How the Invention of the Alphabet Usurped Female Power in Society and ...

How the Invention of the Alphabet Usurped Female Power in Society and Sparked the Rise of Patriarchy in Human Culture
BY MARIA POPOVA

2014/03/17

[quote]Of all the sacred cows allowed to roam unimpeded in our culture, few are as revered as literacy. Its benefits have been so incontestable that in the five millennia since the advent of the written word numerous poets and writers have extolled its virtues. Few paused to consider its costs. . . . One pernicious effect of literacy has gone largely unnoticed: writing subliminally fosters a patriarchal outlook. Writing of any kind, but especially its alphabetic form, diminishes feminine values and with them, women’s power in the culture.

(Shlain) defines the feminine outlook as a “holistic, simultaneous, synthetic, and concrete view of the world” and the masculine as a “linear, sequential, reductionist” one characterized by abstract thinking, …

The invention of the alphabet, Shlain argues, is what tilted the balance of power toward the masculine — a shift that took place eons ago, but one that is also evidenced by isolated indigenous cultures of the present and recent past:[/quote]
OK, this is so loony - it seemed too “good” to be true - that I checked that Shlain’s book actually exists, and went from the webpage where I first heard of this lunacy to the source article quoted by Weasel Zippers. It’s real, a cognitively dissonant oxymoron - a written condemnation of writing - but real.

You can’t make this stuff up.

Right now, someone at the DNC is reading this and wondering what kind of govt program can they dream up to give women money to learn a new alphabet???

Sometimes I wonder if God just looks down at us shaking his head.

Like many other things the left says is putting minorities down, if the alphabet was meant to keep women submissive then it is doing a terrible job at it.

Okay. These Leftist women want to de-industrialize, de-literize the world? Take away prosperity and literacy…all that is left is violence, physical power and brutality. Whether primitive farming or hunting, women LOSE. Where knowledge counts for little and genteel social customs are gone, women are PREY.

That’s where they’re going with this.

These women must be autistic. It’s obvious they can’t relate to the real world.

There are no words, which I suppose is the author’s objective.

Careful with that. I’m no expert on autism, but “inability to relate to the real world” is at best, exaggeration.