How do you rank offenses against god?

So I’ll come right out with it…I’ve never seen anything that would convince me that a god exists. That’s not the same as saying that I know there is no god, but just that nothing has compelled me to believe that one or more exists…Feel free to label me attack the label if you must.

Now, My question is a sincere one, I just want to know the opinions of the Christians here if all offenses against god (according to the Bible) are equal or if some are worse than others.

Now it would seem to me that rape, murder, torture (to name just a few) would be really bad, while other things like stealing wouldn’t carry quite the same weight. I mean a person who gains pleasure from inflicting suffering on his fellow humans imo, is the worst kind of person I can imagine. Now I’m familar with the term mortal sin, but I’m not certain how that term is applied.

Having said that, From what I learned in my time practicing Christianity and my contact with people who I believe are genuine Christians, failure to repent and accept Christ, regardless of your sins comes with equal punishment, am I correct? So I guess the failure to sincerely accept Christ and all of the things that go with it, would be #1.

Does that mean that if lead your life as a hedonist who takes anything and everything they want to please themselves (stealing, raper, murder, torture, ect) is equal in the eyes of god as a person who lives a reasonably decent life as they have both committed the worst sin of all, failure to accept Christ?

What about a true Christian. Do they judge all non Christians the same? Take myself as an example, I don’t accept Christ. Are my sins equal in your eyes? If I am a moral person (outside of my failure to accept Christ, if you think that is immoral) am I the same as the rapist? If I commit adultery where does that rank against being gay or someone who intentionally blasphemes?

Please don’t take this thread as a condemnation of religion, but as a genuine attempt to understand the position of those who are.

Now if you have a question for me as a non-believer what I believe, if the question is given in the respectful tones that I’ve asked my question, I would be happy to answer.

-Cheers

EDIT: If I’ve violated the rules in this section then I didn’t understand what I read in the rules section. Please feel free to delete this post and understand I will take that as a violation and a warning.

Yep just trolling

All offenses are equal to God and carry equal consequences, all offenses do not however carry equal consequences in the earthly/temporal realm that we are living in now.

The reason is because the consequence of an offense to God is to die to God, that consequence is already applied to all of humanity. That means that our earthly “consequences” are only designed to make this temporal realm more efficient, safe and Just than it would be with man in his natural fallen state without restraint.

because humans are not capable of embracing any of the absolute attributes of God including “Absolute Justice”, this condition will endure for as long as man is fallen and managing his own affairs.

I know, but sometimes I respond for posterity’s sake anyway.

Google search engines find all these threads, I hate letting a bunch of false premises appear to be standing on a legitimate foundation.

I noticed it did not take long to go from teaching us that obama’s polices are good to attacking religion which is next in the bag of tricks of leftest.

You yourself have been self sufficient for years and run a business and some liberal tells us how we need to embrace deficit spending which produces even more debt with no actual reduction in debt load because new revenues go to pay for more government excesses. It looks like an econ student. I remember when I had econ back years ago in college but I was not stupid enough to think that it reflected reality. This administration cooks the books every chance it gets. One favorite trick is to take some thing off budget to get results they want. We are being flooded with illegals as well as obama wanting an invasion of terrorists and our unemployment is 5%, not a chance.

RET pretty much covered it, although I believe that two or three sins have been identified as unforgivable, although there’s some gray area in the scriptures about them. In the case of blaspheming the Holy Spirit and saying “thou fool,” there is a place in each case where Jesus indicated that they won’t be forgiven, and other places where He indicated that one was rather in danger of damnation (I try not to assume that it’s the latter). The other is suicide. I’m guessing there are some degree of contextual issues here. Don’t take this as gospel, but my best guess is that blaspheming the Holy Spirit is something you have to do in the deepest part of your heart. Less sure about “thou fool”. I’m also guessing that in the case of suicide, God makes allowance for the state of a person’s mind. But I cannot overstate it: Don’t take my guesses as gospel.

Also, in the case of suicide, I believe there is the possibility of a person repenting before he dies, but after it is too late to change the course of his action.

It is a definite offense to ***G***od to disrespect His Name.

Matthew 12:31-32 New International Version (NIV)

[SUP]31 [/SUP]And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

[SUP]32 [/SUP]Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

I think that when you learn the truth of God’s word and then you turn away and preach against what you know to be the truth … that is the unforgivable sin.

My belief on this subject is bible based.

The apostle Paul was formerly a blasphemer but said:

[SUP]13 [/SUP]Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.
1 Timothy 1:13

To sin against the holy spirit is to oppose it *willfully.

*It involves a wicked heart condition that reaches the point of no return.

Paul was evidently referring to this kind of sin when he wrote:

It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age and who have fallen[SUP][a][/SUP] away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Hebrews 6:4-6

The apostle also said: “If we practice sin *willfully *after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left.”
Hebrews 10:26.

Does that disrespect come in the form of something like “*** Dammit!” Or is it when someone misleads his fellow man by claiming that “god told me that I should build a (multi million dollar) mansion on the ocean where I can study…blah…blah…blah”. (Just as an example)

If you think they both are, in your opinion, do you think one worse than the other in gods eyes?

When the third one of the Ten Commandments says not to take God’s name in vain or in a worthless way, it means much more than not using his name in profanity. **

It means that those who agree to be God’s people bear his name and must obey the laws and commands and principles his name stands for**; otherwise they are taking his name in a worthless way and will not go unpunished.

“Do not use my name for evil purposes…” (Good News Translation)

“Never use the name of the LORD your God carelessly…” (God’s Word Translation)

"“You are not to use lightly the name…” (Complete Jewish Bible)

“You are not to make use of the name…for an evil purpose…” (Bible in Basic English)

“You must not take up the name of Jehovah your God in a worthless way…" (NWT)

Do you think that Creflo Dollar was violating these ideas when he appealed to parishioners to help him purchase a $65 million dollar luxury jet?

He said " “If I want to believe God for a $65 million plane, you cannot stop me. You cannot stop me from dreaming. I’m gonna dream until Jesus comes.”

Now to be honest, I can’t say, I really know exactly what that means, but what do you think?

I have no use for anyone who uses God to enrich themselves.

Why would any Christian living in a Nation where Bibles are readily available everywhere and translated into the common language care what “Creflo Dollar” (whoever that is) says about anything?

Atheists do not have the market cornered on deception and stupidity, there is plenty of that to go around in religious circles as well.

I never insinuated that anyone cared what CD thinks. Where did I say that? I simply asked if his actions could be construed as taking gods name falsely, in vein, for evil purposes (however you’d like to put it).

You are sooo on the defensive you assume that I’m trying to connect his behavior with the Christians here? It was a simply question, you falsely assume my intentions, again.

Now I forgive you all. I understand. there are many a militant liberal I’m sure that’s shown up here in these forums to try to slap the “dumb hicks” around than tell them how the world really works. That’s not why I’m here, nor do I believe that you, or anyone else here is a “dumb hick”. We’ve had a fervent debate on economics and we disagree to the core, but that’s ok, isn’t it? I’m sure your a good person and believe what you speak, even if I think it’s wrong. Do I not deserve the same respect? Isn’t that what democracy is all about? Does it bother you to have your ideas questioned, or in this thread, simply inquiring?

-Cheers

I haven’t been a member here for long but I have been on this earth long enough to sense when something just doesn’t pass the smell test.

Your words tend to reek of sarcasms?

It seems that your questions were answered already but you continue to try to draw out some kind of response as one would do in a gaming sort of way?

If I am wrong, I apologize but how much longer can this thread go on without everyone believing that you are just looking for a sparing partner?

Go back and read again. Beyond the OP, I’ve had a total of two posts dealing with responses to the OP, nether of which was sarcastic, both asking questions or clarifying responses.

Wow, ya’ll are a sensitive bunch.

Why else would a declared non believer start a thread in the Faith section about offending God and then interject the imbecilic rantings of a clear “prosperity gospel” preacher as a question if not to bait Christians into defending things that they do not believe and that have no part in mainstream Christianity?

I don’t believe in vampires, I know that others do believe in vampires but the proof that I do not believe in vampires is that I NEVER go to vampire discussion boards to discuss vampires.

You know, because I don’t believe that they exist.

And this is not me being “defensive”, you have offered nothing worthy to defend against; this is just me making sure that your declared fallacies are not left to stand and give the impression that the “board in general” accepted your premises.

Actually, Jesus did mention a difference between blaspheming the Holy Spirit and blaspheming the Son. I’m not aware of any reference to Paul doing the former.

Both are equally sinful in ***G***od’s eyes. And you seemed to have missed the point of capitalizing God. If you respected Him, you would not ignore that.