House votes to block Syrian refugees despite White House veto threat

Tapping heightened safety concerns after the Paris terror attacks, HouseRepublicans – joined overwhelmingly by Democrats – approved legislation Thursday effectively halting the resettlement of refugees from Syria and Iraq to the U.S.
But, facing a veto threat from the White House, Republican leaders in Congress are now considering including the restrictions as part of a must-pass spending bill to keep the federal government running past Dec. 11, raising the specter of another government shutdown.
The House bill would require the leaders of the nation’s security apparatus – the heads of the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI and the Director of National Intelligence – to certify that refugees who are admitted pose no security threat.
The White House said the House bill creates “unnecessary and impractical requirements,” noting the current screening process takes up to 24 months. Critics say it would essentially shut down the program.

The House approved the measure 289-137 on Thursday, as several dozen Democrats joined Republicans,** crossing the threshold needed to overcome a presidential veto**. The outcome in the Senate remains uncertain.

House votes to block Syrian refugees despite White House veto threat - LA Times

I understand the arguments of the conservatives that it does not go far enough but for now it woud halt the program and it’s a major rebuke to Obama.

What gives you the idea that this doesn’t go ‘far enough for Conservatives’?

That they’re actually going forward with a bill that Obama has promised to veto surprises me, as it’s been their excuse not to in the past, but I’m glad they are.

Just what isn’t ‘conservative’ about the bill?

Argghh! Forgot the link and added it. Here’s another quote from it

Conservative groups, including Heritage Action, said the measure did not go far enough and top GOP senators, including presidential candidates Rand Paul and Ted Cruz, proposed tougher measures. Cruz had previously called for only permitting Christian refugees from Syria into the country, but such a condition is not part of the House bill.

Willingness to deport after they are foisted on states that the governors refused them is next step

And Harry gotta-love-him Reid promises that it’s dead in the Senate…

:yeahthat:

It is meaningless to argue if it is a good bill or a bad bill, it’s just another ain’t-gonna-happen bill paraded about by the GOP “leadership” in an attempt to keep their base of voters on the reservation.

What should they do instead?

I don’t know about this case, but instead of just dog-and-pony shows, they could actually push issues where they have a fighting chance of winning; which they’ve done a good job of avoiding.

But this is what they are doing. They have enough Democrats on board in the house to make it veto-proof.

That is only because EVERY House seat is up for re-election next year. It will never see a vote in the Senate.

You said “it’s just another ain’t-gonna-happen bill” what should they be doing then? Nothing at all?

Skeptic, I can’t come up with a better reply than FC’s.

What have they done:

Amnesty, lies.
Cromnibus, lies, deceit and capitulation.
Budget, utter surrender.
Planned Parenthood, failure to arouse public opinion, then surrender.
The list is endless.

What should we do? Elect a president who will unleash the FBI, IRS and NSA on Mitch McConnell and all the other bipartisan beltway crapweasels ***

*** credit to Michelle Malkin for this utterly perfect phrase.

[quote=“old_dog, post:12, topic:47754”]
Skeptic, I can’t come up with a better reply than FC’s. What have they done:Amnesty, lies.Cromnibus, lies, deceit and capitulation.Budget, utter surrender.Planned Parenthood, failure to arouse public opinion, then surrender.The list is endless.What should we do? Elect a president who will unleash the FBI, IRS and NSA on Mitch McConnell and all the other bipartisan beltway crapweasels ****** credit to Michelle Malkin for this utterly perfect phrase.
[/quote]His point was answered. They are attempting to put together a veto-proof answer in both the house and senate. I don’t know what else they can do.

A veto-proof answer? It isn’t even going to come up for a vote in the Senate!

[quote=“old_dog, post:14, topic:47754”]
[/quote]So what should they do now?

[quote=“old_dog, post:14, topic:47754”]
[/quote]You guys amaze me…if they do not do something futile you blast them for that…if they do …same thing…they are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

Let’s see, impeachment is off the table, actually using the power of the purse is off the table. What’s left for the GOP “leadership” to do? As far as I am concerned they can bend over and kiss their rear end goodbye. What infuriates me more than their refusal to take action is the continual rolling bait and switch lies. 2010: the democrats have the House, Senate and Presidency we are helpless; victory in the House. 2014: sorry we haven’t done anything but just give us the Senate then we will stop this insanity and turn things around; another victory, more capitulations. Really sorry we haven’t done anything just give us the Presidency (but not Cruz or Trump) in 2016. In the unlikely event they succeed in putting some cookie-cutter establishment crony in the WH get ready for the next excuse: we need a Senate supermajority in 2018 and then we will fix everything. How stupid do they think we are?

Not true; the “sequester” managed to hold the growth of spending. We got more “keep status quo” then shrinkage, but that’s progress all the same.

Equally, we managed to do things around the edges, like cut off the Ex-Im bank, and put an end to certain pork barreling tactics that had allowed for the “Bridge to nowhere”.

“Progress?” Has the debt been cut or even stopped from growing?

Yes, shrinking the deficit, cutting corporate welfare, and banning earmarking. This is all progress.

I’m not saying “it’s enough”, but it’s clear they haven’t been idle on this front either.