How would you replace our current tax system?

The Flat Tax? The Fair Tax? Heck, lets throw in johnwk’s tax plan too. Or something else entirely?

flat tax

Focus on the loopholes first and foremost.

The best way to focus on loopholes is to have a system that is si simple that such things are never needed.

Exactly CL! Flat tax! Or a Consumption tax would work imo.

Flat national sales tax. I want no exemptions, and no refunds for anyone. You buy, you pay. On food also, and require it in states that have no sales tax.

I’m thinking a 3-5% should cover it.

Booo! Sorry, but that still leaves taxing one’s income, which in unConstitutional, in my book.

FAIRTax or the original excise, impost taxes. (Which I think is a bit of a dream, so I’ll settle with taxing what people consume, rather than what they earn.)

You betchyer bottom dollar, and the FAIRTax does exactly that!

A flat tax is far easier to implement than the FAIR tax, since the FAIR tax will have dire consequences to most state governments who use sales and use taxes to raise the bulk of their revenue. I support a flat tax on all earned and realized unearned income, with a limited number of exemptions for retirement savings, the cost of health insurance and charitable contributions.

Is your book missing the 16th amendment?

That wont even cover the military not to mention that banning states from sales tax will only force them into income tax for those who dont have it and higher income tax for those that do and we will still have the same problems we have now except they will be made worse.

Yes, and no.

The FAIRTax would be around 21%. However, all the HIDDEN taxes of what you’re paying for a loaf of bread would disappear. It’s basically monetarily neutral. The point of the FAIRTax isn’t to lower taxes, specifically. It’s to expose them.

I honestly do not mind supporting what is Constitutionally amended for me to support. What I do mind, like most others, is supporting the riff-raff who don’t even know what paying taxes is, and OVER-paying the turds in government, and the nitwits they give “grants” to, and worst of all, the NON-government agencies, such as the EPA.

And before anybody jumps on me over that EPA comment, yes, I know that Nixon started it. For which I could wring his pretty little NECK!

Now there’s an example of a man who was a genius, but did some pretty stupid things.

Really? Show the numbers then.

What would cover it? 10%? 20%?

I dont think you can make tax reform in one big jump, first simplify then reduce. two tax rates 10% and 20% with no deductions

I’m good with that. My preferred method is the flat sales tax with no exemptions. The percentage matters little, so long as it’s uniform.
I expect it would go up and down at first until the first fiscal year is done. Then things would settle into a routine, to include spending habits.

Why two different tax rates?

Just the military? 6%

Because it would keep the same tax revenue we have now, and not overly burden the lower and middle class.

[quote=“JStang, post:16, topic:39541”]
I’m good with that. My preferred method is the flat sales tax with no exemptions. The percentage matters little, so long as it’s uniform.
I expect it would go up and down at first until the first fiscal year is done. Then things would settle into a routine, to include spending habits.
[/quote]Only if we gave Congress an enema first. To allow these same people in office, would virtually guarantee failure. They’d manipulate things, and abuse this system, just like any other. Eventually, they’d expose all the inefficiencies and corrupt the whole process.