a little shed. Not good with the climate around here of wet all the time. Something went wrong with the insurance can’t remember what, but they were unable to rebuild themselves.
The show rebuilt the house from scratch for them. Including a Bed & breakfast wing. Centex (building company) donated their services (100% I think) along with other local companies. And local families, and businesses also donated money to pay of bills etc…and the show I believe paid off the mortgage, and gave a huge check towards the girls college fund. That’s what makes that show incredible. They don’t just touch a life, and run. They pull entire communities together. And, for any family they help who is willing to also help themselves? Well, they will succeed longterm. Not just “until next week”.

Extreme Home Makeover beats the taxes by “renting” your property… :geek:

Supposedly this is a loophole that allows them to make substantial improvements without the homeowner being kicked in teeth for 'em :grin:

what an interesting little topic. We just bought a house on 6 acres and we’re redoing a lot of it to suit ourselves. My husband and i have laid a patio at our last house which we are renting out at this time but i wasn’t happy with it. We dug out and put down a sand base. I don’t know if i’d do that again. any suggestions?

He also built a fantastic deck as a last resort. By that i mean, the guy came, set up his work area and we never saw him again. well, he kept saying he’d be back and gave us a time and we waited and the third time he didn’t show my husband said, I’ll do it myself. The next door neighbor and his sons decided to help him and he paid them for their help. It was a great deck. I love it. big wide steps, rails, lights under them, a gazebo-like extension on the side…i miss it.

The new house has lots of perenials. I don’t know if i like them and they definitely need cutting back. Is NOW the time?? Any of you perennial lovers and growers??

Yeah, this is the time to cut back perennials. But if you want fewer of them, you’ll need to dig them up. I envy you; anything I grow has to be in “protective custody.” Too many deer around here. They might as well be goats, they eat everything.

I think there are threads elsewhere in this forum about building decks and/or patios.