How Can I Please God?

**Deuteronomy 10:12-13 **
*[SUP]12 [/SUP]“And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, [SUP]13 [/SUP]and to keep the commandments and statutes of the Lord, which I am commanding you today for your good? *

The rhetorical question led into Moses’ statement of five basic requirements that God expected of His people (Micah 6:6-8).

1. To fear the Lord your God. To hold God in awe and submit to Him.
  2. To walk in all His ways. To conduct life in accordance with the will of God.
  3. To love Him. To choose to set one’s affections on the Lord and on Him alone.
  4. To serve the Lord your God. To have the worship of the Lord as the central focus of life.
  5. To keep the commandments of the Lord. To obey the requirements the Lord had imposed.

Fearing God is essential to pleasing God. Fear involves a sense of terror and an attitude of awe. Following God is evidence of desire to please God. Loving God is the motivation to please God. There is an emotional component to love. There is a volitional component to love. Serving God is eagerly pleasing God. This involves serving with the heart and serving with the soul. Obeying God is actively pleasing God.

The “fear” issue is one which is widely used by nonbelievers to excuse themselves for not believing. The “awe” connotation is one that could stand to be talked about more. I don’t know if “terror” per se is accurate. We should “fear” like the child who contemplates putting his hand in the cookie jar when not permitted.

The scripture you cited reminds me of another that Casting Crowns adapted in their song Courageous, and which I used in a Star Trek (TNG era) fan fiction novel I finished earlier this year: