How the Universe will End

There are three ways the universe is supposed to end. The good thing is that it won’t happen for 20 billion years or so! That I’m sure of…but the three theories are called The Big Crunch, The Big Rip, and the Big Freeze. The Big Rip is a theory based on the universes expansion. The rate of the universes expansion is constantly changing and at one point or another the acceleration becomes so fast that everything literally rips apart. The Big Crunch basically implies that the universe will eventually stop expanding and collapse into itself pulling everything into it until it becomes the biggest blackhole ever. And the Big Freeze which is also known as Heat Death, means that the universe will keep expanding and never stop and when it reaches it’s maximum value, heat in the solar system will be evenly distributed allowing no room for usable energy. Mechanical motion within the system will not be possible anymore. shudders good thing none of us will be alive when this happens.

I personally lean towards the big crunch theory (for no definable reason, since I have no definable expertise :wink: )

Lol it sounds reasonable. I’d say the big freeze because it’s possible everything will be so far apart and won’t get any heat thus freezing. Hmmm

I would say that the big freeze is the more reasonable course of the universe, just as a function of thermodynamics. I think that the universe, by expanding, is pursuing its natural course and gaining entropy. Thus, eventually, the universe will reach equilibrium, i.e. the “big freeze”.

This falls in with a personal scientific conspiracy theory I have harbored for a few years now and that is surprisingly being tentatively explored by some physicists at the moment.

It goes something like this: the universe is merely a vast disturbance in some kind of field or area that is at equilibrium. This disruption caused this field or area to lose entropy very rapidly, and become ordered. The universe reacted by following the second law of thermodynamics and gaining entropy as fast as possible. All our physical laws come from these efforts. The disturbance, as proposed by some physicists and my twelve year old self, would be the mathematical singularity at the core of a black hole. The fact that this is a singularity is correlated with the singularity most physicists believe was the beginning of the big bang. In my theory, the two are identical, with identical properties.

Then again, give this theory to any physicist and they will probably laugh in your face, but we can all dream, think, and imagine, especially when we are twelve.

Massive Spontaneous Existence Failure; that is all.

My money (figuratively speaking) is on biblical prophesy:

[QUOTE=65:17]For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=66:22]For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=II Peter 3:13]Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Revelation 21:1]And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.[/QUOTE]

3 Likes

Are you referring to the notion that when to many sentient beings exist in the Universe at a single point, the Universe will end?

All things are impermanent, all aspects of existence are unstable and non-eternal. Beings will become so weary and disgusted with the constituent things that they will seek emancipation from them more quickly. There will come a season, O monks when, after hundreds of thousands of years, rains will cease. All seedlings, all vegetation, all plants, grasses and trees will dry up and cease to be…There comes another season after a great lapse of time when a second sun will appear. Now all brooks and ponds will dry up, vanish, cease to be.
—Aňguttara-Nikăya, VII, 6.2 Pali Canon

Most believe this to describe the end of Earth. I do as well. Buddhism also foretells the end of our beliefs in this world. It is expected to happen sometime around 2300. At that point the Dharma will be forgotten by all and human depravity will be at its limit at which point the Last Buddha, Maitreya, will appear and bring back the teachings(Dharma) to the world and will rule over the earthly Ketumati Pure Land.

How the universe will end, not with a bang but a whimper. 'And God saw that Obama was in charge, and said, THAT’S IT _______________________pfff

4 Likes

It’s possible for it to disappear into nothing but that’s basically the Big Rip or the Big Crunch

Like the fleas on a dog, trying to assume what will kill the dog. Amazing.

Not ‘assume’ but imagine.

More like atoms on a blue whale the size of a galaxy…

The universe will end when and how God decides…and not one nanosecond before.

1 Like

Navel-gazing. Amusing to guess, but still navel-gazing. I won’t deny that I do it myself sometimes, but not very often. And I think CT has it right.

1 Like

Like the fleas on a dog, trying to assume what will kill the dog. Amazing.

Except that we are fleas that know the mathematics and the physical laws that govern the dog. We know how the dog lives, at least in some capacity, and therefore we can theorize about how the dog will cease to exist.

Admittedly our guesses in the forum are just guesses, but real physicists never “guess”. Instead they form hypotheses, test those hypotheses, and adopt the ones that stand up to rigorous mathematical and experimental challenges as accepted theories/postulates.

Well technically once the sun becomes a red giant, everything in the solar system disappears. The sun will become extremely large, explode, and then envelope everything in its path. It will basically destroy the solar system. The Milky Way is probably 1/1,000,000,000,000 of our universe so it won’t have that great of an effect on it. And then some billion years after that happens the universe will expand so much that everything freezes because of how far away everything will be from each other. I don’t think it will rip nor do I think it will fall into the Milky Way because it follows the law of thermodynamics.

1 Like