How I Got The Assurance Of My Salvation (and how you can too)

I thought I’d share the following, its about how I got the assurance of my salvation a couple of days after I became a Christian. Short version: I based it upon the fact that God does not tell lies. Here is the long version:

The Bible says, [COLOR="#0000FF"]“Whosoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved”,[/COLOR] and I sincerely did that, I prayed the sinner’s prayer out of a sincere heart, but as we all know Satan is always around to try and steal our faith, and our fallen human nature, full of doubt and fears, helps him do that.

A significient number of Christians struggle with getting the “assurance of their salvation”, they will tell you “I think I’m saved” or “I hope I am saved” but will not tell you, “I know for an absolute fact I am saved.”

There is such a thing as a Christian “getting the assurance of their salvation” so that they can KNOW for an absolute fact … ABSOLUTE FACT … that they are saved and will stay saved forever. [COLOR="#0000FF"](“My sheep … I give them eternal life and they shall never perish”__Jesus)[/COLOR]

[SIZE=3][COLOR="#B22222"] Here Is How I Got The Assurance Of My Salvation:[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

I visited a church revival service at age 21 in my home town, and I heard the gospel message. It stuck in my mind and I began to think about what I had heard as I was traveling alone on a bus, back to my job in a large city, and it was late at night, and suddenly out of a sincere heart, I prayed “the sinner’s prayer.”

In just a few hours after I prayed that prayer, “God be merciful to me a sinner, I repent of my sins, and I trust the Lord Jesus as my Savior”, I knew for a FACT that SOMETHING WONDERFUL HAD HAPPENED TO ME, I did not understand what it was at the time, but I knew it was real, and I knew I did not want to ever lose it.

All that day and the next day I was scared to death that I would lose it. I was 21 years old and in a large city and I had just become a Christian and I had no idea what had actually happened to me, and I was absolutely scared to death that I would lose whatever it was that had taken place within my heart and mind.

My family was several states away, and I had no Christian friends in that large city, and so I decided to find somebody to talk to about what had happened to me when I got back to my job in that afore mentioned large city.

I remembered seeing a Christian Fellowship Hall in that city, and so I caught a local bus over to where it was, and went inside. They had sofas and coffee tables, and a coffee machine and doughnuts, and they also had Christian counselors that would talk to you about your problems.

I got myself a cup of coffee and struck up a conversation with one of the Christian counselors, and he asked me if I was a Christian. I told him I thought I was, but I was not exactly sure, and then I explained about the prayer I had prayed. (I was hoping for dear life that he could say something to assure me that I would not ever lose “whatever it was” that had taken place within me.)

[SIZE=3] [COLOR="#B22222"]Here Comes A Huge-Enormous Life Changing Turn Around:[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

At this point he did something for me that was the most important thing any human man has ever done for me.

What he did for me changed my life forever, and what he did was to introduce me to the Bible the Word of God as [U]the one and only source[/U] that I should read and study to get all the answers I would ever need for my spiritual life.

(I thank the good Lord that this Christian man nailed this principle down in my mind when I was a young scared-to-death freshly “born again” baby Christian, and that principle has been with me ever since.)

And he started off introducing me to this principle by showing me how to get the “assurance of my salvation” and he did not use any soft milksop delicate methods either.

He began by asking me some direct questions. He opened his Bible and read a passage in John’s gospel to me:

[COLOR="#0000FF"]16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned [/COLOR]

He handed me his Bible and said “Look at this chapter and tell me who it was that said what I just read to you.”

So I did, and I told him that Jesus was the one that said that.

He asked me point blank, "Do you believe that the Lord Jesus died for your sins and with that in mind, do you believe in him? And I said yes I do believe that Jesus died for my sins and I do believe in Him.

He then asked me if I knew for a fact I was saved and would not be condemned and had eternal life right now?

I didn’t answer (because I hated to tell him that I was not certain about that)

But he wouldn’t let off the hook.

He read that verse to me again:

[COLOR="#0000FF"]16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned [/COLOR]

He then repeated the question:

He asked me again if I knew for a fact I was saved and would not be condemned and had eternal life right now?

I sheepishly replied that I didn’t know for certain.

[SIZE=4] [COLOR="#B22222"]He then said something to me that rocked my soul forever.[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

He smiled and asked me how I felt about calling the Lord Jesus a liar?

I was startled and I replied “I’m not calling Jesus a liar.”

You most certainly are, he said, and he read that verse to me again:

He then turned over to I John 1:9-10 thur 2:2 and read that to me:

[COLOR="#0000FF"][B]If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.[/B] If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.[/COLOR]

He then asked me if I had confessed my sins to the Lord and asked forgiveness?

I said, Yes I have, which was the truth.

He then asked me, "So then you know for a fact that you have been forgiven and that you have been purified from all unrighteousness?

I sheepishly replied that I didn’t know for certain.

He then said to me, "Well you have already called God’s Son Jesus a liar, so its understandable that you would call God a liar also.

The man continued with another verse in I John 5:13

[COLOR="#0000FF"]“I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God [B]so that you may know that you have eternal life.”[/B][/COLOR]

The man then asked me, "If I had believed in the name of the Son of God and did I know that I had eternal life or did I want to call God a liar again?

[SIZE=3] [COLOR="#B22222"]And thats when the light came on in my soul!!![/COLOR] [/SIZE] :smile:

From that moment on (and that was decades and decades ago) I have never for one second doubted the “assurance of my salvation.”

Why not?

Quite frankly, I am not prepared to call Jesus a liar.

Quite frankly, I am not prepared to call God a liar.

God does not lie. Jesus does not lie. They always tell the truth, and here is what they have said regarding the assurance of salvation:

[COLOR="#0000FF"] For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not
send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
Whoever believes in him is not condemned [/COLOR]

[COLOR="#0000FF"][B]If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us
our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.[/B] If we claim we have not sinned,
we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.My dear children, I write this
to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with
the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins,
and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#0000FF"]“I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son
of God [B]so that you may know that you have eternal life.”[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#0000FF"](“My sheep … I give them eternal life and they shall never perish”__Jesus)[/COLOR]

The Sovereign God and Jesus either spoke the truth up there, or They did NOT speak the truth. They spoke the truth. And because They spoke the truth, you can KNOW for an ABSOLUTE FACT that you are saved if you have confessed your sins and have believed on the Lord Jesus as your Savior. [COLOR="#0000FF"]“I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God [B]so that you may know that you have eternal life.”[/B][/COLOR] (I John 5:13)

See comment block for wrap-up thoughts.
(I ran over the 10,000 character limit and had to use the comment block for the final wrap-up.

♫♫

`

`
Final wrap-up comment:

The verses referenced up there in blue ink are 100% clear, there is no possible way to wiggle out of what those verses say. Therefore, you must make a decesion: Did or did not God and the Lord Jesus tell the truth? If they did tell the truth, then you can know for an absolute fact that you are saved if you have done what They said you had to do in order to be saved.

It may srike your mind as odd to base the assurance of one’s slavation on the honesty and integrity of God and His Son the Lord Jesus, but the reality is, its odd NOT to do that. The assurance of your salvation cannot rest upon you and your words, and cannot rest upon what other people say, and the only other intelligent Persons beside you and other people, are the Sovereign God and His Son the Lord Jesus. You only have those 3 choices up there. I chose the Sovereign God and the Lord Jesus, and I have never had a moments doubt with regard to the assurance of my salvation.

“Have faith in God.”__Jesus (Mark 11:22)