How quickly we forget

[LEFT]“Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren,” Obama said in 2006. “America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.”

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Goolsbee[/LEFT]

Gee, funny how it’s different now. One day they will learn that everything they have ever said is on the net somewhere.

You’d think I’d know that by now too, but I’m still surprised when I come across something I wrote at age eleven. XD I wouldn’t hold my breath…

We forget what we did, and what we promised, we forget quickly.

That is why I am very careful about what I “Promise”. I want promises to be rare enough that they are burned into my conscience when I make one.

I don’t necessarily want promises to be rare (mine or anyone else’s). I just want them to be sincere and not entered into lightly.

Do you remember what people did, particularly israelites, in the days of Abraham when they entered into covenants/deals. Something dramatic like a smack or blow of somekind. That might help with the memory.

Yeah, the Bible is why I became much more cautious about raising something to the level of a “promise”, God does not take covenants lightly and he expects us to keep them all regardless of of the changing winds.

My usual answer to my kids is “we will see” if I am pretty sure I will do what they are asking, my youngest always cheers because he knows that usually means “yes”. My daughter always asked “do you promise?” and I would say “nope, promises are for much more important matters”.

Marriage= Promise material
Whether we will go see Harry Potter on opening weekend= We will see material

I still view promises from a child’s perspective. As a child, when someone, especially your parents or an adult, promised you something, in your mind, it was etched into stone. When it didn’t occur, the level of disappointment was high and level of trust dropped. Therefore, I seldom ever promise anything because, there is always somethng out their that works against your ability to deliver on it.

Even though it is extremely rare, when I actually say, “I promise”, then it shall occur.

BINGO!

If I make a promise I do my best to follow through. To paraphrase it “My word is my bond”.

Yeah, it reminds me of that $100b budget cut. I guess that promise is out the door.

How quickly we forget that as much as the Republicans talk about slashing the budget, it never actually happens.

[quote=“tperkins2009, post:1, topic:28776”]
Gee, funny how it’s different now. One day they will learn that everything they have ever said is on the net somewhere.
[/quote]Since we know Obama has a way of scrubbing what he says on his government site it is good to know that what he actually has said as opposed to what he claims to have said.

This also works for any politician who tries to rewrite their history when it comes up election time. Unfortunately we have people who are so engrossed in doing things besides paying attention to what affects them so come election time they believe the sound and video bites from dishonest politicians.

Back, Rush, Hannity, Levin and the gang are keeping close tabs on what gets “washed” I’m sure. I’d love a peek at any one of their audio and video archives.

Well,you are starting to define yourself as a Democrat. You support Obamacare and disparage the Pubs after 2 weeks in office. When are you going to begin criticizing your buddies? I think maybe Sam had you pegged all along.
I tried hard to treat you as a Centrist, but you have just about exhausted the minute amount of patience I possess.
Obama and the Communist Senate will never do squat and won’t let the Pubbies work, either. Son, you are backing the wrong horse.

C-1 you like Politifact right ?

Well, here is a good link for Obama’s promises. PolitiFact | The Obameter: Campaign Promises that are Promise Broken

(TWO PAGES) :biggrin:

[quote=“Bucks, post:15, topic:28776”]
C-1 you like Politifact right ?

Well, here is a good link for Obama’s promises. PolitiFact | The Obameter: Campaign Promises that are Promise Broken

(TWO PAGES) :biggrin:

[/quote]Good catch

Kind of looks like they just gave up keeping track. The “Allow 5 days of public comment before signing bills” lie has not been updated since 5/26/09. Probably figured out it was pointless.
PolitiFact | The Obameter: Allow five days of public comment before signing bills - Obama promise No. 234:

[quote=“tperkins2009, post:17, topic:28776”]
Kind of looks like they just gave up keeping track. The “Allow 5 days of public comment before signing bills” lie has not been updated since 5/26/09. Probably figured out it was pointless.
PolitiFact | The Obameter: Allow five days of public comment before signing bills - Obama promise No. 234:
[/quote]From the link

We should also note that the White House doesn’t make it easy for people to find where to leave comments on pending legislation. The Web site does not have a tab for comments or pending legislation and, when we finally discovered the undated comment area for the credit card bill through a global search of the White House site, it wasn’t clear where it was located on the site or where people should go for future comments
.So in essence if people want to comment on impending bills their views will be ignored while saying the government “made” an effort to get opinions.

No arguement here. Obama has failed plenty.

Both sides fail on their promises. You’d think that the incoming Republicans would have KNOWN that they would be taking power 1/2 way through the fiscal year. If they can’t meet their goal because the fiscal year is half over already, do they not understand how to use a calendar?