How to serve more than two terms in office?

Generally, I don’t express outrage over what Dems do here, in this forum, you guys do a great job with that, just as you don’t see many people here pointing out the glaring flaws of this President.

I don’t jump in your s%&t because you won’t openly criticize the President or McConnell, or Jim Jordan or Meadows, whatever, I’ll do it for you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That said, if you ask me, honestly, like your question about providing healthcare to illegals. I asked for clarification, fully willing to address the issue, but wanting to be sure we were talking about the same thing, and you went off in a tirade about my intentions.

I don’t have a lot of issues with those people. I have said that I disagree with Trump on the Social Security payroll tax. I think that everyone should have some skin in the game with respect to federal taxes. If you don’t pay anything, and all you do is collect benefits, you will not care how much money is wasted. Something like 50% of the population does not pay any Federal Income taxes.

I am still angry at you over that. You can’t have open borders and free health care. No matter how rich you think that country is, it’s not that rich. That system can’t work. It will bankrupt us, and U.S. citizens who have paid their taxes will get crappy or no health care at all. The system will break down.

I never said that. And if you had answered my question I could have told you that.

But, in the video where Dems are asked a question, that’s not what they are suggesting. Go back and watch it again.

If you can’t figure it out, let me know and I will explain.

The last line of the 12th Amendment to the US Constitution reads as follows:
“But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of the Vice-President of the United States.”
So NO, neither President Trump, NOR former Presidents Obama, G.W. Bush nor Bill Clinton may run as a Vice President nominee, assuming President Trump serves two terms as President.

1 Like

That’s a fair interpretation, but it refers to the Constitution, which does not disqualify a former President as serving as VP, because, at RET points out it specifically states “elected” The 22nd Amendment says:

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once.

It does not disqualify a person who ascends to the office. Or at least that’s my reading of it.

Note that @csbrown28 spends lots of time discussing an impossible situation, like a third term for Trump, yet refuses to discuss the very real issue of free medical care for illegal aliens.

This is the classic MO for the left. Waste time on irrelevant issues to coverup the unattractive aspects of their platform.

Why do we owe free medical care to illegal aliens combined with open borders? You won’t get to discuss that with @csbrown28 because you will have find a computer link for him.

Still can’t answer the question, can you? Now you are quoting yourself which is like a dog chasing his tail. Getting answers out you on controversial Democrat Party positions is an example of tail chasing.

Are you REALLY this dense? No President who has served two elected terms as President is ELIGIBLE to serve as a VP because they aren’t constitutionally eligible to serve as PRESIDENT any longer.

He is dense when it suits defending his positions. Note my simple question about giving free health care to illegal aliens.

What an idiotic idea. It’s the LAW!

In your mind, does that mean they can’t serve as speaker of the house or any position in the line of succession then?

1 Like

Very few former presidents have gone to Congress or the Senate after their presidential terms. The only two that come to mind are John Quincy Adams, Congress, and Andrew Johnson, Senate. Neither of them were in leadership positions.

Once more this would be an extremely remote possibility.

John Tyler was elected to the Confederate Congress, but he died before he could take the seat. I don’t think that counts.

1 Like

Remote for sure, but interesting to consider. Thanks for the historical background.

No. They can serve in any other position in the line of succession…just not the VP. If it got down to the 3rd in line, the Constitution simply allows those ineligible to serve as President to be skipped until someone who IS eligible is reached. That doesn’t apply to the VP job, however because of that pesky 12th Amendment which PROHIBITS anyone ineligible to serve as President to serve as Vice President and anyone who has served their 22nd Amendment 2 elected terms cannot serve a third term, elected or not, so can’t serve as VP EITHER.

Really, the only bar to this is just the election process itself. Let’s say a former president was selected to be the party’s VP and the states let them on the ballot and then they won election. When the newly elected president leaves, no one is going to stop them from being president. The Court would find a BS excuse to avoid the issue and let them serve. I think there’s just about a 0% chance the SCOTUS would risk ordering the current president out of office.

Never happen. All the opposition needs to do is quote both the 12th and 22nd Amendments and no former President who had already served two terms could CONSTITUTIONALLY assume the Presidency for a third…period.

1 Like