I quit: Joel Osteen target of elaborate hoax

Joel Osteen is quitting his church and abandoning his Christian faith, according to an elaborate Internet hoax targeting the Texas megapastor.
Osteen, the very visible face of the Lakewood Church in Houston since 1999, is, in reality, not quitting, despite several phony websites, news stories and even a YouTube video declaring otherwise.

Read more at [I quit: Joel Osteen target of elaborate hoax](http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/i-quit-joel-osteen-target-of-elaborate-hoax/#Tlp82UG7XEomGIwi.99<br /><br />T)
There are those who claim Christians are not under attack here.

It’s pretty difficult for the religious group that’s the majority to be attacked. Didn’t realize you couldn’t read your bible and go to church. You’re fine Sam, really. Nobody is bothered by your religion

Why would Osteen quit Christianity? It’s made him rich, and will continue to. Nobody would believe that anyway.

Then why did certain people bring all of this fake information into existance?

The answer simple. They are attacking this minister.

I’m not necessarily a fan of his but, I have nothing against him either. This was an attack no matter how much you try to down play it via your tolerance for such activity.

Cactus Jack

No slave to dogma…

This message is hidden because Cactus Jack is on your ignore list.

View Post.

Remove user from ignore list

No surprise that the anti-family, anti-Christian shows up with support for his bretheren. Let me guess, he was villifying the victim of the hoax, wasn’t he? So predictable.

There goes another BS meter…

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:4, topic:38991”]
Then why did certain people bring all of this fake information into existance?

The answer simple. They are attacking this minister.

I’m not necessarily a fan of his but, I have nothing against him either. This was an attack no matter how much you try to down play it via your tolerance for such activity.
[/quote]My point exactly. I do not know this guy but this was a premeditated attack on him and from the responses from the gallery they want to po-po the attack.

Slow news day I see.

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:5, topic:38991”]
No surprise that the anti-family, anti-Christian shows up with support for his bretheren. Let me guess, he was villifying the victim of the hoax, wasn’t he? So predictable.
[/quote]With certain posters who post to try to antagonize , this is what they need
[ATTACH]1834[/ATTACH]

When caught on their lies they finally admit they were “just kidding” which means they posted crap just to antagonize.

Slander/false rumors happen to everyone at some point and to some degree. Just so happens it was a Christian minister who is in the spot light alot. Question is do they have a grudge against him or his faith? And if it is his faith will or have they targeted others?

Hardly “Christian persecution” though.

Attacking some telepastor is not attacking Christianity

At least they post crap with the intent to post crap…

Maybe; maybe not. I didn’t read the link (or is it a youtube, which I can’t watch anyway?). It depends on the nature of the attack. I have no time for Joel Osteen, but I certainly wouldn’t condone a lying attack on him. And no matter what you say, Christianity is under attack. Some of the attacks are relatively mild (eg, churches are not to promote voting in a specific way, and although that is supposed to apply to all non-profits, in effect, it is applied only to churches). I encountered a mild form of anti-Christian attack on my last job. At the time, our group had a manager who had been raised Catholic, and grew up in Catholic schools, then, as an adult, attended a Free Methodist University. When we started having “casual day” Fridays, I went in one day wearing a tee-shirt that said, “When all else falls, read the instructions,” with a picture of an open Bible. He told me, “You need to wear a more up-scale shirt on casual day.” But you should have seen some of the shirts that he had no problem with! Then, one of my co-workers was inviting people to read a book he had - it was about some prophecy from a very rigid Catholic (pre-Vatican II) group. I read it, and disagreed with a lot of it, but it had some good stuff in it. The gentleman that was passing around said he had a dream confirming what was in that book, and he typed it out, and pinned it on the outside of his cubicle wall. The manager made him remove it. That’s an attack. No one had complained about it (to my knowledge), and the only comments I ever had on that tee-shirt (from co-workers) were in the order of “I like it!”

Ummm…when one Christian attacks another Christian, how is that an attack on Christianity…??

Umm…it’s obvious that you are here to troll.

Do folks believe that the law should be liberalized to permit public figures/celebrities (such as this telepastor Osteen) to sue for slander?

How is it trolling…??

She tells a story about someone from one christian sect being mean to someone from a different sect. That’s an attack from WITHIN Christianity…!

There are those who claim Christians are not under attack here.

??? If there’s evidence that this hoax was concocted/run out of the WH, “Justice” Department, the State of TX government, etc., fair enough. This, however, sounds more like an example of “Haters gotta hate,” i.e. the current general level of stupid in US society. Why compound the stupid with hyperbole?

Do folks believe that the law should be liberalized to permit public figures/celebrities (such as this telepastor Osteen) to sue for slander?

That’s a lot to chew on. The current state of the law makes it [very difficult for a celebrity to sue successfully for slander. I realize that getting something wrong and damaging (but not maliciously) about some one whose career is selling something (or themselves) to the public is easier than with a “nobody”, and there are people who exploit that. OTOH, from what I’ve read (casually, I may be wrong in this) in EuroLand one can lose such a lawsuit for publishing something true that hurts a public figure’s image and livelihood. Finding a mean between Scylla and Charybdis in this would not necessarily be easy.

Who said he was? She only described him as having a Christian background. Not at all the same thing.