I Should Know This 'But' ..

I probably should know this by now but I don’t.

What do these two bolded items mean?

These are the ‘stats’ that are posted to the right of everyone’s user name but I don’t understand the Threads or Mentioned parts?

Thanks

Political Views:Survey
Threads:335
Mentioned:2 Post(s)

Looks like I’m not the only one that doesn’t know.:no:

Could be that nobody else knows either, ergo no replies; put me in this category.

THREADS is the number of threads you have initiated.

MENTIONED: I have no clue.

Thank You old dog!

Yeah, that MENTIONED one has me scratching my head!:crybaby:

“Mentioned” is a new thing. I mention you whenever I say: {MENTION}sillipuddi{/MENTION} (but with regular brackets). It’s supposed to work with the @ sign in front of the screen name, but I’ve had mixed results with that. I guess you get a tally in your “notifications” at the top of the screen, just like you do for private messages and “thanks.”

[MENTION=321]Fantasy Chaser[/MENTION]

Testing to see if it works! lol:devil:

Nope!

Let’s try @Fantasy Chaser:banana:

Hey!

Those brackets turned the Mention into the @ symbol!

Still didn’t work but Thank You for participating in my little experiment.:biggrin:

[quote=“sillipuddi, post:9, topic:44531”]
Still didn’t work but Thank You for participating in my little experiment.
[/quote]How would you know if it worked when the “mention” is NOT for you? In your example, FC would get the notice, not you.

If you want to see if it works, do it with YOUR OWN screen name . . . then YOU should get the notice.

Actually, it did; the mentions in both posts showed up on my profile page. You can check that yourself by clicking on my screen name on this post, or you can click on “Fantasy Chaser” where you “mentioned” me in your own post; you’ll note that the “mentions” turned “Fantasy Chaser” into links in your two test posts.

[MENTION=11555]sillipuddi[/MENTION]

Seems kinda…pointless?

I like it, it is a way to draw attention to something you want someone to see who is not subscribed to the thread that you are posting in.

For instance, sillipudi could have asked these two questions with a mention to a mod and the mod would get an email to check this new thread and answer the question even though they were not subscribed to this thread yet.

1 Like

[quote=“RET423, post:14, topic:44531”]
I like it, it is a way to draw attention to something you want someone to see who is not subscribed to the thread that you are posting in
[/quote]Yes, I agree with you WHEN A POSTER IS NOT SUBSCRIBED TO A THREAD.

But, some times a poster HAS posted in that thread (which means they are subscribed to it), and in that case it IS redundant when it’s used.

There is no need to use it for a person that has already posted in the thread . . . they’re going to see it anyway.

OTOH, using it, as you say, when someone has NOT posted in the thread (IOW, is NOT subscribed) DOES make sense.

Hello, stranger!

I don’t even subscribe to threads; I go wherever there are new posts - except that I generally avoid the Election forum (been doing that for a long time) the young folks’ forum, and the Sports forum.

Oh, yes, and the entertainment forum - and of course, the videos forum - that was created on purpose for folk like me who want to avoid videos due to slow dial-up.

It’s very helpful for this point specifically. If you want to grab my attention, or the attention of a moderator, or just another poster that doesn’t watch all the threads - then mention them. [MENTION=10090]WhoIsJohnGalt[/MENTION] will get me to check out your post and surrounding posts as soon as I’m able to.

[MENTION=6983]Newman[/MENTION]

Hey stranger how has it been?!