I have given this a lot of thought, and here is my plan to win elections in 2014 and 2016.
In a sentence, the plan is "Lean (athletic), effective government for all Americans"
We have to make it clear that we can bring great results for the poor, out of work etc while using less money. The democrats are fat blobs trying to throw more money at the problem while not solving them, government is ineffective and not the solution.
We need to sell our ideas as solutions to problems; including inequality. Free markets have done more to reduce inequality than any other force in history, and our ideas should be draped in lifting up the poor by making them business owners, having dreams, receiving superb educations, and living in safe neighborhoods.
1) Change the nomination process. The party needs to not let candidates run that are going to screw things up. Never let a candidate run that is not near the average of the party in conservatism. (No crazies, no romney-cains)
2) The time for social conservatism is past, never mention it on the national party platform again. Make this a state issue.
3) Except on abortion and religious freedom, these two issues should never be compromised. Government should never sponsor abortion, government should never force a religious group to do anything. Do not answer any questions mentioning rape besides saying you don't support it.
(candidates and outreach)
4) Make every district and every race competitive. Find a talented person in every 90% black or hispanic district and fund them and run them. Have them explain the party's message and how the republicans will help them rise up. Especially Asian and hispanic immigrants, as they are a natural fit for the party.
5) Embrace an immigration reform inviting everyone into the country who is willing to work. Make them citizens. (rules: must stay employed for 3 years,must pass test,must stop at a new "Ellis Island" like my ancestors)
6) Let anyone who is already in the country stay as long as they have reasonable work history. We should never deny anyone who is willing to work. I would gladly trade a welfare queen for a hardworking Mexican any day and the party should represent this.
7) Inflation causes wealth disparity and makes it so the poor can never get rich. The poor's money literally evaporates, while the rich can avoid inflation. Government spending and excess is causing the inflation. We can throw audit the fed into this.
8) Explain that we have targeted welfare systems to get people jobs. We aren't cutting welfare, we are making the money going to it more effective. We aren't giving out free stuff anymore, we will make the poor communities safe, clean, encourage investment and help people find jobs and get training. We will offer big tax breaks to companies that move into certain areas and help aspiring entrepreneurs get jobs.
9) Lower gasoline and electricity bills. (fight inflation, increase fuel production, build refineries)
10) Do not support laws at the state level when they are clearly unconstitutional, make states rights an issue. Use it to shield you from difficult subjects nationally by not even discussing them. "That isn't what our national party is about." should be a slogan.
11) We don't support government sponsored bailouts or crony capitalism.
12) Make emphasis on small business loans and tax cuts; this increases the level of self employed people and makes more capitalists. Tell the poor and middle class that we are here to try to get everyone to own a piece of the economy.
13) Change tax policy so that nobody pays taxes on the money they need to live while removing all other deductions. (essentially, make the lowest tax bracket start high, to help you pay for every day things)
14) Lower the cost of everyday items (fight inflation)
15) Lower healthcare costs - by 2016, it will be clear that obamacare has been a failure. We will fix the structural problems by training millions of medical professionals. We will get better resources to get more people into school, get people into medical school and specialist and pharmacy training. We will build new universities and require doctors to participate in training. Emphasize that supply is the problem, and increasing supply will lower costs.
16) Obamacare is only designed to make insurance companies rich, we will fix it, and no person will be denied medical care when they need it, by high/variable deductible insurance. No free riders, no insurance mandate, guaranteed payment. We can use it to replace medicaid, over time. Also, the money for this should be invested over time, just like a real insurance scheme. Prices for high deductible are very cheap, much cheaper than obamacare, and we can bill patients on their taxes for several years. The market prevails (they have to pay), but nobody is denied, and we save money.
17) Low interest rate loans for new hospitals and medical facilities, especially where there is a monopoly on health services.
18) We will reduce inner city gang violence by allocating military, national guard, more police etc. Whatever we need to do to make it ready for business. Mostly, I hope to reduce crime by getting people currently on welfare to help patrol, and we will give them the training they need. Some people can be paid to babysit instead of welfare, to watch the kids of the people patrolling.
19) Maximum corporate income tax rate of 15% for businesses over $100,000 profit, 0% for all others.
20) Capital gains tax rate of 15% for over $100,000, 0% for others (helps low income people save and not have to bother with filing investments or bank statements)
21) Make it clear that the party will invest in the technology we need to compete in the 21st century, but again, emphasize that we want new technology, new ideas, and new weapons with less money spent being spread out around the globe. We can still be safe while reducing our overall military size around the world, and America will be more safe because of it.
22) More money isn't the solution, neither is a war on teachers. We will say that every parent should get to send his child to the best schools, private or public, and come out in full support of school choice.
23) Use small business grants et al to move as many charter schools into the inner city as possible. Let the disadvantaged have the same advantages of the rich: attending a private school. This is the same model used for college pell grants etc, and we can refute arguments against it with that.
24) Attending better private schools will make students a shoe-in for college, and we will use our funds to hire the best people from the private sector to universities for real world experiences. We will make you job ready, able to get funding for your ideas, and make your neighborhood a good place to bring it back to no matter where you live.
25) We believe unions keep the market fair to workers, however, when the average government worker is making twice that of the average person, has three times more paid time off, much better insurance and benefits and a pension, when you are making the ordinary person pay for you to live much better while they are suffering; we must conduct ourselves in the best interest of the people who pay the taxes.
The reason that this strategy will work is that it erodes the democrat base. It paints a picture of an America where immigrants and poor blacks are finally able to live in a safe neighborhood, go to good schools, and return to their neighborhood to work and start their businesses. We also won't deny you treatment, but we are broke so you have to pay what you can and will probably have to pay for small things. We won't tell you what insurance to buy, or how to live. That is your business. We will train more doctors so they are there when you need them.
We will fight the costs going up on the things you need to live, and help you keep some of that money so that you can invest and start businesses just like the rich people can. We will not inflate our way to poverty by reining in the federal reserve and reducing overall spending by targeting assistance programs.
By better targeting regulations so that things remain safe but easier, we will help these newly fostered businesses grow and compete with large businesses; while low corporate tax rates will make us competitive internationally again.
We will reduce spending on welfare programs by improving the economies of impoverished areas through business development and crime fighting. We can put people without jobs to work cleaning it up or patrolling so that they have something rewarding to do instead of collecting checks.
Bottom up free market capitalism.
The lower taxes and streamlined regulations will help everyone; cleaning up impoverished neighborhoods, reaching out to blacks and hispanics and telling them that they can be business owners in their own neighborhoods, that we will get them jobs patrolling and building their communities instead of collecting welfare checks, all while making the neighborhood business ready and safe. It makes a positive feedback cycle that invites these people to our economy and to wealth and prosperity.
Evangelists will be needed, nominees that are from impoverished neighborhoods that can advertise this new way and how we have a plan to fight poverty and fix the economy while lowering taxes AND government dependence.
The more vested interest in the economy people have, the less they will believe in socialism and will thus vote republican. We will encourage them to vote for us by raising their self confidence instead of their dependence on welfare.
It won't work immediately, but the strategy is through small cuts to turn minority voters over while not throwing ourselves on any swords with white voters. Minority voters want safety, opportunity and a future for their children, just like anyone else, and we can give it to them better.