How libertarian are you?

Libertarian Purity Test

I got a 78.

Libertarian Purity Test

Are you shocked that I have a 25???

Some of the questions were weird though, because some weren’t Yes or No questions. I hate these types of tests anyway.

I got a 16

“16-30 points: You are a soft-core libertarian. With effort, you may harden and become pure.”

[quote=“jjf3rd77, post:2, topic:37980”]
Are you shocked that I have a 25???

Some of the questions were weird though, because some weren’t Yes or No questions. I hate these types of tests anyway.
[/quote]The questions weren’t great, that is true.

I guess I was looking over your shoulder lol 78

[quote=“tperkins, post:5, topic:37980”]
I guess I was looking over your shoulder lol 78
[/quote]I think we do think alike on a lot of things.

14 points

1. Though not to be construed as blanket agreement with jjf3rd77.

29…thought I would be a bit higher based on my social views…but thankfully no where near a 78!
Wonder how Rand would score!..I’m guessing below me…LOL

I scored 40: “31-50 points: Your libertarian credentials are obvious. Doubtlessly you will become more extreme as time goes on.

Your score is…

Surrre, the Mod playing middle of the road again lol

70 for me. Medium core Libertarian

106: You have entered the heady realm of hard-core libertarianism. Now doesn’t that make you feel worse that you didn’t get a perfect score?

This should become a site wide signature line :eusa_think:

[quote=“RET423, post:15, topic:37980”]
This should become a site wide signature line :eusa_think:
[/quote]:coffee_spray:

Guess there won’t be a similar comment for me. Only Bremen would score in three digits, and he’s probably at 160.

Well obviously it’s a libertarian test. That means only libertarian questions. We disagree with the libertarian philosophy 75% of the time. 25% of the time we agree with it though that 25% might be completely different questions.

88 “You are a medium-core libertarian, probably self-consciously so. Your friends probably encourage you to quit talking about your views so much.”

I am most certainly NOT a Libertarian regardless of where I stand on any of these poorly, over simplified questions.

Another test created to bring a specific result.

[quote=“RET423, post:18, topic:37980”]
88 “You are a medium-core libertarian, probably self-consciously so. Your friends probably encourage you to quit talking about your views so much.”

I am most certainly NOT a Libertarian regardless of where I stand on any of these poorly, over simplified questions.

Another test created to bring a specific result.
[/quote]I would never confuse you for a libertarian. You’re safe. But I would recognize that you agree with me on a significantly large number of issues. I would recognize that you agree with libertarian positions on a large number of issues. And it’s pretty clear to me that you’re also not really a big authoritarian either. Considering what those words mean, that they’re basically two ends of a spectrum, you definitely have libertarian tendencies. Those poorly worded, over-simplified questions prove it. You favor smaller government and less government involvement in our lives at some level. I’m sorry though. I don’t mean to insult you.

I don’t think the test is actually that bad. It’s more of a spectrum test rather than a test for who should call himself a libertarian or be a card-carrying member of the Libertarian Party. Zero on the test is the current state of regulation of liberty while 160 is the complete absence of regulation, the anarcho-capitalist position. It’s a state-no state spectrum. I think there’s a lot of good reasons not to embrace anarcho-capitalism, and yet I continue to identify as a libertarian. Obviously the quip at the end of the description is tongue in cheek (No I don’t wish I’d scored higher – I’m exactly where I want to be on the issues listed), and the test is not scientific.

PS – I find it interesting that you score higher than some folks who profess to be libertarian or near-libertarian.

PPS – Also concerning the quality of the questions, libertarians arrive at their libertarianism from a number of directions, a variety of reasons. But in the end, their prescriptions on public policy are similar. Would you cut the federal government down by 50 percent? I would. Jjf wouldn’t. Forgetting labels, what does that say about the similarity of our opinions if not the reason we reach them?

[quote=“jjf3rd77, post:17, topic:37980”]
Well obviously it’s a libertarian test. That means only libertarian questions. We disagree with the libertarian philosophy 75% of the time. 25% of the time we agree with it though that 25% might be completely different questions.
[/quote]Do you support abortion?

Obviously an abortion test.

Do you support smaller government?

Obviously a conservative test.

They’re just questions. Your answers elaborate what you believe. A 25 doesn’t mean you agree with libertarians 25 percent of the time. It’s a 160-point test, where 160 is anarcho-capitalism. I’m not 106 percent anarcho. I’m not anarcho at all. I have good reasons for stopping where I do. Nor am I 106 percent libertarian. You are not 25 percent libertarian. All it shows is that you agree with certain libertarian ideas, and a lot of conservatives, Republicans, Democrats and people in general do agree with certain libertarian ideas. You could easily have answered those questions and gotten a zero, which would likely show that you do not hold anything at all in common with libertarians – although it’s obviously not exhaustive nor scientific. It’s a numerical way to demonstrate overall agreement and disagreement between two points, not a justification showing nuances in the justification or specific mechanisms to implement those ideas.

It shows that I am at point 106 on a spectrum between the existing state and anarchy. It shows that I would more extremely cut government out of our lives than you would given the chance.